Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15   #10606
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I wouldn't be too excited unless the ads seem to reflect your browsing "profile" - it could just mean that some oix sites/ads are being served up on sites you visit. It doesn't mean that webwise is live necessarily. Do you have all the various phorm/webwise sites blocked for cookie setting?

But we have been encouraged towards suspicion by the actions of both Phorm and BT so be suspicious - I would be!
I am blocking it network level and it only way that it worked. bocking webwise.com ona fresh install blcoked about 70% of them. so i decided to block webwise.com and it assicoted ip from my IPCOP urlfilter and block have it translate the DNS to IP and block the ip from OIS level 7 through to 3 and it seems ot have worked i am now gettting zeros ads. i looked at he cookies and they dnt appear to suggest phorm but then again i dnt know what a phorm cookie will involve. The ads that i was getting after fresh install was mostly what i was surfing i even got one about here.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 10:46   #10607
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Can anyone NOT with VM, BT or Talk Talk please PM the above.
PM

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:
I've found where these cookies resolve to - ns-vip3.hitbox.com which is part of the Omniture Network.

Why am I getting their Cookies - and now why are YOU (now confirmed) getting their Cookies?
I did a lookup on hitbox and do not like their history, even though they have since been purchased by Omniture.

I phoned my credit card company up the other day, after receiving a letter telling me about their wonderful new web portal for card users. I phoned them up to complain about their use of hitbox to track visitors, even on the login page and told the poor guy on the website help desk that there was no way that I would ever use that site because it is not secure.

Needless to say, he did not have a clue what I was talking about.

BTW - some of the BT sites use 2o7 for tracking.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52   #10608
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
PM

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

I did a lookup on hitbox and do not like their history, even though they have since been purchased by Omniture.

I phoned my credit card company up the other day, after receiving a letter telling me about their wonderful new web portal for card users. I phoned them up to complain about their use of hitbox to track visitors, even on the login page and told the poor guy on the website help desk that there was no way that I would ever use that site because it is not secure.

Needless to say, he did not have a clue what I was talking about.

BTW - some of the BT sites use 2o7 for tracking.

Yes I have been getting a lot of 207 didn't know where they were from so been deleting them every night
Old 01-07-2008, 11:07   #10609
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Shares dropping..

As at 01-Jul-2008 10:50:24 1,050.000 [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] -75.00 -6.67%
Old 01-07-2008, 11:15   #10610
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

And that's due to Phorm?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24   #10611
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Shares dropping..

As at 01-Jul-2008 10:50:24 1,050.000 -75.00 -6.67%
I'm not a betting man but I reckon it's going to hit rock bottom this time (surely they can't play the bogus trial card again)

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
And that's due to Phorm?
Well - yes...

We're quoting the current Phorm share price

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30   #10612
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
And that's due to Phorm?
Might be the news that a second Yank provider has ditched nebuad.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:35   #10613
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Might be the news that a second Yank provider has ditched nebuad.
If you read all the report, probably WOW as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:35   #10614
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
I'm not a betting man but I reckon it's going to hit rock bottom this time (surely they can't play the bogus trial card again)

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

Well - yes...

We're quoting the current Phorm share price

I expect you will find there will be a big reaction to there being yet another freeze out in the US of NebuAD. Phorm's market is shrinking each week which is not going to please potential or existing investors.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16   #10615
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Yes I have been getting a lot of 207 didn't know where they were from so been deleting them every night
I had over 67 in one day from that site - I've blocked 2o7.net in everyway imaginable - BUT now their clients appear to be adding cookies??

I've also noticed other sites with similar content in the cookies, but the cookie name is ACOOKIE.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32   #10616
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I had over 67 in one day from that site - I've blocked 2o7.net in everyway imaginable - BUT now their clients appear to be adding cookies??

I've also noticed other sites with similar content in the cookies, but the cookie name is ACOOKIE.
Probably using the same method used by the Google cookies in google-analytics where the cookies are set in the name of the domain. Now that G is starting to use a little of the behavioural targeting in its ads display, there is more reason to block all cookies, and to delete those that get set where a site will only function with cookies enabled.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38   #10617
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Probably using the same method used by the Google cookies in google-analytics where the cookies are set in the name of the domain. Now that G is starting to use a little of the behavioural targeting in its ads display, there is more reason to block all cookies, and to delete those that get set where a site will only function with cookies enabled.
All cookies on my pc are just jumbled numbers, letters and symbles but on which is readable by me it clearly gives my user name which is also an email address, this website is only a gaming website which I have all adverts blocked on.
Old 01-07-2008, 13:31   #10618
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I just wanted to update everyone on Baroness Miller quickly.

As many of you know she was good enough to post to this forum last week in response to the concerns she had received from several of our members and I think it is important to let people know that she hasn't stopped there. Her team is currently in communications with myself and several other people in order to assist her in preparing Parliamentary Questions and to keep her aware of the concerns of the general public.

Clearly she is taking this matter very seriously and will be addressing the Home Office on 17th July; she has also provisionally confirmed she will be attending the Protest on the 16th so long as nothing else comes up.

Earl of Northesk is still very much involved in this issue too and has thrown some more questions at the Home Office.

So I just wanted to update people and let them know that despite things seeming quiet, there is a lot going on in the background and it is all very positive. Personally I would like to thank Baroness Miller and her staff for the time they are putting into this matter.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 13:32   #10619
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I've noticed even the BBC site uses Omniture.
Old 01-07-2008, 13:36   #10620
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the latest round of "BERR / ICO / Shriti Vadera" propaganda drop in the mailbox via my MP this morning. The BERR website has this
Quote:
If you wish to speak to us about any correspondence that you have received from, or sent to, the Department you can:

Call us on 020 7215 5000
So I did. I have left a message to speak to someone regarding this and I am going to discuss (assuming they return my call) the interception from the web-site point of view. Is there anything else people would like me to ask / raise if they do get back to me? (If so PM me, so I can keep it together - ta)

If anyone else has received this pack it might be worth making sure they realise how many of us care enough to ring them.
Closed Thread