Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All F1 2005 Discussions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All F1 2005 Discussions

Old 28-05-2005, 11:39   #61
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: All F1 2005 Discussions

If you watch the live timing screens at www.formula1.com you have to register and log in now to view them. Don't know if that was the case for the last race as I was sunning it in the Canaries when that was on. Watched the race over there but it was on a 14" set with German commentry, yuk.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2005, 11:44   #62
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

it wasnt the case last time , i wonder why they have changed it
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 16:18   #63
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

One of the more interesting races, and a supreme illustration of what they mean when they say a flatspotted tyre is like driving with a wheel shaped like a 50p coin.

If you didn't watch it live, the highlights are definitely worth a look - I've never seen one go like that before!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 16:22   #64
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

In the interest of safety though they ought to reconsider the position on tyres.
Old 29-05-2005, 16:29   #65
MrBen
Inactive

MrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
In the interest of safety though they ought to reconsider the position on tyres.
I don't think so. That was part of the thrill. Today McLaren had a choice to bring in Raikkonen, they chose to chance it and it back-fired. Better luck next time.

Ben
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 16:42   #66
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen
I don't think so. That was part of the thrill. Today McLaren had a choice to bring in Raikkonen, they chose to chance it and it back-fired. Better luck next time.

Ben
fair point - and I would 100% agree while it was 'just' causing vibration, but once it started to delaminate it was only a matter of time - and at that point it became a safety issue, in my opinion and the potential for that to impact (npi) on the other cars needed to be considered.

- as it was they threw away 6 points....
Old 29-05-2005, 17:04   #67
MrBen
Inactive

MrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
fair point - and I would 100% agree while it was 'just' causing vibration, but once it started to delaminate it was only a matter of time - and at that point it became a safety issue, in my opinion and the potential for that to impact (npi) on the other cars needed to be considered.

- as it was they threw away 6 points....
The problem is at what point does it become a safety issue? Can 'we' make a decent judgement based on what we can sort of see on the cameras. The driver can feel (!) whats going on but I doubt they can see very much from the cockpit.

I'm of the opinion it's one of those hazards of motor racing. If it starts to become a regular problem then yes maybe it should be looked at but right now, no. Stop meddling.

Ben
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 17:13   #68
ian@huth
Inactive

Many of the changes to F1 regulations have been made on safety grounds. The situation today could have had very serious consequences for not just the drivers involved in the race but also anyone anywhere near the racetrack. It's a good job the wheel tether did its job and prevented the wheel from flying off into the crowd. Exciting it may have been but it should be a priority to prevent a repeat.
Old 29-05-2005, 17:15   #69
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen
The problem is at what point does it become a safety issue? Can 'we' make a decent judgement based on what we can sort of see on the cameras. The driver can feel (!) whats going on but I doubt they can see very much from the cockpit.

I'm of the opinion it's one of those hazards of motor racing. If it starts to become a regular problem then yes maybe it should be looked at but right now, no. Stop meddling.

Ben
like I said, in this case when the tyre starts delaminating, I am actually surprised he wasn't black flagged as a danger to the other drivers - difficult when he is in the lead, I know. As it was, the gamble didn't pay off & no-one was hurt, for which we should be grateful.

I agree with you in the main, but this whole business of one set of tyres lasting the race is looking extremely dodgy, in my opinion - that is the bit of meddling that shouldn't of happened
Old 29-05-2005, 17:25   #70
ian@huth
Inactive

With all the changes there have been this season it is becoming something of a lottery as to who wins. Engine and tyre endurance seem to be more important than driver skill. Weather forecasters will be an important part of the team as they try to determine what tyre compound to use.
Old 30-05-2005, 11:17   #71
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

would have to say that in this case the FIA \ stewards needs to overrul the driver.. none of them would come in even if they knew the tyre would go.. it's just the racers instinct.. that's why it needs the stewards etc to overrule the driver for safety reasons..

The FIA needs to put more pressure on the tyre manufacturers as well.. instead of making a tyre that will just survive a GP they need to make one that will survive a GP + some more miles
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 13:21   #72
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

David Coulthard has labelled Formula One's tyre rules as "dangerous" after the late crash which denied Kimi Raikkonen victory at the European GP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4592713.stm

The problem IMO is that whether a tyre is "dangerous" or not is more than somewhat of a subjective decision. Ok, if it's blatantly delaminating and bits are flying off, yes, it should be replaced as happened, but making drivers keep to one set means they have to drive a bit more carefully and conservatively, something Raikonnen didn't really do!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 15:27   #73
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
would have to say that in this case the FIA \ stewards needs to overrul the driver.. none of them would come in even if they knew the tyre would go.. it's just the racers instinct.. that's why it needs the stewards etc to overrule the driver for safety reasons..

The FIA needs to put more pressure on the tyre manufacturers as well.. instead of making a tyre that will just survive a GP they need to make one that will survive a GP + some more miles
You can't have the race officials making driver's decisions, based on a TV picture. There was an immense amount of skill required to keep that car on the track for as long as he did...he made a calculated risk and lost - that's the game.

The wheels are all tethered to the chasis now anyway, so the risk is far less than you're suggesting.

I also think you're over-simplifying the process of making a tyre. These bits of rubber are incredibly sophisticated - but just like on your car, how long a tyre lasts depends on lots of things...how you drive it, how many kerbs you hit, how warm they get, how warm the tarmac is, the quality of the tarmac and of course how fast you drive and brake.

Michelin and Brigestone are finding their feet with the new FIA rules of not changing the tyres mid-race, so the data that can be collected from a tyre that's been pushed over the edge will be extremely valuable to all drivers in future races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
David Coulthard has labelled Formula One's tyre rules as "dangerous" after the late crash which denied Kimi Raikkonen victory at the European GP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4592713.stm

The problem IMO is that whether a tyre is "dangerous" or not is more than somewhat of a subjective decision. Ok, if it's blatantly delaminating and bits are flying off, yes, it should be replaced as happened, but making drivers keep to one set means they have to drive a bit more carefully and conservatively, something Raikonnen didn't really do!
I think DC has a point regarding the rules, but given the current situation he would have done exactly the same...all those guys have balls of titanium and would have risked a blow-out or crash if it meant the real possibility of winning the race.

The new rule, IMHO, does make for a more exciting race, it pushes the skills of the manufacturers and drivers as well as the development of much more sophisticated tyres. I think if we'd seen many cars coming off in every race then the rule would have to be reconsidered, but this is the first real problem of the season in that regard.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 19:18   #74
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

This race is a cracker, silly mistakes, black flags, good fun.
Have to feel sorry for Montoya, Jensons mistake cost him dear.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 19:28   #75
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

sorry no pity for Montoya

I must say that ITVs coverage is back to its C**P coverage with all these adverts, coming in at the wrong moment.

thay wouldn't put them in a footy match during a penalty shoot out