Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 16:15   #4636
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Personally think a lot of what's being said is pie in the Sky the majority of people will not pay for individual subs bundling content is here to stay for some time.
+1
Old 02-11-2018, 16:22   #4637
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Personally think a lot of what's being said is pie in the Sky the majority of people will not pay for individual subs bundling content is here to stay for some time.
Which is why it seems to me that Sky, VM etc are moving towards offering a bundle of streamers for one price all using the same interface, so no need to go into separate apps.
Old 02-11-2018, 16:45   #4638
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think what will happen ultimately is that there will be bundles of streaming services rather than bundles of scheduled channels, as Horizon says.

Sky is already thinking along these lines, as evidenced by its own box sets being bundled with Netflix. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 02-11-2018, 18:45   #4639
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So currently Disney/Fox license their content across many broadcasters in every country.

In the scenario your describing they keep all their content exclusive and only available in their own streaming service. That's going to require them to recoup significant worldwide subscriptions especially in the world your describing of many streaming services.
Old 02-11-2018, 21:33   #4640
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Exactly right muppetman, but I don't see there being many streamers though. And it's not my scenario, it's what the media companies are opening talking about now.

Take Germany as but one example, Disney and RTL have their joint venture channel called Super RTL, basically the Disney channel in all but name. How can that channel survive when Disney's global streamer launches? Replicate that across the world. It will be a bloodbath.

It's this exact reason why the old Hollywood companies have been reluctant to step too deeply into streaming, as it will close off major sources of revenue for them with no guarantee of success with their streaming services. But they have no choice. Netflix has turned everything upside down and the media companies either compete and copy Netflix, or die.
Old 02-11-2018, 23:47   #4641
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’m not the first to +1 this many posters on here have done so already, and quite rightly.

It’s not just the principle of bundling content into Sky or Virgin’s basic packages, it’s the fact it is a significant portion of revenue to those out there.

Sky/Liberty can also increase the contribution they wish to make for any content on a whim, absorbing small losses here and there where appropriate.
Old 03-11-2018, 00:38   #4642
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Exactly right muppetman, but I don't see there being many streamers though. And it's not my scenario, it's what the media companies are opening talking about now.

Take Germany as but one example, Disney and RTL have their joint venture channel called Super RTL, basically the Disney channel in all but name. How can that channel survive when Disney's global streamer launches? Replicate that across the world. It will be a bloodbath.

It's this exact reason why the old Hollywood companies have been reluctant to step too deeply into streaming, as it will close off major sources of revenue for them with no guarantee of success with their streaming services. But they have no choice. Netflix has turned everything upside down and the media companies either compete and copy Netflix, or die.
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

That’s just the bigger players you then have the likes of Viacom , Discovery the list goes on.

My point is all of those have their content across pay tv channels , terrestrial channels and included in pay TV On Demand packages. A subscription to the likes of VM or Sky currently offers you a selection to content from most of those listed and I struggle to get my head around how people think having to subscribe to all these numerous streaming packages will be somehow better.

People seem to think this streaming world will rid of us all ads which frankly is laughable.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:15   #4643
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

That’s just the bigger players you then have the likes of Viacom , Discovery the list goes on.

My point is all of those have their content across pay tv channels , terrestrial channels and included in pay TV On Demand packages. A subscription to the likes of VM or Sky currently offers you a selection to content from most of those listed and I struggle to get my head around how people think having to subscribe to all these numerous streaming packages will be somehow better.

People seem to think this streaming world will rid of us all ads which frankly is laughable.
Streaming is just inviting advertising into your home in a different (and much more targeted) way.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:30   #4644
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Streaming is just inviting advertising into your home in a different (and much more targeted) way.
Completely agree
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02   #4645
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

Lets see what happens with ads. Netflix is trialling them in America and AT&T is thinking about it. I agree the steamers may not be ad free, but I would expect a few options. One being a more premium option, add free, for a higher price and the other being a ad option for a lower price or no price at all like Sony's Crackle service.

As to whether it will be better, we'll have to see how it all plays out. I have suspicions that it won't be cheaper than current pay tv subs, in fact probably a lot more expensive, but as I said in the other thread, streaming will bring about the death of most linear tv.

Put it this way, if the only place to watch Star Wars, Marvel etc is Disney's streaming service and baring in mind the decline of DVDs now, for those with the dosh, could they afford not to subscribe to Disney's streamer?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:22   #4646
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

It won't be.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

People in the imaginary world will.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:40   #4647
Horizon
Media Watcher

But 130m people, the amount of people who currently pay for Netflix, disagree.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:48   #4648
denphone
Still alive and fighting

And many of those have it as a add on to supplement their normal Linear TV viewing.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26   #4649
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And many of those have it as a add on to supplement their normal Linear TV viewing.
As do I, but once all the kind of programmes I watch are streamed, I and many others will ditch scheduled linear TV.

I don't understand this love affair some people are having with an outdated, inflexible system, given the much better alternative, free of advertisements and there when you want it.

I completely understand that there are still problems to be overcome with live streaming, but in a few short years, those problems will be a thing of the past.

I think most people, given the value for money streaming services provide, would go for the streaming services rather than the existing channels if they would be better off as a result. I am already paying for Netflix, Prime and Now TV, so if two or three more streaming services came along to fill in the gaps, I would be very happy to go for them and ditch the £60 or so I am paying now for the pay tv channels.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:33   #4650
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Is it linear if watched at a diff time, Den?
Closed Thread