Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mod tests.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Mod tests.

Old 23-08-2019, 19:36   #31
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Mod tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm assuming that these tests were successful, as i've been told that Freesports HD is now using this standard and that S4C HD is in the process of changing over.
I was amazed when I read about these recent switches, I thought all the HD on satellite was on S2 rather than S. Particularly with Freesports as that's so recent.

I think S2 was part of the Generation 1 specs for HD on Freesat and Sky's HD boxes have always met the spec too, so surprising. I can understand it from the point of view of the satellite operators though, S2 boxes are backwards compatible and S can hold MPEG4 streams as I understand it, so given the cost of satellites (to launch) just keep the status quo for as long as is practical.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2019, 19:48   #32
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I was amazed when I read about these recent switches, I thought all the HD on satellite was on S2 rather than S. Particularly with Freesports as that's so recent.

I think S2 was part of the Generation 1 specs for HD on Freesat and Sky's HD boxes have always met the spec too, so surprising. I can understand it from the point of view of the satellite operators though, S2 boxes are backwards compatible and S can hold MPEG4 streams as I understand it, so given the cost of satellites (to launch) just keep the status quo for as long as is practical.
It’s not really convenient for the satellite operator (in fact S2 lets them squeeze out more bandwidth to sell) but if you are say Channel 5 it might suit you to just throw an HD channel in with your existing SD channels that are on a DVB-S transponder.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 19:51   #33
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s not really convenient for the satellite operator (in fact S2 lets them squeeze out more bandwidth to sell) but if you are say Channel 5 it might suit you to just throw an HD channel in with your existing SD channels that are on a DVB-S transponder.
That's the impression I got when I investigated earlier. Thanks jfman.
Old 24-08-2019, 12:43   #34
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

By using DVB-S2, (which all HD capable receiving equipment should be able to demodulate*), the total bandwidth of the transponder can be increased by over 10mb, thus fitting another HD service onto the transponder.

In theory, this should be all, but some receivers do seem to have difficulty.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 21:52   #35
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It's probably dish alignment causing the problems rather than the receivers.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:24   #36
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A satellite installer has said that some boxes/tuners don't like DVB-S2 at low FEC's eg certain early Sony Panasonic mvision and spiderbox tuners.

The early Manhatten Plaza boxes (like mine) are having problems with this change, which seems to be worse in warmer weather for some reason, and affects recordings made more than watching live TV.

In case anyone here has any problems, his advice was to increase ventilation or add a fan and that the DVB-S2 issue might be helped by slightly altering the frequency and/or symbol rate or by deleting and blind scanning the channels back in.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:49   #37
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I'd be more likely to try and return the hardware as not fit for purpose.
Old 25-08-2019, 00:00   #38
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A satellite installer has said that some boxes/tuners don't like DVB-S2 at low FEC's eg certain early Sony Panasonic mvision and spiderbox tuners.

The early Manhatten Plaza boxes (like mine) are having problems with this change, which seems to be worse in warmer weather for some reason, and affects recordings made more than watching live TV.

In case anyone here has any problems, his advice was to increase ventilation or add a fan and that the DVB-S2 issue might be helped by slightly altering the frequency and/or symbol rate or by deleting and blind scanning the channels back in.
Interesting. I've got one of those boxes, wonder if it's affected, I don't use it often enough to know. Any S2 channels particularly susceptible?
Old 25-08-2019, 16:36   #39
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'd be more likely to try and return the hardware as not fit for purpose.
How far back since you bought the STB can you go though in order to be able to use this remedy?

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Interesting. I've got one of those boxes, wonder if it's affected, I don't use it often enough to know. Any S2 channels particularly susceptible?
AFAIK, it affects all S2 channels. I can't check with my Freesat box either as it's not working due to tree growth or damaged cabling. I'll soon know which it is in the next few weeks as i'm having some of the trees cut down.
Old 25-08-2019, 22:02   #40
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I think consumer rights extend to six years, but ultimately if it doesn't adhere to DVB-S2 spec it was mis-sold.