Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 24-12-2020, 17:46   #5326
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-UK & EU Agree Post Trade Deal

Labour will back the deal.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...?ocid=msedgntp
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2020, 17:49   #5327
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
But blame the Tory's if there are any problems.

I'm quite surprised sir splinter arse isn't sitting on the fence but at least he is absolving himself of any blame, which is the next best thing to abstaining.
Old 24-12-2020, 17:57   #5328
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Well, they are the Government so that would be a fair call.
Old 24-12-2020, 17:57   #5329
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Can you explain how it was a massive net loss for the UK, nomadking?
Boris said so in the press conference. "but our arrangement basically means that financially the British Exchequer loses out on the deal". "Erasmus was all so extremely expensive".
Old 24-12-2020, 18:13   #5330
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Boris said so in the press conference. "but our arrangement basically means that financially the British Exchequer loses out on the deal". "Erasmus was all so extremely expensive".
And he has never told porkies before?

We send almost five times the number of students to the EU than the EU send to the U.K. - I’d love to see the figures that show we contribute five times that of the rest of the EU..

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Not sure I follow. We send proportionally more students to the EU than we receive and the funding for those students comes from a central pot.

However, it's not the funding that is a shame, it is the loss of opportunity to participate in an excellent experience studying abroad. Let's hope that this Turing Scheme is as good or better
Sorry, I forgot the <sarcasm> markers...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 24-12-2020 at 18:16.
Old 24-12-2020, 18:13   #5331
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

AIUI, the host country doesn't charge the foreign student any fees. So, if we were taking in more than we were sending abroad, it was a net loss to the UK.

If this is correct, I can well understand why a British student who is being asked to take on debt for thousands of pounds to pay his or her fees would not be happy sitting next to someone from another country who is getting their education for free.
Old 24-12-2020, 18:18   #5332
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AIUI, the host country doesn't charge the foreign student any fees. So, if we were taking in more than we were sending abroad, it was a net loss to the UK.

If this is correct, I can well understand why a British student who is being asked to take on debt for thousands of pounds to pay his or her fees would not be happy sitting next to someone from another country who is getting their education for free.
You could say the same about any students in an EU University sitting next to a U.K. student...

It’s part of the Exchange Programme, no matter where it is - my son spent his 2nd Year at University of South Carolina, Columbia, and he paid U.K. fees (£3k at the time) - his fellow students paid around $30,000 per year for the same course.
Old 24-12-2020, 18:27   #5333
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Errrr ... I think this explains what Boris is talking about.

Quote:
€30 billion on EU programme for (mostly) EU27 students
UK gets 1/3rd of the benefit it should
Most popular destinations for UK students: USA and Australia
https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_jan_erasmus
Old 24-12-2020, 18:34   #5334
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And he has never told porkies before?

We send almost five times the number of students to the EU than the EU send to the U.K. - I’d love to see the figures that show we contribute five times that of the rest of the EU..

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Sorry, I forgot the <sarcasm> markers...
It would be the Treasury civil servants that were lying, if that was the case.
The contributions to the scheme are based upon GDP, so the UK pays heavily on that count. The costs of the scheme are planned to double from next year.
The average stay of students under the scheme, is 6 months.
Quote:
Regarding the link between Spain and the island, Spain is the first in the ‘receiving countries’ list of British students, followed by France and Germany.
And of course they're going there to study (the beaches and night life).
Quote:
154. Amatey Doku believed that the Government’s policy of ending free movement
would result in “more stringent immigration controls” after Brexit. Mr
Doku acknowledged it was unclear what this might mean for students, but
was “deeply uncomfortable” with any changes purporting to ensure students
did not use the Erasmus programme to “come in, drop out, and stay in the
country”.
Old 24-12-2020, 18:37   #5335
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

I'm quite surprised sir splinter arse isn't sitting on the fence but at least he is absolving himself of any blame, which is the next best thing to abstaining.
ZOMG - imagine blaming the people who wanted this, won an election on promising this, negotiated this, and are taking all the credit for completing this, if there are any problems.

Totally unfair!!

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Errrr ... I think this explains what Boris is talking about.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_jan_erasmus
"About us"

https://facts4eu.org/about

Quote:
Who we are
We’re ordinary people, mostly but not exclusively in business, previously minding our own business and living our everyday lives. We just felt we had to step up to the plate.

With the media bias and the one-sidedness of the establishment, it became more and more important to us that the Brexit case was presented using official facts – mostly from the EU itself.

We believe people need and deserve to see factual information about what EU membership really means for the UK. Our Brexit Index contains nearly 2,000 articles and is the largest repository of official Brexit facts anywhere in the world.

Our funding
For Remoaners obsessed with conspiracy theories, we should mention that we have funded 90% of the costs ourselves, with the balance coming from small, individual public donations that have helped us to keep going somehow. None of the donors have so far have been named Vladimir. Sorry to disappoint Remainers who can't deal with facts and prefer to try to attack us personally, but the money is infinitessimally small compared to the funding of Remain campaigns. We suggest Remainers address the facts rather than imaginary conspiracy theories.
Seems legit...

Quote:
UK students using Erasmus+ to study abroad : 9,615
Non-UK students using Erasmus+ to study in UK : 18,702
Almost twice as many EU students benefit, compared to UK students
Twice as many students benefit, with seven times the population...
Old 24-12-2020, 18:50   #5336
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
ZOMG - imagine blaming the people who wanted this, won an election on promising this, negotiated this, and are taking all the credit for completing this, if there are any problems.

Totally unfair!!

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

"About us"

https://facts4eu.org/about

Seems legit...

Twice as many students benefit, with seven times the population...
So how many UK students opting to go to Romania, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania? Not a simple equation, especially as:-
Quote:
Apart from the EU member states, there are other countries taking part in the programme as full members although they have to pay for it and accept the EU principle of free movement of people.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:00   #5337
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Erasmus is another U-turn from BoJo

15th January 2020: "“There is no threat to the Erasmus scheme." (Prime Minister's Questiosn)

24th December 2020: "It was a tough decision..." (Deal annoucement)
Old 24-12-2020, 19:08   #5338
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
In summary
That's the EU's "THINKING OF LEAVING US?" message for those still imprisoned. Forgive me if I don't take a document with the European Commission logo at the top at face value ...
Old 24-12-2020, 19:10   #5339
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Erasmus is another U-turn from BoJo

15th January 2020: "“There is no threat to the Erasmus scheme." (Prime Minister's Questiosn)

24th December 2020: "It was a tough decision..." (Deal annoucement)
Quote:
Following the vote in parliament last week, universities minister Chris Skidmore tweeted that the amendment was “game-playing by opposition parties” and insisted the government was open to participation in Erasmus+, but that this depended on future negotiations.
Quote:
In a speech to vice-chancellors at the Universities UK conference in September last year, education secretary Gavin Williamson said: “I want to reassure you that my department is open to continuing to be part of schemes like Erasmus+. But we have to prepare for every eventuality, and it is sensible to consider all options. As such I have asked my officials to provide a truly ambitious scheme if necessary.”
Last week, The Times quoted a Whitehall source who suggested the Treasury and Department for Education would not prioritise the scheme in future negotiations. The scheme is estimated to cost the European Commission £411m, and the UK government would need to pledge funds to assure UK student access after Brexit.
The Whitehall official told The Times: “The question being asked is whether you want to spend a billion pounds on this or put it into the schools budget.
“Clearly it will depend on the negotiations with the EU but the feeling is that it is expensive and not a priority for the government.”
As I've said, the costs are going to double from next year.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:13   #5340
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
As I've said, the costs are going to double from next year.
I very much doubt it given the pandemic.
Closed Thread