Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 02-08-2018, 20:57   #916
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Interesting to learn that even those without a 4k TV are better off using UHD channels when available.

It will take up more recording capacity, so that's worth bearing in mind if space is running low!
According to spiderplant, not very much of an increase. This is good news for when the UHD dramas start to come along. Hopefully, not too much longer now!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2018, 21:03   #917
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
Is BT 4k in HDR?
No it's not. None of the 4k stations are HDR.
Old 02-08-2018, 21:04   #918
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No it's not. None of the 4k stations are HDR.
Ah ok, how about Sky Sports UHD?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 21:11   #919
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No broadcast or On Demand 4k is HDR.

I think it's due to there not being a set standard for it yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 21:12   #920
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
We do not have Sky Sports UHD at the present time, as you know.

What the situation will be following the 2019 carriage deal, we will have to wait and see.
Old 02-08-2018, 21:22   #921
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Anyone else getting occasional sound dropouts on BT Sport 4K?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 21:29   #922
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
If you are, report it to Customer Services. Not much we can do about it here, I'm afraid.
Old 02-08-2018, 22:26   #923
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No broadcast or On Demand 4k is HDR.

I think it's due to there not being a set standard for it yet.
There is a standard, it's the HLG the BBC was testing on iPlayer recently. They developed it with Japan's NHK I believe.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 22:41   #924
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you are, report it to Customer Services. Not much we can do about it here, I'm afraid.
I'd say there's quite a bit we can do about it. I'd also be interested to know if anybody else is also having the same problem.

Gavin: Try changing the Dolby setting on the V6. That's always a good start for any audio problem.

If that doesn't resolve it, some questions...
How do you get your sound? Is it just HDMI straight from V6 to TV, with sound coming out of TV speakers, or something more complex (like an amp or soundbar)?
Are you using an HDMI lead that was supplied with your V6?
Just after the sound has dropped out, if you rewind a bit and play the section again, does the sound drop out again in the same place?
Do the drop-outs happen at regular time intervals, or are they random?

Last edited by spiderplant; 02-08-2018 at 23:00. Reason: One more question
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 22:52   #925
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I'd say there's quite a bit we can do about it. I'd also be interested to know if anybody else is also having the same problem.

Gavin: Try changing the Dolby setting on the V6. That's always a good start for any audio problem.

How do you get your sound? Is it just HDMI straight from V6 to TV, with sound coming out of TV speakers, or something more complex (like an amp or soundbar)?
Just after the sound has dropped out, if you rewind a bit and play the section again, does the sound drop out again in the same place?
Sorry, I stand corrected
Old 03-08-2018, 07:58   #926
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Not heard any but then I'm not 100% paying attention at times.
Quote:
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:00   #927
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:

Do the drop-outs happen at regular time intervals, or are they random?
Sorry for the late reply my sound is just bog standard HDMI V6 to TV

The dropouts were random but during extra time it was fine
Old 03-08-2018, 12:57   #928
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The dropouts were random but during extra time it was fine
OK, sounds like the fault may have gone away. Let me know if it happens again. (Also try that rewinding test)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:13   #929
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Quote:
OK, sounds like the fault may have gone away. Let me know if it happens again. (Also try that rewinding test)
Don't think I'll be watching BT again until Sunday afternoon I'll post in here again with an update if I don't forget
Old 03-08-2018, 13:57   #930
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Given HD channels in UK are 1080i but HDTVs are either 720p or 1080p I'd imagine the downscaled 4K is likely to look better as it would be displayed at 1080p I'd have thought.
A bit pedantic but there are and was hardly any 720p TVs on sale.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote