Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2018, 22:59   #2191
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Something wrong there then , just tried a UHD title and it was available in under 10 seconds.
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2018, 23:06   #2192
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Obviously it depends on speed, which Sky can’t guarantee the highest speeds for everyone. I’d be highly doubtful that your experience is representative. Especially for those on the non-fibre product.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/S...w/td-p/2761511
Old 20-09-2018, 23:19   #2193
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Wi-Fi issue , network issue , server overload issue at that time many possible answers without more info impossible to say.
Old 20-09-2018, 23:24   #2194
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Haha. It’s impossible to say, of course it is.

So we can safely say the content providers have no interest, because it affects their own ability to monetise their own content. The rival platforms, who are also content providers, couldn’t match it in their own IP infrastructure at this time.

Of course it could “easily be ironed out” - which is why Liberty have agreements (I think) in ten of twelve European markets but not the UK. I wonder what qualities the UK television market has that the ten don’t?
Old 20-09-2018, 23:29   #2195
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Time will tell , I'll happily admit I'm wrong (won't be the first time) if cloud recording doesn't appear in the UK at some point.
Old 20-09-2018, 23:37   #2196
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Given an infinite amount of time it’s inevitable- the non-cable IP infrastructure and compression technology will sufficiently evolve.

However we will be at the back of the queue for a number of structural reasons in the market.
Old 21-09-2018, 00:10   #2197
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Love John Wayne Movies?

Sky Cinema Select will be known as Sky Cinema Western from September 22nd to October 1st.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 21-09-2018, 02:39   #2198
jfman
Architect of Ideas

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=fr&mux=C072

Given the variation in bitrate on this frequency I’d hazard a guess this is the hidden Gold HD testing in the background, on a frequency we’ve known for some time could support a sixth HD channel (indeed, others have seven).

I’m curious what “reconfiguration” could have caused this delay, on a frequency we have always known could have carried a sixth channel.

I’m happy to take this as evidence supporting that it was entirely contractual, and that there’s plenty of bandwidth out there for new channels as and when Virgin see fit.

Liberty Global are also committed to upgrading its European networks to 1Ghz, with the Superhub 3 supporting downstream in the 860Mhz to 1Ghz range.
Old 21-09-2018, 10:49   #2199
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Of course there’s a reason.

Why would say, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 who are planning a “Netflix rival” allow the cable operator to store five years worth of content?

Of course they could slap a high price on it, however given the “price rises” thread would the customer base pay more for it? Unlikely.

Similarly Sky and BT, who would struggle to offer a comparable service without impacting broadband speeds, would have no real incentive to make their content available.
Or you could look at it another way. Why not accept a VM deal to pay for their customers to access that content rather than allow them to record it for free?

Given that people will record programmes anyway, and provided you can only record (or should I say 'bookmark') the programmes from the EPG, I don't think that such an arrangement would affect audience figures for programmes repeated at a later date or uploaded to a streaming service. It's just a different way of recording, after all.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:

So there’s no incentive that you can quantify for the content providers I listed to allow Virgin to offer this service?

Sky and BT couldn’t easily replicate this kind of service on their platforms having significant impact on their non-fibre domestic internet speeds. They’d need to migrate everyone to fibre first.
There is. Instead of allowing people to record for free, charge Virgin to make the facility available. That is part of the monetisation you were referring to earlier.
Old 21-09-2018, 15:38   #2200
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Or you could look at it another way. Why not accept a VM deal to pay for their customers to access that content rather than allow them to record it for free?

Given that people will record programmes anyway, and provided you can only record (or should I say 'bookmark') the programmes from the EPG, I don't think that such an arrangement would affect audience figures for programmes repeated at a later date or uploaded to a streaming service. It's just a different way of recording, after all.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

There is. Instead of allowing people to record for free, charge Virgin to make the facility available. That is part of the monetisation you were referring to earlier.
Giving users the ability to record/bookmark to the cloud would, in the five year example, have huge negative implications for BBC/ITV etc. Right now I’d have to decide if something was in the top 500 hours (HD) of content I wish to retain. I’d also be committed to retaining that single STB, with it’s failure or if I choose to upgrade I would lose out.

If the cloud was set up with everyone sharing the same source recordings the amount a user could retain would be virtually infinite.

If a user could go back and say, rewatch the whole of Line of Duty or Broadchurch, in my view it’d impact on the resale rights by those production companies or the success of any future “Netflix style” operation they have planned.

If there was any reasonable chance of this launching here I believe we’d have it by now or be in very advanced development. Liberty already have nearly 2m STBs out there.
Old 21-09-2018, 18:08   #2201
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Too much money to be made (including for the actors) in re-runs and sales to other markets.

Keeping "everything" on the cloud, free to access by customers, would destroy that model.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-09-2018, 18:31   #2202
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The 'available to play' should be based on your download speed.

It does some calculation to ensure you can't start playing it until it knows you will not catch up with how far it has downloaded.

I find UHD series (up to one hour) are available in a few second.

Quote:
You fail to elaborate how these rights issues are “ironed out” when you can’t even state what benefits there are to these broadcasters to engage with such a platform?

My experience of Sky Q it takes minutes to get HD to be playable.
Old 21-09-2018, 18:47   #2203
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Too much money to be made (including for the actors) in re-runs and sales to other markets.

Keeping "everything" on the cloud, free to access by customers, would destroy that model.
No, it would not, provided there was a time limit. As I said earlier, it's just another method of recording.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Quote:
Giving users the ability to record/bookmark to the cloud would, in the five year example, have huge negative implications for BBC/ITV etc. Right now I’d have to decide if something was in the top 500 hours (HD) of content I wish to retain. I’d also be committed to retaining that single STB, with it’s failure or if I choose to upgrade I would lose out.

If the cloud was set up with everyone sharing the same source recordings the amount a user could retain would be virtually infinite.

If a user could go back and say, rewatch the whole of Line of Duty or Broadchurch, in my view it’d impact on the resale rights by those production companies or the success of any future “Netflix style” operation they have planned.

If there was any reasonable chance of this launching here I believe we’d have it by now or be in very advanced development. Liberty already have nearly 2m STBs out there.
Well, the 5-year limit already applies elsewhere. There's a limit to how much you can actually watch, anyway!
Old 21-09-2018, 18:52   #2204
jfman
Architect of Ideas

So the whole point would be to inhibit the service, restricting recordings to a few months, why not restrict the capacity to something like 1TB as well?

Might as well keep a V6 as is.

As I’ve said structural issues in the UK market mean we are unlikely to see it, despite Liberty rolling it out elsewhere in Europe where it doesn’t have the same issues.
Old 21-09-2018, 19:50   #2205
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So the whole point would be to inhibit the service, restricting recordings to a few months, why not restrict the capacity to something like 1TB as well?

Might as well keep a V6 as is.

As I’ve said structural issues in the UK market mean we are unlikely to see it, despite Liberty rolling it out elsewhere in Europe where it doesn’t have the same issues.
I never said restricted to a few months, and I have pointed out that elsewhere in Europe it is five years.

Two years would be good, I think, but one year would be too restrictive. About half of my recordings are one to two years old. If we had cloud recordings, what would be the difference to broadcasters?

I think you are seeing obstacles where there are none.
Closed Thread