Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

Old 07-01-2023, 19:17   #61
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

Quote:
A garage killed my 27-year-old Skoda,

lmfao...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2023, 20:01   #62
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The primary route for water contamination in fuels was determined to be via condensation in fuel tanks, not by simple contact with damp air. The droplets would sink to the bottom of the tank and be absorbed by the ethanol as it broke down by phase separation, which could take weeks or months, depending on conditions.

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it. That's less than a pub measure of spirits.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
lmfao...
They changed the front disks, hubs, callipers and pads in December 2021. They also changed a back tyre.

When I took the car for that same tyre to be repaired elsewhere after picking up a nail, I was told that they were having difficulty getting the wheel nuts back on. They showed me stripped threads in the hub.

They managed to get the wheel on secure, but suggested the hub be changed.

So l took the car to the original garage for it's service and MOT in December 2022. No call from them later in the day, but they sometimes take 2 days to get it done, so I didn't call until early the next day. No-one answered the phone. Several phone calls didn't get answered throughout the day. But on the third day they answered, blaming a glitch that cut their phones off.

The boss came on the phone and said that my car was a write-off. Their pneumatic hammer tools that tighten the wheel nuts had been wrongly calibrated by an outside firm, and had been tightening them far too much. He had spent 2 days trying to find replacement parts, both front and rear hubs, but they were in stock nowhere, even in Czechia where they were made.

A few other customers had their hub threads stripped also, and one went to Trading Standards. The garage owner was told to recall all vehicles they had removed and replaced wheels on. That was in the summer of 2022, but for some reason my car had not been recalled.

He reported my car as "damaged beyond repair" to Trading Standards and their own insurance company, including photos and bills for the work that had been done, in 2021 and 2022.

It's with the insurance companies now, so I expect a fat cheque at some point.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 20:08   #63
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The primary route for water contamination in fuels was determined to be via condensation in fuel tanks, not by simple contact with damp air. The droplets would sink to the bottom of the tank and be absorbed by the ethanol as it broke down by phase separation, which could take weeks or months, depending on conditions.

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it. That's less than a pub measure of spirits.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

They changed the front disks, hubs, callipers and pads in December 2021. They also changed a back tyre.

When I took the car for that same tyre to be repaired elsewhere after picking up a nail, I was told that they were having difficulty getting the wheel nuts back on. They showed me stripped threads in the hub.

They managed to get the wheel on secure, but suggested the hub be changed.

So l took the car to the original garage for it's service and MOT in December 2022. No call from them later in the day, but they sometimes take 2 days to get it done, so I didn't call until early the next day. No-one answered the phone. Several phone calls didn't get answered throughout the day. But on the third day they answered, blaming a glitch that cut their phones off.

The boss came on the phone and said that my car was a write-off. Their pneumatic hammer tools that tighten the wheel nuts had been wrongly calibrated by an outside firm, and had been tightening them far too much. He had spent 2 days trying to find replacement parts, both front and rear hubs, but they were in stock nowhere, even in Czechia where they were made.

A few other customers had their hub threads stripped also, and one went to Trading Standards. The garage owner was told to recall all vehicles they had removed and replaced wheels on. That was in the summer of 2022, but for some reason my car had not been recalled.

He reported my car as "damaged beyond repair" to Trading Standards and their own insurance company, including photos and bills for the work that had been done, in 2021 and 2022.

It's with the insurance companies now, so I expect a fat cheque at some point.
What was the valuation of your old car?
Old 09-01-2023, 20:17   #64
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I know it's no help to you now but I go to a small garage and the boss there doesn't use air guns for this very reason. He's got his old trusted wheel brace and checks the nuts with a torque wrench when he puts them back on.

I know it's in the hands of the insurance companies but I bet you could still do without the hassle.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 22:16   #65
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could just remove the ethanol from the petrol , i do so my lawn mower keeps running ok
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 22:48   #66
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkt10 View Post
You could just remove the ethanol from the petrol , i do so my lawn mower keeps running ok
Surely it’s more cost effective to just use premium unleaded than to muck about separating the ethanol from E10?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 23:46   #67
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Surely it’s more cost effective to just use premium unleaded than to muck about separating the ethanol from E10?
For something like a lawnmower, where you only need a few litres. its not hard or expensive.
All you do is mix it with water, shake, leave, and drain away the water. However, its not really practical to keep doing it to fill a car.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:47   #68
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
For something like a lawnmower, where you only need a few litres. its not hard or expensive.
All you do is mix it with water, shake, leave, and drain away the water. However, its not really practical to keep doing it to fill a car.
It’s great that you’re not spending money on equipment or consumables to do the separation, however if you get all the ethanol out, you end up with only 90% of the fuel you paid for.

On average, premium unleaded is 10p a litre more than regular E10 but at current prices, removing the ethanol leaves you short of 15p worth of your E10. Yes it’s only 5p but even for a lawnmower it hardly seems worth doing the chemistry.

I dunno maybe it’s just me. I started putting premium in mine last season. No stress no fuss … it actually seemed to sound happier, although that’s not saying much for my knackered old machine. Then we moved house and I left it behind anyway. I have a smaller lawn and an electric mower now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:21   #69
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What was the valuation of your old car?
I had an "Agreed Value" of £1k, but I don't know what their insurers will come up with.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:53   #70
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I would have thought a 27-year-old Skoda would be scrap material.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:58   #71
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yer I can't see an Insurance company paying £1000 for most 27 year old cars let alone a 27 year old skip...... Errr Skoda!
Old 10-01-2023, 15:52   #72
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The only rust that had to be repaired was in a rear wheel arch where the weld was split by dropping off a jack before I bought it.

One new exhaust about 10 years ago, 5 tyres (cracked not bald), a new alternator 6 years ago, and a refurb of the starter motor 2 years ago.

And with 47k on the clock, it was barely run-in.
Old 10-01-2023, 19:14   #73
Taf
cf.mega poster

Back on subject:

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it.

That's less than a pub measure of spirits!
Old 10-01-2023, 19:29   #74
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

E10? Rubbish. Meths is a far superior drink.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 19:30   #75
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

When it comes to petrol garden equipment, E5 is the prefered fuel.
I belong to a charity which is charged with keeping our local graveyard tidy, £1000 mower doesn't like E10 coughs and splutters whilst E5 ir runs sweet!
We found that if using E10 the ethanol mix attacks the fuel lines and causes sediment to collect.
We now over the last 4yrs empty all the fuel from our assorted Stahl strimmers when season closes end November.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote