Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 21-11-2005, 00:29   #181
homealone

Re: What are you reading?

going through the 'back catalogue' atm,

"Icerigger" by Alan Dean Foster - good pulp scifi from an ace storyteller
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2005, 07:29   #182
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Just be sure to take what he calls 'facts' with more than a pinch of salt....!
A skip full of salt more like! LOL A case of trying to turn fiction into fact.

Old 21-11-2005, 18:33   #183
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Just be sure to take what he calls 'facts' with more than a pinch of salt....!
A skip full of salt more like!
Hmm, so much for the Government's "Six Grammes Per Day" campaign
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 19:12   #184
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Currently not reading anything.The minute I pick up a book I find myself waking up with a crick in my neck and drool coming out of my mouth while my husband bitterly complains about the snoring during his tv watching.
Old 22-11-2005, 00:40   #185
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 09:08   #186
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT
A skip full of salt more like! LOL A case of trying to turn fiction into fact.

Depends on your view on life etc.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 10:44   #187
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

am now reading Four Novels by Dashiell Hammett.. it's got the Maltese Falcon.. i've already read it before but i've seen the film a few times and am now reading the book again.. after a few more times i might be able to work out what's going on :-)
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 10:54   #188
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
Goblet of Fire, other recent reads have been a quick whip through the Dan Browns, Fish! and Who moved my BlackBerry(TM)?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 11:14   #189
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

think we need to make sure everyone does a review of books after they've read them otherwise this thread isn't that usefull
Old 22-11-2005, 11:47   #190
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Dan Brown - DaVinci code - good airport / beach read, enjoyable romp around Paris (even if he does not know his North from his South) that should make a great movie, though Tom Hanks?

Angels and Demons - the prequal to DaVinci, much better story IMHO.

Deception Point - a bit to implausable IMHO, least enjoyed of the 4 books.

Digital Fortress - NSA / US Govt. / Encryption Keys / Supercomputers / EMail security - CF Geeks should enjoy this one.

Who moved my BlackBerry(tm)? - Martin Lukes and Lucy Kellaway
A book of the emails published in the FT of the days in the life of Martin Lukes a high flying executive. All the Management Buzzwords and re-engineering you can take, just remember be Creovative(tm)

Fish! - Management Motivation, how to have a happy workforce like the one at Seattle's Pike Place Market. Narrators tell the stories of various managers and corporations who strive to transform their businesses into places where people play, are nice to each other, and cooperation and teamwork are commonplace. A good read.
Old 22-11-2005, 13:15   #191
sherer
Inactive

thanks for the above.. kepe meaning to check out Da Vinci code just to see what the fuss is al about but i don't like getting on a train and reading the same books as everyone else.. i like to be different.. still my brother has it so will see if he will lend it to me

just to be abit more usefull i review my last book as well

From Goals To Guns : The Story of Hungarian Football 1950-56 . A really good book with lots of great details on the Hungarian football team that lost only one match between 1950-56 (including friendlies Mr Eriksson).. they won Olyimpic Gold and lost the world cup final even though they were the best team.. team had Puskas one of the greatest players every plus a host of other personalities.. still missing out on some more info on the final that has come to light but a very good read.. could have had a few more stories of humour etc from the players that happened at the time
Old 22-11-2005, 14:50   #192
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

So come on, is the da Vinci code worth reading? or is it just 'fashionable' to do so. Only asking cause it's lying on my book shelf waiting to be read. Should I bother? And whats it all about?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 14:51   #193
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

It's a really good read and I reccommend as long as you realise that what Dan Brown claims is 'fact' is often far from it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 15:19   #194
SMHarman
Inactive

You'll know by the time you have reached Victoria whether you want to carry on reading it. Probably yes. The Rough Guide to the DaVinci Code is also on my reading list, as Russ says, take the gospel truth according to Dan with a pinch of salt, it is sold as a work of fiction, it effectivly fictionalises Holy Blood Holy Grail, another one on the reading list.
Old 22-11-2005, 15:20   #195
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo
So come on, is the da Vinci code worth reading? or is it just 'fashionable' to do so. Only asking cause it's lying on my book shelf waiting to be read. Should I bother? And whats it all about?
It's a terrible, terrible book but you can't stop reading it. You are reading chapters thinking, "What ridiculous plot twist will he use now?" but still end up enjoying the book.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote