Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 06-06-2020, 23:26   #16
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Perhaps it's time for everyone to step up and challenge those who express racist views.Not letting family members get away with racist remarks is a start.
In many cases that'd unlikely to succeed. You don't look far to see how the genuine concerns of the black community are immediately dismissed.

The opening post, immediately sought to downplay many of the issues they face as irrelevant. Others have sought to establish - as fact - that many issues faced by the BAME community simply do not exist.

Tens of thousands didn't wake up this morning and take to the streets for a laugh, because they believe they have equal opportunity but fancied a day out. Anthony Joshua the world heavyweight champion in boxing - joined the protests.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2020, 23:51   #17
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Ok so the same question to both you and Pierre.

If a large amount of black youths are carrying knives. High levels of black on black crime. Why is this?
Massive question, lots of socio-economic and other things at play, but that is not the police’s problem.

If, for whatever reason, more black young men carry and are willing to use knives, then the police are obliged to address that.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Quote:
Here’s my point, I don’t believe that black people are genetically predisposed to commit crime more than white, Asian or any other ethnicity.
Of course they’re not.
Old 06-06-2020, 23:56   #18
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Massive question, lots of socio-economic and other things at play, but that is not the police’s problem.

If, for whatever reason, more black young men carry and are willing to use knives, then the police are obliged to address that.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Of course they’re not.
I’m not for one minute suggesting that the police shouldn’t address it. And you’re right it is a massive question. But it’s a just one massive question in a series of massive questions that needs to be answered.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52892949

Some food for thought here.
Old 06-06-2020, 23:57   #19
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

If, for whatever reason, more black young men carry and are willing to use knives, then the police are obliged to address that.[COLOR="Silver"]
The police are obliged to address crime in an even handed and fair manner. Not disproportionately target people based on a racial profile.
Old 07-06-2020, 00:04   #20
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I’m not for one minute suggesting that the police shouldn’t address it.
But you are/were suggesting that the police are not addressing it fairly, disproportionately stopping and searching the black community more than any other group.

But if that group are more of a risk than others, you accept it is right to target them?
Old 07-06-2020, 00:43   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The opening post, immediately sought to downplay many of the issues they face as irrelevant.
No, it didnt.
You just like to argue about everything, as this topic [like many others] is already showing.

Quote:
Tens of thousands didn't wake up this morning and take to the streets for a laugh, because they believe they have equal opportunity but fancied a day out.
Indeed, they obviously decided the current laws of the land, and especially social distancing, dont apply to them, and that potentially catching or spreading CV19 is a great idea.

Quote:
Anthony Joshua the world heavyweight champion in boxing - joined the protests.
Who ? So ? Obviously another fool who will no doubt be complaining if/when he gets ill.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:14   #22
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Indeed, they obviously decided the current laws of the land, and especially social distancing, dont apply to them, and that potentially catching or spreading CV19 is a great idea.
They've probably felt that if enough people turn up, the chances of them being charged are close to zero, not that the laws of the land don't apply to them. But they are being reckless in my eyes and undermine the sacrifices that everyone especially key workers has made to date.
I don't believe there's any evidence to support the theory that they believe catching or spreading it is a good idea. They probably feel it's a risk worth taking to apply pressure at a timely moment.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:10   #23
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well thats ok then, we can all go back to normal, and forget about the lockdown, as long as we feel its a risk worth taking.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18   #24
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Perhaps it's time for everyone to step up and challenge those who express racist views.Not letting family members get away with racist remarks is a start.
l remember my first strong experience of racism was when l was about 13 years old and it was a New Years celebration at home and quite a few were there including the parents friends and a few acquaintances.

One of my families acquaintances passed some comments using racist language towards my younger brother and l.

My Dad and several of my older brothers were not happy as one can imagine and called him out over this and told him to get out straight away which he did and that was that.

Has racism gone away and the answer to that is quite clearly no , has societys intolerence to any forms of racism got better and the answer to that is yes.

Will we will having this conversation in 40 years and the answer is yes.

Remember quite a lot of racism is disguised and subtle rather than being public or obvious.

Last edited by denphone; 07-06-2020 at 05:30.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:35   #25
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l remember my first strong experience of racism was when l was about 13 years old and it was a New Years celebration at home and quite a few were there including the parents friends and a few acquaintances.

One of my families acquaintances passed some comments using racist language towards my younger brother and l.

My Dad and several of my older brothers were not happy as one can imagine and called him out over this and told him to get out straight away which he did and that was that.

Has racism gone away and the answer to that is quite clearly no , has societys intolerence to any forms of racism got better and the answer to that is yes.

Will we will having this conversation in 40 years and the answer is yes.

Remember quite a lot of racism is disguised and subtle rather than being public or obvious.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting racism is gone, it never will be.

But BLM was a slogan/movement set up in the US directly because of black people being killed by the police.

That doesn’t transpose to over here.

If they were to protest about gang culture and the amount of black people being stabbed every week, well I’d get my placard and join them........but they’re not.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:05   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
In many cases that'd unlikely to succeed. You don't look far to see how the genuine concerns of the black community are immediately dismissed.

The opening post, immediately sought to downplay many of the issues they face as irrelevant. Others have sought to establish - as fact - that many issues faced by the BAME community simply do not exist.

Tens of thousands didn't wake up this morning and take to the streets for a laugh, because they believe they have equal opportunity but fancied a day out. Anthony Joshua the world heavyweight champion in boxing - joined the protests.
So starting at home doesn't work for you? So lets just forget self responsibility shall we. If we don't educate our families as a start how can it begin?

I'll also remind you that children are not born racist,they are taught to be so..if we educate the young to avoid it then it becomes easier to face it down in the playground,the street,the borough,the town,the city. If it was a subject that white people weren't afraid to confront in the past perhaps we would be at a stage where we didn't need to be confronting it now.

I have never forgotten the conversation I had in a London Primary school playground in 1959. Asked where I had come from I innocently answered Nigeria. The next question was "Why aren't you black then?" Ignorance is something to be educated against..as that idiot found out.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Quote:
I don’t think anyone is suggesting racism is gone, it never will be.

But BLM was a slogan/movement set up in the US directly because of black people being killed by the police.

That doesn’t transpose to over here.

If they were to protest about gang culture and the amount of black people being stabbed every week, well I’d get my placard and join them........but they’re not.
Black communities live in the worst areas for resources and education..that's what needs addressing.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:14   #27
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well thats ok then, we can all go back to normal, and forget about the lockdown, as long as we feel its a risk worth taking.
It's not ok and I condemned it in the same post. I have a bit of form here as I also condemned the actions of a famous transgressor who should have gone to Specsavers.

You and I weren't there yesterday but Sky News was and subsequently reported the following.
Quote:
The protesters I spoke to said they were more than aware of the potential risks of crowding into the streets around Westminster, but it was a risk they were prepared to take.
The message, they said, was just too important to stay at home.
Around Parliament Square, there was absolutely no chance anyone could effectively socially distance themselves from one and another.
Protesters were shoulder to shoulder, but most did at least have masks on.
https://news.sky.com/story/george-fl...s-out-12002036
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:29   #28
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
So starting at home doesn't work for you? So lets just forget self responsibility shall we. If we don't educate our families as a start how can it begin?

I'll also remind you that children are not born racist,they are taught to be so..if we educate the young to avoid it then it becomes easier to face it down in the playground,the street,the borough,the town,the city. If it was a subject that white people weren't afraid to confront in the past perhaps we would be at a stage where we didn't need to be confronting it now.

I have never forgotten the conversation I had in a London Primary school playground in 1959. Asked where I had come from I innocently answered Nigeria. The next question was "Why aren't you black then?" Ignorance is something to be educated against..as that idiot found out.
Black communities live in the worst areas for resources and education..that's what needs addressing.
I didn’t say it didn’t work for me, I said it’d be unlikely to succeed. Unfortunately many of these things are entrenched in generations, even before I was born. Political parties, across the world, enjoy “othering” as a cheap way to appeal to the majority of the population by arousing suspicion against minorities and appealing to cheap, often evidence lacking, stereotypes.

In the absence of it succeeding all you can do is hope that over time future generations become enlightened. The same way the societal norms of the 1800s, 1900s and 2000s are vastly different on a range of issues e.g. religion, role of women, sexuality, gender, etc. You are unlikely to convince someone who became an entrenched racist in the 1960s that all their lives they’ve been wrong. Their entire mindset is driven by the idea that minorities either shouldn’t be here or should be grateful that they are and not complain about it.

Last edited by jfman; 07-06-2020 at 09:35.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:59   #29
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

What's the difference between 'racism' and 'hate crime'?

Is one of them simply to do with skin colour?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:03   #30
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
What's the difference between 'racism' and 'hate crime'?

Is one of them simply to do with skin colour?
Racism is a broad concept. Hate crime is a (recent) specific legal concept relating to regular crimes getting recategorised based on the motivation behind the crime.