Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 29-04-2019, 11:45   #31
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
As I already have everything in the new VVIP tier in my current package - apart from the 500 Mb broadband speed - as well as 4G mobile, I wonder whether I'll be bumped up to the new tier and broadband speed automatically or if I'll have to wait until I renew. Anyone know?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2019, 11:55   #32
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Very annoying that it's not available standalone.

I have no interest in any of their services, other than Broadband.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 12:48   #33
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
As I already have everything in the new VVIP tier in my current package - apart from the 500 Mb broadband speed - as well as 4G mobile, I wonder whether I'll be bumped up to the new tier and broadband speed automatically or if I'll have to wait until I renew. Anyone know?
Your upload has probably gone up to 35, if not reboot modem.
Old 29-04-2019, 12:52   #34
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

So now we wait to see if all of us on 300-350 will be upped to 500 as we have the same upload
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 12:55   #35
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I wonder whether I'll be bumped up to the new tier and broadband speed automatically
it will be an automatic upgrade which you will receive when new tier is available in your area. The other way to go about it is to keep checking the website for what is available in your area and as soon as they say you can receive the speed/that package ring them up and tell them you want it pushing through because you are already paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
we'll get it eventually, they are going to ponse around for a few months trying to make as much money as possible and tell everyone that if you want 500mbits the only way you are going to get it is if you sign up to xxx package at £150/month or whatever it is. It is isn't just VM customers they are thinking about, as a flagship tier which knocks the socks off the competition they'll be thinking about how many people they can pull away from BT etc. As they have chosen to go down this route I imagine there will be an appearance of exclusivity for that tier (6 months) and we won't see 500mbits being made available to lower packages or as a standalone product until Q1 of 2020.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:17   #36
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Your upload has probably gone up to 35, if not reboot modem.
After a hub re-boot I am now getting 35 Mb upload speed - actually a speed check showed 40 Mb - and more than 350Mb (388 Mb) download. Is there a web page where I can check if 500 Mb is available yet in my area?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:25   #37
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I doubt you'll be bumped up as VIP costs £129 and V.VIP costs £139.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it will be an automatic upgrade which you will receive when new tier is available in your area. The other way to go about it is to keep checking the website for what is available in your area and as soon as they say you can receive the speed/that package ring them up and tell them you want it pushing through because you are already paying for it.

we'll get it eventually, they are going to ponse around for a few months trying to make as much money as possible and tell everyone that if you want 500mbits the only way you are going to get it is if you sign up to xxx package at £150/month or whatever it is. It is isn't just VM customers they are thinking about, as a flagship tier which knocks the socks off the competition they'll be thinking about how many people they can pull away from BT etc. As they have chosen to go down this route I imagine there will be an appearance of exclusivity for that tier (6 months) and we won't see 500mbits being made available to lower packages or as a standalone product until Q1 of 2020.
It's a new tier with new pricing so I doubt it will be an automatic upgrade.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:37   #38
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road

I see this when i check services in my area.

Chatted with online sales agent and got this:

"As for the moment, the availability of the 500mbps speed is for the bundle which is VVIP. But do not worry, once this package will stabilize with, surely you can get it even if you have broadband only with us. "

Last edited by Lee; 29-04-2019 at 13:45.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 14:34   #39
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I see this when i check services in my area.

Chatted with online sales agent and got this:

"As for the moment, the availability of the 500mbps speed is for the bundle which is VVIP. But do not worry, once this package will stabilize with, surely you can get it even if you have broadband only with us. "
I get the same for my area. I see that new customers get Full House TV including 2 V6 boxes, 500Mb, a limitless SIM and Talk More Anytime. The first 12 months is for £99, after that it is a 12-month contract for £139. Given that I currently pay £180 monthly for a 350Mb package, it makes sense to end my current contract and get Vivid 500 as a V.VIP customer. Needless-to-say I am now calling customer services.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles

EDIT: I got a result! In 9 days time after they have made adjustments to my account and some technical bits and bobs, VM sales say that all I need do is call them and they will set up V.VIP Vivid 500 for me. This will be as if I was a new customer on £99 a month for 12 months. All this has been promised after I pointed out how unethical it was to offer new customers a much better package for much less than than an an existing customer is getting for an inferior package. At first, when I pointed out that I could end the contract and start a new one, CS insisted that I would have to be without a service for 90 days to achieve that. So, I suggested that I would approach the ombudsman and demanded to speak to a manager. After 10 minutes awaiting an answer I was promised the lot. It pays to moan!

Last edited by roughbeast; 29-04-2019 at 15:29.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 16:28   #40
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

If you select the V.VIP bundle, then personalise it and remove everything but the broadband, it allows you to order broadband only.

When you remove the SIM it warns you that you'll "lose your speed boost" but nothing changes.

However, it is £62.80 a month, with no discounts.

https://imgur.com/djgoGvS
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 16:41   #41
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I get the same for my area. I see that new customers get Full House TV including 2 V6 boxes, 500Mb, a limitless SIM and Talk More Anytime. The first 12 months is for £99, after that it is a 12-month contract for £139. Given that I currently pay £180 monthly for a 350Mb package, it makes sense to end my current contract and get Vivid 500 as a V.VIP customer. Needless-to-say I am now calling customer services.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles

EDIT: I got a result! In 9 days time after they have made adjustments to my account and some technical bits and bobs, VM sales say that all I need do is call them and they will set up V.VIP Vivid 500 for me. This will be as if I was a new customer on £99 a month for 12 months. All this has been promised after I pointed out how unethical it was to offer new customers a much better package for much less than than an an existing customer is getting for an inferior package. At first, when I pointed out that I could end the contract and start a new one, CS insisted that I would have to be without a service for 90 days to achieve that. So, I suggested that I would approach the ombudsman and demanded to speak to a manager. After 10 minutes awaiting an answer I was promised the lot. It pays to moan!
In 9 days time I have a feeling you might be disappointed. Could be wrong but they have a track record on not delivering on prices like that.
Old 29-04-2019, 16:45   #42
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post

Ditto, I wont be paying for a VIP package I dont want or need.

You would think VM would want to get customers, not put them off.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:02   #43
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
In 9 days time I have a feeling you might be disappointed. Could be wrong but they have a track record on not delivering on prices like that.
I hope you are wrong, but I asked for assurances that their commitment is recorded in my notes. I would be surprised to get the £99, but would be very happy with the £139.
Old 29-04-2019, 18:09   #44
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I hope you are wrong, but I asked for assurances that their commitment is recorded in my notes. I would be surprised to get the £99, but would be very happy with the £139.
How come you are paying £180?
Old 29-04-2019, 18:17   #45
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
How come you are paying £180?
i'm also a Homeworks customer.