Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using phone abroad ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Using phone abroad ?

Old 11-09-2012, 18:44   #1
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice
Question Using phone abroad ?

Hi,

I've just been to Menorca for a week and taken my Virgin HTC One phone with me only to find out that i couldn't connect to anything, so couldn't use the internet, text or call anyone. Is it possible to use my phone abroad ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 20:26   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Using phone abroad ?

You need to call them to get roaming switched on and to find out the potential costs involved.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:40   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Think yourself lucky you didn't connect to the internet or you may of had a shockingly high bill.

I just came back from the states and the first thing i did when i was there was make sure my phone couldn't connect to the internet apart from using the villa wifi.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:32   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Think yourself lucky you didn't connect to the internet or you may of had a shockingly high bill.

I just came back from the states and the first thing i did when i was there was make sure my phone couldn't connect to the internet apart from using the villa wifi.
You should do that before boarding the plane and just use internet cafes when abroad unless it is on a business contract and you are not footing the bill.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53   #5
12noon
Inactive

12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
You need to call them to get roaming switched on and to find out the potential costs involved.
Thanks, i'll have to phone up and get it turned on. It can't be that expensive, i know my dad uses his phone abroad all the time. He is on a different network though.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12noon View Post
Thanks, i'll have to phone up and get it turned on. It can't be that expensive, i know my dad uses his phone abroad all the time. He is on a different network though.
Many options nowadays use your own minutes usually for a small fee, Vodafone are a case in point.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The internet abroad could cost you £100-1000s if you're not on the right tariff.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23   #8
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The internet abroad could cost you £100-1000s if you're not on the right tariff.
That is true when it cost £5 per MB to use the internet abroad.

Quote:
Roaming Call Charges
DATA

Accessing Mobile Web:

£5 per MB

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener....sm142#Roaming Call Charges

And the call charges can be found here:

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/callC...nthly&x=16&y=9
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 19:00   #9
12noon
Inactive

Quote:
That's just mad. Surely it shouldn't cost that much to go on such as facebook.
Old 12-09-2012, 20:34   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
That's just mad. Surely it shouldn't cost that much to go on such as facebook.
Anything that uses data while above will rack up charges so you must ensure that Data is switched off on you handset as those charges are not the phone providers fault so you would be responsible for paying that bill.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:18   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

There was some kid who went on a family holiday and took a laptop and downloaded a COD patch, when they got back the bill was over £7,000 and they wanted it.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:20   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
There was some kid who went on a family holiday and took a laptop and downloaded a COD patch, when they got back the bill was over £7,000 and they wanted it.
I wonder if they got it removed doubtful as it is not the providers fault, I would not be able to do anything if I spoke to them and nor would any manager.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:23   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Prices for Roaming in the EU are quite a bit lower now (Thanks to the EU introducing a cap). On O2 you get a daily allowance of 25MB for £1.99. I thought it was well worth it when I was in Paris for a couple of days the other week.

Roaming charges for the rest of the world are still extortionate though.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:32   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Prices for Roaming in the EU are quite a bit lower now (Thanks to the EU introducing a cap). On O2 you get a daily allowance of 25MB for £1.99. I thought it was well worth it when I was in Paris for a couple of days the other week.

You should not be charged more than 50 euros as long as you ring in to get an addon on your phone otherwise its your fault.
Old 17-09-2012, 15:14   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
No it can't, by law it's limited to £40 in a month unless you specifically agree otherwise.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
You should not be charged more than 50 euros as long as you ring in to get an addon on your phone otherwise its your fault.
Some providers require you to (and will automatically) opt out of the EU cap if you go on one of the "saver" packages, e.g. £1.99 per day or whatever.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post

O2 really just copied Vodafone who did 25MB for £2.00 last year. Voda now does use-your-UK-allowance for £3.00 a day or if you're a heavy user 3 does unlimited data for £5 a day. Most of the MVNOs compare pretty poorly to the big providers.

Wish O2 would do the same as Voda, since I have unlimited UK allowance
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote