Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2008, 17:28   #9061
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hmmm do I detect cogs falling into place?

Stephen Timms has been replaced as broadband minister by Baroness Shriti Vadera, formerly of the Department for International Development. As the competitiveness minister, one of Timms's briefs had been the UK's broadband infrastructure, currently in a state of flux as the core network is being upgraded by BT and others into a "next-generation network" (NGN). He had also been dealing with more general IT issues, like training and e-commerce. The move towards "next-generation access" (NGA) — or fibre to the home (FTTH) — will pose challenges for Vadera, as it is yet to be determined who will pay for the upgrade. (my emphasis).

So the govt needs a big favour from BT, and BT needs....

As usual the Reg. got the story http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...adband_review/
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2008, 17:40   #9062
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

well they got silly high profits and even stupidly high bonuses yet they want who to pay for the up grade?
Old 16-06-2008, 17:58   #9063
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
Hmmm do I detect cogs falling into place?

Stephen Timms has been replaced as broadband minister by Baroness Shriti Vadera, formerly of the Department for International Development. As the competitiveness minister, one of Timms's briefs had been the UK's broadband infrastructure, currently in a state of flux as the core network is being upgraded by BT and others into a "next-generation network" (NGN). He had also been dealing with more general IT issues, like training and e-commerce. The move towards "next-generation access" (NGA) — or fibre to the home (FTTH) — will pose challenges for Vadera, as it is yet to be determined who will pay for the upgrade. (my emphasis).

So the govt needs a big favour from BT, and BT needs....

As usual the Reg. got the story http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...adband_review/
Well since BT are going to pay Ian £50,000 a year more than thye paid Ben and another person who moves up will get a £196,000 pay rise taking his pay to match Ian's BT could have funded Fibre to the home on the TOP brass wages.
Almopts forgot Ben's leaving present £700,000 plus £300,000 for his contribution towards 2008/2009.
Old 16-06-2008, 18:17   #9064
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

I have finally received a letter back from Liberty, after writing to them a couple of months ago. They have taken the time to explore the legal issues and avenues for possible legal redress, though they do admit that they are somewhat hindered by a lack of technical expertise.

I have asked for permission to share the document with others. I have already scanned the letter and put it into pdf format. If I get the go-ahead, I'll certainly be willing to share it with anyone who is interested in having a look.

Not sure if publishing it online is the wisest decision. If Phorm wants to withhold information from us, there is no reason why we should share all our information with them.
Old 16-06-2008, 18:19   #9065
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Not sure if publishing it online is the wisest decision. If Phorm wants to withhold information from us, there is no reason why we should share all our information with them.
Perhaps a good idea.."keep your powder dry" springs to mind!
Old 16-06-2008, 18:23   #9066
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Perhaps a good idea.."keep your powder dry" springs to mind!
I agree. However, if you are willing to send by PM?

BTW Guys. Is it not likely that Webwise will be activated on the Net for Peak hours sometime? It occured to me, that www.bt.webwise.com is Administrated in the USA, so it is possible.
Old 16-06-2008, 18:48   #9067
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Sneak preview of the new design for NoDPI.Org

The colours are just place holders. Let me know what you think.

Alexander Hanff
Hi Alex,

Just my 2p worth, have you fort about the DDA compliance for your site?

Bobby test on your site

This page does not meet the requirements for Bobby Approved status. Below is a list of 1 Priority 1 accessibility errors found:
  1. Provide alternative text for all images. (1 instance)
    Line 16
--- End of test ----

Plus you have a number of Errors on the page See Screen Shot Attachment. The Errors are:

01) Username - Box not visible
02) Password - Box not visible
03) Menu Item 1 | Menu Item 2 | Menu Item 3 - not visible

[Edit]

Woops Good luck with it all Alex
Old 16-06-2008, 18:56   #9068
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Also, fully committed unless those people were unwittingly used as guinea pigs in secret trails.
They would seem to have been in the BT trials....see #9054
Old 16-06-2008, 19:01   #9069
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Hi Alex,

Just my 2p worth, have you fort about the DDA compliance for your site?

Bobby test on your site

This page does not meet the requirements for Bobby Approved status. Below is a list of 1 Priority 1 accessibility errors found:
  1. Provide alternative text for all images. (1 instance)
    Line 16
--- End of test ----

Plus you have a number of Errors on the page See Screen Shot Attachment. The Errors are:

01) Username - Box not visible
02) Password - Box not visible
03) Menu Item 1 | Menu Item 2 | Menu Item 3 - not visible
First off it is just a layout mockup, there are no alt tags or title tags on any elements, there will be on the final version though.

There is no username or password input boxes yet, I was just laying up where they will go.

Also, what abomination of a browser are you using? What ever it is it is no-where near standards compliant. The site renders fine in Firefox2, Firefox 3, Opera, Safari, Epiphany and as far as I know IE7 (although I don't have IE to test it on). Are you using IE 6 or something?

I can't develop for IE because I don't own a single windows computers and therefore I don't have IE, but I do code to the w3c international standards so I would recommend you choose a browser which supports those standards.

I have to code to the standards because I have no way of checking in IE to add extra code to deal with IE quirks.

I am not trying to be flippant and I appreciate the feedback but I can only code to browsers I can physically use and the standards as set out by w3c.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Just had another look and judging by the fact that you don't have support for transparency in png files, I am presuming you are in IE 6? You really should upgrade to the latest version of IE to avoid security issues or better yet switch to Firefox or Opera which both comply to the relevant standards.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-06-2008, 19:01   #9070
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
seems to me they want to hassle kids who in turn make demands on parents

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4066426.ece
not happy about that either.
As I understand it, a couple of online PC games have been doing the same thing for a while now - but only in online matches, playing the single-player version (AFAIK) means no ads
Old 16-06-2008, 19:10   #9071
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
As I understand it, a couple of online PC games have been doing the same thing for a while now - but only in online matches, playing the single-player version (AFAIK) means no ads
thats why I did not buy them pc games if they want to fill my gaming with adverts and time how long I view them which if was playing would`nt look any way, they should give the games away, same reason i don`t by branded t-shirts with big bloody logos, if tey want to use my chest as a bill board they can pay me.
Old 16-06-2008, 19:20   #9072
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Soooo, I have this little birdie who comes to visit every couple of weeks to give me information regarding Phorm. I can't divulge who it is because I honestly don't know, neither can I provide evidence to support anything I am about to say - it is just hearsay or rumour, although I have no reason to believe it not to be true so here goes.

Apparently, Kent's sister works at either the Times or the Financial Times (my source couldn't remember which one) - I suspect it is the Times as the Financial Times gave a damning review of Phorm in their Investors Chronicle magazine. My source believes this may be the reason for the Phorm publicity stunt in the Times this weekend.

Also, and again this is just information from an anonymous source, a senior member of Phorm's business development team quit a week or so ago as they had had enough with all the controversy. This supports information I received several weeks ago stating that several staff were cheesed off and the only reason they were staying was for the stock options.

As for the trials, they are apparently due to start next week but the date could be pushed back again. I have been told these are technical trials not commercial and a total of four advertising companies will be providing the ads.

Again, I have to stress this is from an unconfirmed source so I am not going to say they are facts, you will have to decide for yourself whether or not to believe them. I will add though that the same source has given me information in the past on Phorm which turned out to be true and undisclosed to the general public.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-06-2008, 19:28   #9073
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

You've got your very own DeepThroat! Am jealous.

Only touching on the first rumour, it isn't really a million miles away from the realms of plausability. The paid for PR exercise didn't turn out the goods, would be no great decision to use an insider to further a campaign. Am feeling a quote from blazing saddles coming on...

"
Sherriff Bart: Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?
Howard Johnson: We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the 5th, we're leaving.
"
Old 16-06-2008, 19:28   #9074
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
seems to me they want to hassle kids who in turn make demands on parents

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4066426.ece
not happy about that either.

that sort of advertising i have no problem with, it will be controlled and it has no access to personal information, and ultimately you can refuse to buy the game, seems to be a natural progression, so long as it is as the writeup says, the can of cola or bill board where you would see brands and advertising in the real world

peter
Old 16-06-2008, 19:32   #9075
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
You've got your very own DeepThroat! Am jealous.

Only touching on the first rumour, it isn't really a million miles away from the realms of plausability. The paid for PR exercise didn't turn out the goods, would be no great decision to use an insider to further a campaign. Am feeling a quote from blazing saddles coming on...

"
Sherriff Bart: Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?
Howard Johnson: We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the 5th, we're leaving.
"
I like to think of them as my very own "Smoking Man" like the dude in the X-Files who is always helping Fox Mulder.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread