Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4G announced

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

4G announced

Old 11-09-2012, 18:31   #1
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute
4G announced

As per http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543042.

Given the Virgin Mobile network is hosted by Everything Everywhere does this mean we will get 4g phones from Virgin in the near future?
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 18:34   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: 4G announced

Only if Virgin Media makes a deal with EE to buy capacity on its 4GEE network. I will be surprised if the current deal contains any clauses about automatic access to any future products developed by EE.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:44   #3
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

4G wouldn't be much good for me because the closest place i could use it would be Leeds and i only ever go once in a blue moon. Give it another six months to a year and probably then i would think about wanting a phone upgrade. It's something like two years before i can actually upgrade though.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:53   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

IIRC the new 4G licences have penalty clauses dictating the %age of the country they must cover with their networks, to avoid the same problem that has dogged 3G. However, EE has gained permission to re-use spectrum it already owns for its 4G service, so these conditions may not apply. If that's the case, 4GEE may well be the first to launch but there's no reason to expect it to become widely available any more quickly than the competitors who won't get their services off the ground for some time yet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:33   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Will be interesting to see how many people in Hull ditch KC and get dongles and use them for a better service for internet!
Old 17-09-2012, 14:16   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Only if Virgin Media makes a deal with EE to buy capacity on its 4GEE network. I will be surprised if the current deal contains any clauses about automatic access to any future products developed by EE.
Pretty certain it won't.

Even Orange and T-Mobile's own customers will not get access to EE's 4G network. It's entirely (commercially) separate and existing customers will need to move to EE and disconnect from Orange/T-Mobile to get "4G". It took Virgin Mobile a good few years to get access to T-Mobile's 3G network in the first instance.

(I say "4G" since even 4G LTE is not true 4G, it's 3.9G, though it's better than the 3.75G the Americans have been (mis)selling as 4G)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 19:29   #7
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

In talks

http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/virgi...rvice-uk-year/
Old 26-09-2012, 19:31   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
They don't even offer a good selection of phones so 4G would be pointless.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 09:52   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
They don't even offer a good selection of phones so 4G would be pointless.
I'd say that being able to choose from (amongst others):

Galaxy S II
Galaxy S III
HTC One V
HTC One X
Nokia Lumia 800
Sony Xperia U

and coming up
Motorola Razr I
Galaxy Note II

as a good selection of phones to suit most people's needs

And anyway there aren't many 4G/LTE phones out there that'll work in the UK, so EE won't have a huge range themselves
Old 27-09-2012, 13:09   #10
Jameseh

The prices are horrible, nearly all of the £15 contracts have been or are available for £7.50 at Carphone Warehouse.

Scrap that, they've now bumped everything upto £20, even worse.
Old 27-09-2012, 13:41   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
The prices are horrible, nearly all of the £15 contracts have been or are available for £7.50 at Carphone Warehouse.

Scrap that, they've now bumped everything upto £20, even worse.
Are those the non-customer or customer tariffs
Old 27-09-2012, 20:49   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'd say that being able to choose from (amongst others):

Galaxy S II
Galaxy S III
HTC One V
HTC One X
Nokia Lumia 800
Sony Xperia U

and coming up
Motorola Razr I
Galaxy Note II

as a good selection of phones to suit most people's needs

And anyway there aren't many 4G/LTE phones out there that'll work in the UK, so EE won't have a huge range themselves
Not forgetting the usual stock issues so little point in advertising when all that happens when you try to order one and they say sorry out of stock and unsure when if ever they will return, reason being a small fish in a large ocean where the sharks get first dibs on available phones.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:58   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Not forgetting the usual stock issues so little point in advertising when all that happens when you try to order one and they say sorry out of stock and unsure when if ever they will return, reason being a small fish in a large ocean where the sharks get first dibs on available phones.
No stock issues on most of those - HTC One V is being discontinued in favour of the Razr I, but that's it
Old 28-09-2012, 14:43   #14
Jameseh

Samsung GSII;
VM: £33
VM Quad: £28
Carphone: £26 (100 more minutes, 250mb more data, unlimited texts)

BlackBerry 9320;
VM: £20
VM Quad: £15
Carphone: £12.50 (50 more minutes, 500mb more data, 4500 more texts)

Samsung Galaxy Y;
VM: £18
VM Quad: £13
Carphone: £7.50 (50 more minutes, 4500 more texts)

Nokia Lumia 800;
VM: £24
VM Quad: £19
Carphone: £12.50 (50 more minutes, 4500 more texts)

You get better value walking into a shop for the first time than you do by paying £X a month for years.
Old 28-09-2012, 15:04   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Samsung Galaxy SIII
VM £33
Carphone £28
VM Quad £28 (100 more mins, 400 more texts, 400MB more data + Unlimited calls/texts to other Virgin Mobiles)