Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using my virgin mobile overseas

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Using my virgin mobile overseas

Old 02-03-2009, 15:55   #31
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Update
You do now get charged for unanswered calls abroad which divert to the answerphone - both an incoming and an outgoing call cost:

Quote:
Set your call diverts

• When someone reaches your voicemail, you get charged the cost of sending the call to the country you're in, and then back to the UK even though they may not leave a message.
  • But you can get around this - just set your phone to 'divert all calls' to voicemail.
  • However, this does mean that you won't get any incoming calls.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 16:00   #32
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Update
You do now get charged for unanswered calls abroad which divert to the answerphone - both an incoming and an outgoing call cost:
Or just set your phone not to divert any calls
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 16:10   #33
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Or just set your phone not to divert any calls
Yeah, that is the best way.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 16:29   #34
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I just copied what was on the Virgin Mobile website.
I just checked - and T-Mobile also charge for incoming and outgoing calls even if you don't answer when abroad, and the caller doesn't leave a message.
Orange don't appear to charge for unanswered calls.
O2 don't appear to charge and I don't believe that Vodafone do either.

It just seems to be T-mobile and Virgin
Old 02-03-2009, 16:35   #35
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
I just copied what was on the Virgin Mobile website.
I just checked - and T-Mobile also charge for incoming and outgoing calls even if you don't answer when abroad, and the caller doesn't leave a message.
Orange don't appear to charge for unanswered calls.
O2 don't appear to charge and I don't believe that Vodafone do either.

It just seems to be T-mobile and Virgin

It depends on how the divert has been set-up.

If it the forced divert where you don't have the option to switch it off, then the divert is done from 'home', if you have the option to switch divert on and off, then when you switch it on then you will be charged for two legs when the voicemail kicks in.
Old 02-03-2009, 19:56   #36
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
It depends on how the divert has been set-up.

If it the forced divert where you don't have the option to switch it off, then the divert is done from 'home', if you have the option to switch divert on and off, then when you switch it on then you will be charged for two legs when the voicemail kicks in.
Therefore as I said - divert all calls to voicemail before departing, or risk getting a charge.
I think it's a little naughty to charge twice for an unanswered call.
Old 02-03-2009, 20:03   #37
BexTech
Inactive

Quote:
Therefore as I said - divert all calls to voicemail before departing, or risk getting a charge.
I think it's a little naughty to charge twice for an unanswered call.

I'd rather have no divert at all. Therefore if I don't answer the call I don't get charged at all, if the phone is out of reception area or switched off, I don't get charged and if I do decide to answer a call I only get charged for receiving the call, not a double charge.

I hate voicemail anyway, just a way to scam money extra out of callers.