Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 04-08-2018, 07:19   #31
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Noooo, digital box -> VCR via RF -> TV via RF. As it was an on-demand film I can see why it would be protected from recording using the Macrovision method. We weren't recording, it's just convenient to have your VCR connected to the digibox and TV so you can record and playback anytime. They probably should have given a warning message though because it freaked me out at the time lol

Btw I remember one morning in 2005/06 when BBC were doing a news report about HDTVs or their testing of HD broadcasts. Momentarily they said "this is what it would look like if we sent HD to your current equipment" and it was pretty much like that lol, but less "natural" looking. I think they also said if you have a computer, your monitor is likely to be HD which amazed me at the time lol, and is true in a sense. I also remember them introducing the famous 3D weather maps we've been staring at for 13 years.

Would it still happen with STB -> VCR over SCART/Component instead of RF?

Last edited by RWCable; 04-08-2018 at 07:24.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2018, 07:47   #32
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from RWCable:

Noooo, digital box -> VCR via RF -> TV via RF. As it was an on-demand film I can see why it would be protected from recording using the Macrovision method. We weren't recording, it's just convenient to have your VCR connected to the digibox and TV so you can record and playback anytime. They probably should have given a warning message though because it freaked me out at the time lol

Would it still happen with STB -> VCR over SCART/Component instead of RF?
I have a SCART from our VHD box feeding my Sony HDD/DVD recorder and its SCART feeding a modulator. (Works even on standby) Never seen any disruption on the slave sets.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:04   #33
RWCable
cf.member

Cool Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Analogue cable clips start around 2:50 minutes with an archive clip from the 1970s, then a clip showing someone using a CFT-2100, which were still being used in Milton Keynes in 2011/12. BT (which owned the cabling) refused to upgrade the cabling for Virgin Media's digital services. I believe the analogue service in Milton Keynes was stopped in 2013/14.

If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!!

Btw as landlines are still analogue, how much bandwidth are they taking up? I take it there's no special equipment multiplexing the signal from house to street cabinet?

Last edited by RWCable; 04-08-2018 at 09:35.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13   #34
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from RWCable:

Not sure how to embed on here!

Here's a link to the video I said I'd upload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nZIdb8dc8
You need to enter it like this: [youtube]j6nZIdb8dc8[/youtube]
Old 04-08-2018, 09:34   #35
RWCable
cf.member

Done. Cheers!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:10   #36
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!!
If anyone did happen to maybe have one of those or a similar model, they might not want to own up to that!
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:29   #37
RWCable
cf.member

I would!! It's like a lot of old tech, not really much to look at now, but I do appreciate it for what it was at the time. Thinking in terms of how we had 5 terrestrial channels, these things could open up a world of viewing and information, provide primitive near on-demand, be remotely managed, and joined on to a network of similar equipment. The delivery mechanism is basically one wire to your house where all this takes place. What we have today is basically the same, but really refined.

The primitiveness of it interests me because it was really pushing the limits of what you could do with analogue tech, e.g. the multiplexing of dozens of channels, the encryption/scrambling and decoding of such signals etc, and the little digital bits are interesting to me as well.

These boxes basically turned what you had, which was a TV with variable reception quality and limited things to watch into kind of, "windows of the world" and seeing these things work provided a nice insight into the possibilities of technology. That's how I saw it growing up anyways, still fascinates me

Last edited by RWCable; 04-08-2018 at 10:41.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:37   #38
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
If anyone did happen to maybe have one of those or a similar model, they might not want to own up to that!
I had several until last year. I'm afraid they went in the skip. Didn't realise anybody cared!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43   #39
RWCable
cf.member

Probably just me! Did you ever try plugging them in after the switch off? Oh and did anyone work on the analogue switch off?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:09   #40
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Probably just me! Did you ever try plugging them in after the switch off? Oh and did anyone work on the analogue switch off?
Probably not just you, I'm also quite enthusiastic about this subject. Want to start a cable company? (seriously though, I would, but it's not cheap).
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:28   #41
RWCable
cf.member

Let's do it. Next cable billionaires.... And we'll have UKTV Gold and Dave. They'll be begging for us
Old 04-08-2018, 12:37   #42
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I never even plugged them in before switch off. I've only ever worked on digital.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 13:32   #43
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Comtel installed my cable with a black I think it was a 4000 box many years ago.

It had a pass thru for analogue TV
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 17:45   #44
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
I had several until last year. I'm afraid they went in the skip. Didn't realise anybody cared!
Indeed.....I love this thread!!

I didnt realise anyone cared about analogue cable/TV as much as me!!

It was simply beautiful and having stuff recorded from it is goregous
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 20:25   #45
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Let's do it. Next cable billionaires.... And we'll have UKTV Gold and Dave. They'll be begging for us
You need to aim higher!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote