Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 07-12-2021, 09:15   #436
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Gigabit rollout is complete

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...adband-target/

Quote:
Virgin Media O2 has today completed the upgrade of its entire national network to gigabit speeds, delivering nearly two-thirds of the Government’s broadband ambition four years ahead of the target date and cementing the company’s status as the UK’s largest gigabit provider.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:26   #437
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Does this mean that every Virgin customer would (if set up correctly) be able to get 1Gig downloads 24/7 with no congestion . . or does 'up to' still apply?

Not that I want or need it, just curious in a sceptical kind of way
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:54   #438
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Mu 600mb averages 650Mb - which isn’t bad. Can drop to 450 but certainly not for long.

I went online to upgrade and, after being told it would only cost me an extra £1/month when it became available, I was shocked to find they want an extra £7/month plus £35 set up fee.

At £1/mnonth I would have had it but not an extra 7 on top of the 110 I already pay them.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:51   #439
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Does this mean that every Virgin customer would (if set up correctly) be able to get 1Gig downloads 24/7 with no congestion . . or does 'up to' still apply?

Not that I want or need it, just curious in a sceptical kind of way
Details about what the speeds are expected and guaranteed for Gig1 are on this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speeds
Old 07-12-2021, 13:26   #440
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Ordered it this morning (at last). Free upgrade to 'The next available level' and a £35 credit which gives me free activation.
Old 07-12-2021, 13:34   #441
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

What were you on before? And how long were you into your contract?
Old 07-12-2021, 15:34   #442
bbxxl
cf.addict

Just called customer don’t care and was told that they cant upgrade my ultimate oomph bundle to 1 Gig but they could change me to Volt but my Virgin SIM would change to an O2 SIM and it would cost me £126/month.
I guess I’ll stick with 600 until another provider can give me 1 Gig in this area then I shall leave Virgin ASAP
Old 07-12-2021, 20:12   #443
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
What were you on before? And how long were you into your contract?
I was on Ultimate Omph which of course evolved into Volt. I was about 4 months into my contract when I was changing my virgin mobile over to an O2 sim about 5 weeks ago. After it all went throughtThe advisor asked if I minded being put on hold for a few minutes while she "Looked at my account". I had no idea why she wanted to do this.

When she came back,she completly suprised me by telling me that she had got my bill down from £110 to £80. She asked me if I was happy with this and of course I was. I didn't even ask for it.

So this morning was a bonus for me getting a £35 credit towards the activation fee. I can only assume they like my telephone manner as someome who works in customer services for one of the UK's most popular department stores.

So after waiting for 2 years for 1gig to arrive,it just shows that all good things are worth waiting for,
Old 07-12-2021, 21:03   #444
bbxxl
cf.addict

I was told to change to Volt with what I have (Ultimate Oomph £110/month) would cost me £126/month.
They obviously don’t like me!
Old 08-12-2021, 10:32   #445
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

I always thought that changing to Volt was automatic from Omph,I was moved over without knowing anything about it.
Now if you were on Virgin mobile and you moved to O2,you would be better off. My data more than doubled to 350gb which will be useful when 5G finally arrives where I am,
Old 08-12-2021, 10:53   #446
bbxxl
cf.addict

My Virgin SIM is unlimited everything- wasn’t yours?
Do you have Sky movies and Sport?
Old 08-12-2021, 12:27   #447
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Both Unlimited Oomph and Unlimited Volt should come with an Unlimited allowance SIM on the appropriate network (Virgin Mobile for Oomph and O2 for Volt)

Moving from Oomph to Volt isn't automatic, however if you apply for the Volt benefits on Unlimited Oomph as an existing O2 customer you end up with an Unlimited Oomph SIM on Virgin Mobile plus a data-doubled SIM on O2.

As Oomph is now retired, I'm pretty sure any cable services change will move you off Oomph. So to get Gig1 you have to go from Unlimited Oomph to Unlimited Volt.

What then happens with your SIM(s) when you go from Oomph to Volt on cable services as part of a requested bundle change depends on what you've now got an what you want to do.
Old 08-12-2021, 13:49   #448
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Both Unlimited Oomph and Unlimited Volt should come with an Unlimited allowance SIM on the appropriate network (Virgin Mobile for Oomph and O2 for Volt)

Moving from Oomph to Volt isn't automatic, however if you apply for the Volt benefits on Unlimited Oomph as an existing O2 customer you end up with an Unlimited Oomph SIM on Virgin Mobile plus a data-doubled SIM on O2.

As Oomph is now retired, I'm pretty sure any cable services change will move you off Oomph. So to get Gig1 you have to go from Unlimited Oomph to Unlimited Volt.

What then happens with your SIM(s) when you go from Oomph to Volt on cable services as part of a requested bundle change depends on what you've now got an what you want to do.
I was wondering about this. So I am on Oomph and an O2 customer so was automatically upgraded to 1 gig - appreciate I am one of the lucky ones where it just worked (after nudging O2 to kick off the process). Really happy as a customer with this - fantastic bonus.

My Oomph SIM has always been a bonus but not necessary for me - I just use it in a hotspot when on holiday etc so wouldnt mind losing it. I never used it as my main SIM as EE signal is so poor at home. At renewal of my VM contract (currently paying £99) is there a way I could consolidate it so that I just have an O2 SIM or would I then lose any benefits? I assume I could just move over to Ultimate Volt and do a PAC transfer assuming I could negotiate a good price?

Last edited by david_w2k; 08-12-2021 at 13:52.
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 15:12   #449
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
At renewal of my VM contract (currently paying £99) is there a way I could consolidate it so that I just have an O2 SIM or would I then lose any benefits? I assume I could just move over to Ultimate Volt and do a PAC transfer assuming I could negotiate a good price?
Yes, any renewal would have to be to a Volt bundle rather than Oomph so that would maintain the link to your O2 SIM.

As it's then not an Oomph bundle, the Virgin Mobile SIM would either go to a paid monthly plan or you could disconnect it if you don't need to keep the number, or do the PAC to move the number onto another provider.
Old 08-12-2021, 20:40   #450
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

ISP Virgin Media O2 Completes UK Gigabit Broadband Rollout UPDATE

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-rollout.html

Not quite complete? "DOCSIS Mode Docsis30"
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote