Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2018, 19:57   #2176
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Recording in the cloud: You choose what is recorded
On Demand: Someone else does.

(Actually that isn't really true. On Demand content is generally provided completely separately from the broadcast, often in advance, and may be a different edit)
Is there a technical difference to how cloud recordings and on demand are delivered to set top boxes? Fast forwarding​ a hard disk recording is a very different experience to fast forwarding on demand for example. Would cloud recordings have the same fast forward experience as on demand currently does, for example?
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2018, 20:01   #2177
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Is there a technical difference to how cloud recordings and on demand are delivered to set top boxes? Fast forwarding​ a hard disk recording is a very different experience to fast forwarding on demand for example. Would cloud recordings have the same fast forward experience as on demand currently does, for example?

I would say your guess is as good as mine at this stage. It is certainly a development which will be needed when you bear in mind a single football/rugby match in UHD takes 5% of the miserly disk space on a V6.

As some have previously stated, this may be why the idea of V6 boxes with larger disks was binned.
Old 20-09-2018, 20:04   #2178
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Cloud DVR has many benefits for both provider and consumer over time I'm sure the rights will get ironed out.
Old 20-09-2018, 20:09   #2179
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Cloud DVR has many benefits for both provider and consumer over time I'm sure the rights will get ironed out.
I will never use anything with an "Cloud" in it. I hear the media saying bad things about "Cloud".
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 20-09-2018, 20:18   #2180
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I will never use anything with an "Cloud" in it. I hear the media saying bad things about "Cloud".
You probably use the cloud daily in one way or another.
Old 20-09-2018, 20:34   #2181
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
.....when you bear in mind a single football/rugby match in UHD takes 5% of the miserly disk space on a V6.

I disagree with your figures.
In my experience an hour of UHD recording is between 8 and 10 GB.
Say a football match is two hours and assuming the higher figure, that makes 20 GB or 2% of a 1 TB V6.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:08   #2182
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

BT Sport 4K is broadcasting at fixed bitrate 27.1Mb/sec or 3.38 MB/sec. A two hour broadcast would be 24.34 gigabytes.

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Quote:
Explain the benefits of Virgin deploying this for each of the following content providers:

BBC
ITV
Channel 4
Sky
BT

I’m personally at a loss. The first three are seeking to more control over their content, the final two are rival platforms that couldn’t easily replicate the service.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:14   #2183
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
BT Sport 4K is broadcasting at fixed bitrate 27.1Mb/sec or 3.38 MB/sec. A two hour broadcast would be 24.34 gigabytes.
Thanks for confirming that.
My figures were from the new UHD channel on 999 as reported directly via the TiVo software on the V6.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:24   #2184
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Explain the benefits of Virgin deploying this for each of the following content providers:

BBC
ITV
Channel 4
Sky
BT

I’m personally at a loss. The first three are seeking to more control over their content, the final two are rival platforms that couldn’t easily replicate the service.
I said provider not terrestrial broadcaster , I meant Virgin , Sky , BT etc.

Couldn't replicate what please elaborate ?

Last edited by muppetman11; 20-09-2018 at 21:30.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:30   #2185
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
It depends how it's implemented. Fast-forward of a local disk recording works by reading the data faster, and possibly skipping some of it. VOD fast-foward is done by switching to a completely separate stream that is already encoded at the faster speed. Also VOD has a network delay, which can impact the response time.

Quote:
I will never use anything with an "Cloud" in it.
You are doing, right now.

Quote:
I hear the media saying bad things about "Cloud".
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:36   #2186
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I said provider not terrestrial broadcaster , I meant Virgin , Sky , BT etc.

Couldn't replicate what please elaborate ?
So there’s no incentive that you can quantify for the content providers I listed to allow Virgin to offer this service?

Sky and BT couldn’t easily replicate this kind of service on their platforms having significant impact on their non-fibre domestic internet speeds. They’d need to migrate everyone to fibre first.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Thanks for confirming that.
My figures were from the new UHD channel on 999 as reported directly via the TiVo software on the V6.
That channel appears to be a variable bitrate averaging slightly less than BT, in line with the figures you reported.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:37   #2187
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So there’s no incentive that you can quantify for the content providers I listed to allow Virgin to offer this service?

Sky and BT couldn’t easily replicate this kind of service on their platforms having significant impact on their non-fibre domestic internet speeds. They’d need to migrate everyone to fibre first.
Sky already delivers HD and UHD On Demand content now what's the difference , I'm pretty sure BT do as well granted their range is more limited than that of Sky.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:45   #2188
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Sky already delivers HD and UHD On Demand content now what's the difference , I'm pretty sure BT do as well granted their range is more limited than that of Sky.
Can you get UHD to stream on their non-fibre product? Or do you have to download it overnight? In my experience with Sky fibre even HD required a five minute lead in as if downloaded a buffer.

I see you ignore my other point.

Last edited by jfman; 20-09-2018 at 21:56. Reason: Typo
Old 20-09-2018, 21:53   #2189
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can you get UHD to stream on their non-fibre product? Or do you have to download it overnight?

I see you ignore my other point.
Sky On Demand uses progressive download so yes works with ADSL connections however as expected on really slow connections UHD can take longer than the several seconds it takes to become available on fibre.

As for your other point I never mentioned broadcasters I said there was benefits for providers such as Virgin and Sky as well as consumers , if you read I did say there are rights issues that would have to be ironed out.
Old 20-09-2018, 21:56   #2190
jfman
Architect of Ideas

You fail to elaborate how these rights issues are “ironed out” when you can’t even state what benefits there are to these broadcasters to engage with such a platform?

My experience of Sky Q it takes minutes to get HD to be playable.
Closed Thread