Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changed my password but...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

Changed my password but...

Old 17-01-2019, 21:45   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Changed my password but...

Hi all
After getting a notification from "haveibeenpwned" (which I legitimately registered with a while ago) it seems I have been. This was along with 700 million other passwords/addresses so i'm not too worried, but still decided to change my password.
I logged into myvm and did the necessary. Got an e-mail informing me of the successful change to both the account in question and the master account. Trouble is it hasn't changed, my phone can still access mail with the old password and webmail doesn't recognise the new one but works with the old!
Am I missing something obvious or could it just be a glitch.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2019, 00:26   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Changed my password but...

Just created a post on this leak, I have 4 emails exposed!!!
Old 18-01-2019, 13:01   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

At least there are 770 million of us, so safety in numbers perhaps.

As of this morning I can't access the e-mail account with either the old or new password. So frustrating ! I tempted to try the forgotten password option or try and change it again via the account but i feel like i've hit rock and don't want to carry on digging.
Old 18-01-2019, 13:30   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks for the heads up as my VM email is on the list and compromised, so I will be looking to change the sites logins I use with it.
Old 18-01-2019, 14:26   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thanks for the heads up as my VM email is on the list and compromised, so I will be looking to change the sites logins I use with it.

As it's currently broken I'm thinking of binning mine and creating a new one, trouble is I can't remember how many sites and services are linked to it.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Just spent half an hour trawling through all my emails to see who has contacted me in the last few months. I've a lot of sites and services to change my details with.
Old 18-01-2019, 16:44   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I wouldn't use an ISP email with anything these days.
Old 18-01-2019, 16:51   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I wouldn't use an ISP email with anything these days.

Agreed, i'm planning to migrate everything eventually to gmail or proton mail.
Old 19-01-2019, 19:36   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Can you let me know when you get this sorted before i attempt a password change please.
Old 19-01-2019, 19:47   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can you let me know when you get this sorted before i attempt a password change please.

I certainly will.

Currently I can get emails on my phone (old password), webmail is intermittent (old password) and Thunderbird says password is wrong whether I use the old or new one. So the password change definitely didn't work.
Old 19-01-2019, 20:37   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Ignoring the Thunderbird problem try changing the email password again.
Old 19-01-2019, 22:11   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ignoring the Thunderbird problem try changing the email password again.

Well I might do, but currently i can still get my mails to that addy on my phone, and sometimes on webmail, so i'm a bit reluctant to potentially mess it up even more. The whole VM e-mail system does seem to be a bit crocked.
Old 20-01-2019, 16:59   #12
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Hi Snoopz
Finally got it working via the "forgotten password" option. I used the same new password as my previous attempt so the system hadn't remembered it.
Old 20-01-2019, 19:23   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Hi Snoopz
Finally got it working via the "forgotten password" option. I used the same new password as my previous attempt so the system hadn't remembered it.
Awesome, presently i am going through all the places i think i have created an account on and changing passwords, it's taking awhile as i have to go back 20 years!!!

Adding what i want to keep to Lastpass password manager and closing what i can after changing the password.
Old 20-01-2019, 19:35   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Awesome, presently i am going through all the places i think i have created an account on and changing passwords, it's taking awhile as i have to go back 20 years!!!

Adding what i want to keep to Lastpass password manager and closing what i can after changing the password.

I waded through a years worth of e-mails to the addy to find who had contacted me, changed most of the important ones but got bored with it in the end.