Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting tivo to Xbox One

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems

Connecting tivo to Xbox One

Old 26-12-2018, 21:45   #1
Tabby T
Inactive

Tabby T is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Connecting tivo to Xbox One

Hi all, I'm new around here, so hi! I hope someone can help me with this, as I've been trying loads of different things all afternoon and I'm now giving in and asking the professionals (you!).

So..I got the kids an X Box One for Chrimbo, and I believe you can hook it up to a Tivo box. My TiVo box is in my bedroom, and the X Box is in the lounge. Short of drilling a hole in the wall, threading an HDMI cable through and connecting that way, can I connect in any other way? I have powerline cables, and have tried this, but then the x box says it's not happy because of something to do with it having a wired connection (or maybe a wireless and wired at the same time, I can't remember). It also says it can't access the DC something something server (I know, I'm an amateur!).

So..is it possible to connect this way and I'm doing something wrong, or is it just not possible?

Apologies for the vaguery, but if someone can help me out and explain in plain English what I can do, I'd be extremely grateful. TIA.
Tabby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2018, 22:14   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Connecting tivo to Xbox One

I used to have an Xbox One, i assume what you want to do is have the Tivo picture visible on the Xbox One guide?

First off i wouldn't bother, after doing this for over a year it is easier keeping them both separate, and use the Xbox for Games and the Tivo for watching TV.

If you wanted to have it hooked up then you would need to run the hdmi from the Tivo to the Xbox hdmi IN port and then another HDMI out cable from the Xbox to the TV if i remember correctly, but you would need everything in the same room.

Basically you NEED to connect it via 2 HDMI cables from the Tivo to the Xbox and then from the Xbox to the TV.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 26-12-2018 at 22:21.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 22:21   #3
Tabby T
Inactive

Tabby T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I'd like to essentially be able to view my Virgin tv in the lounge as well as my bedroom as I only have freeview in the lounge. It would save me forking out for another TiVo box and multi room..so yeah, I'm being a bit tight, lol! I want to view Virgin telly in both rooms..hence the thought of power lines.
Tabby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 22:24   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby T View Post
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I'd like to essentially be able to view my Virgin tv in the lounge as well as my bedroom as I only have freeview in the lounge. It would save me forking out for another TiVo box and multi room..so yeah, I'm being a bit tight, lol! I want to view Virgin telly in both rooms..hence the thought of power lines.

Welcome to the forum, i am sorry you can't do what you want to do, check my bolded edit.

When the Xbox One came out years ago it was a disaster this TV thing, i think most people use it as a games console now, it really was a pain in the ass having to switch the Xbox on and then the TV and then click something on the xbox guide just to watch TV, this would have you running up and down stairs..... trust me dont bother.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 26-12-2018 at 22:30.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 22:28   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Surely just one extra HDMI needed, as the XBox will already be connected to the TV. Any advantage in going via the XBox, rather than going straight to a spare HDMI port on the TV?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 22:50   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Surely just one extra HDMI needed, as the XBox will already be connected to the TV. Any advantage in going via the XBox, rather than going straight to a spare HDMI port on the TV?

No the Xbox uses pass through, the Tivo box needs an HDMI cable going to the XBOX HDMI IN port and then again on the Xbox it goes from the HDMI OUT port to the TV and as per my above post don't bother.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Heres the instructions for the cabling assuming you have an Xbox One S, but the X is probably similar.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-...ystem-solution
Old 28-12-2018, 22:02   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

IIRC the downside to this is the Xbox must be on to watch TV.
Old 28-12-2018, 23:25   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
IIRC the downside to this is the Xbox must be on to watch TV.
Yes that is correct, I gave up and went back to watching TV normally as there was no benefit when I used to have an Xbox.