Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Super Bowl XXXIX

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Super Bowl XXXIX

Old 04-02-2005, 11:39   #16
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Super Bowl XXXIX

Isnt american football just a watered down version of rugby with more padding anyway?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2005, 11:42   #17
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
Isnt american football just a watered down version of rugby with more padding anyway?
It has its roots in Rugby. As for the padding, its required, as in american football there are legal hits that would get you sent off the rugby field.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:46   #18
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
The game isn't "paused" so to speak. The commercials only happen during the natural breaks in the game I.E when a time out is called, or after a drive is completed i.e a team scores, or a turnover when possession is passed to the other team.
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't collusion between the coaches & the TV company as to when the time outs are called - and even with natural breaks in play, they don't start again until the commercial has finished.

Like I said, the game itself can be very dynamic, it is the constant pauses I, personally, find irritating - just my opinion, of course
Old 04-02-2005, 11:50   #19
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't collusion between the coaches & the TV company as to when the time outs are called - and even with natural breaks in play, they don't start again until the commercial has finished.
I wouldn't think so. Timeouts are very important to a coach. they only have 3 per half. They don't use them needlessly as they have to have a timeout to be able to challange a play (video ref - if they lose a challange then they lose a timeout.), they are very important in the final two minutes of a half in order to stop the clock to give you time to score.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:00   #20
homealone

Quote:
I wouldn't think so. Timeouts are very important to a coach. they only have 3 per half. They don't use them needlessly as they have to have a timeout to be able to challange a play (video ref - if they lose a challange then they lose a timeout.), they are very important in the final two minutes of a half in order to stop the clock to give you time to score.
looks like I am being over cynical, then - and I didn't know that about the video ref - thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 14:20   #21
Graham

Quote:
looks like I am being over cynical, then
No, you're not, although it's not from the coaches.

If you watch the main referee in a big game, he will make the "Time out" sign (waving crossed arms above his head) and then pat his head.

This means it's an "administrative" time out, ie one arranged with the media companies so they can put their commercial breaks in!
Old 04-02-2005, 14:26   #22
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham

If you watch the main referee in a big game, he will make the "Time out" sign (waving crossed arms above his head) and then pat his head.

This means it's an "administrative" time out, ie one arranged with the media companies so they can put their commercial breaks in!
thanks for that
Old 04-02-2005, 14:44   #23
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:

The waving arms signal is to let the time keeper know to stop the clock i.e if a player steps out of bounds or incompleted pass etc.

Yes the refs can call time outs but these are only used if they need to review the position of the ball or if a player is injured.

Refs do not call timeouts for ad breaks - they take place in the natural breaks of the game not during a drive (unless a time out is called).

Why would they even need this?? There is enough "natural" breaks in the games for ads as it is.

Ok - I just asked a friend of mine on MSN, who lives in North America, about this.

In the NFL there are whats know as TV timeouts. A commercial break is called during a break in play and as the commercial breaks may last 3 minutes but the game is ready to be restarted earlier a TV timeout is called.

So as I was saying the coaches or refs have nothing to do with the timing of ad breaks its done by the TV stations in the natural breaks of play, but when they go to commercials a TV timeout is called and they wait till the TV station returns.
Old 04-02-2005, 14:47   #24
Graham

Quote:
Refs do not call timeouts for ad breaks - they take place in the natural breaks of the game not during a drive (unless a time out is called).

[...]

In the NFL there are whats know as TV timeouts. A commercial break is called during a break in play and as the commercial breaks may last 3 minutes but the game is ready to be restarted earlier a TV timeout is called.
I think that was my point
Old 04-02-2005, 14:47   #25
homealone

Quote:
The waving arms signal is to let the time keeper know to stop the clock i.e if a player steps out of bounds or incompleted pass etc.

Yes the refs can call time outs but these are only used if they need to review the position of the ball or if a player is injured.

Why would they even need this?? There is enough "natural" breaks in the games for ads as it is.

Ok - I just asked a friend of mine on MSN, who lives in North America, about this.

So as I was saying the coaches or refs have nothing to do with the timing of ad breaks its done by the TV stations in the natural breaks of play, but when they go to commercials a TV timeout is called and they wait till the TV station returns.
that sounds right - thanks for taking the trouble to clarify it
Old 04-02-2005, 14:58   #26
gazzae
Inactive

Quote:
that sounds right - thanks for taking the trouble to clarify it

Not a problem.

When I was younger I would never have watched an american football game, but about 5 years ago I was in canada during playoff time and watched the games with people who understood the rules and explained what was happening to me. I've been hooked ever since!

If you don't like american football then you don't like it, but if you've never watched a game before, give the superbowl a shot on sunday night, you never know you might be surprised.

Quote:
I think that was my point
Sorry if I misread you, I thought you mean the refs called a TV timeout during play rather that calling it at a suitable break in play.
Old 06-02-2005, 15:12   #27
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
Exclamation Re: Super Bowl XXXIX

it's here SuperBowl oh can't wait for the game to start.(only 10 hours to go)
and with Paul McCartney doing the half time show what can go wrong.

note
you are better off watching the game on sky sports as there team actually.know the NFL but if you watch on itv all you will get. is Gabby Logan talking like a parrot
for 3 hours.
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 21:28   #28
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

was thinking about this over the weekend.. during superbowl weekend we get items about this on ITV and BBC news.. on their web sites.. ITV and Sky show it and it gets repeated today as well.

What do the US do during FA Cup Final Weekend ?

Do they even show it. If they want other countries to watch their sports shouldn't they take an interest in the sports of other nations.
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 00:15   #29
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
was thinking about this over the weekend.. during superbowl weekend we get items about this on ITV and BBC news.. on their web sites.. ITV and Sky show it and it gets repeated today as well.

What do the US do during FA Cup Final Weekend ?

Do they even show it. If they want other countries to watch their sports shouldn't they take an interest in the sports of other nations.
Virtually all Sky Sports games are shown on Fox Sports World. Sometimes live, sometimes with a delay (sometimes as much as a week)... They show some of the BBC1 ones too... With the PremiershipPlus, sometimes they show it live for free, sometimes it is PPV. Somestimes some of the free matches on SkySports are shown PPV

What did everyone think of the game? I thought it was OK, but some of my yank friends thought it wen't that good.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:19   #30
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Virtually all Sky Sports games are shown on Fox Sports World. Sometimes live, sometimes with a delay (sometimes as much as a week)... They show some of the BBC1 ones too... With the PremiershipPlus, sometimes they show it live for free, sometimes it is PPV. Somestimes some of the free matches on SkySports are shown PPV
Ok so they show some of the games but does it get reported on any of the national news channels like we get with Superbowl being mentioned on BBC and ITV
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote