Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Car battery backup.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Car battery backup.

Old 25-03-2019, 21:30   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Question Car battery backup.

I drive rarely, so the car battery slowly discharges keeping the Engine Control Unit's memory intact.

In the past I used a battery disconnector to keep the charge up, but that meant poor starts after several days due to the ECU memory having been wiped.

What I'd like to do is either:

a/. connect a small 12v sealed lead acid battery to the car via the cigarette lighter socket, so that I could then disconnect the car battery to charge it from time-to-time, but retain ECU memory. The small battery would be recharged in the shed ready for use as and when.

b/. permanently fit a 12v sealed lead acid battery in the motor compartment, that would not go out of circuit when I use the battery disconnector to isolate the main battery. It would recharge in parallel with the main battery during driving.

My background is radio and electronics, not batteries and alternators. So could someone say whether either or both of the scenarios would work?

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2019, 21:39   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Car battery backup.

One of these pehaps with option a). It would also recharge via the cigarette lighter.

Could perhaps be installed permanently under seat?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NP7-12-vo...-/111086402859
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 01:02   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Your battery would have to be really dead if the ECU were to lose all of it's fuel tables and maps and you'd probably be at the point where the immobiliser would have to be reset.

If it's a relatively modern car and depending on the car it's possible that the ECU is blocking startup if it's seeing less than 12v. You might be better buying an ECU saver which you can plug into the diagnostic port to protect the ECU's volatile memory while swapping out a second battery which can be charged up in the house.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 10:20   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I use a trickle charger, less than 1 amp, on my old car that's currently garaged to keep the alarm/central locking and ECU alive.
Old 27-03-2019, 10:10   #5
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I use a trickle charger, less than 1 amp, on my old car that's currently garaged to keep the alarm/central locking and ECU alive.

Pretty much this, all of the bikes and one car are on battery optimisers