Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cancelling home phone line

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cancelling home phone line

Old 16-02-2012, 00:54   #16
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Cancelling home phone line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
In most cases having the phone line lowers the cost and saves having to find strange numbers that will not be answered outside of normal office hours as per New to cable above.

You have the phone line and only connect a handset if and when required so no one is tempted to use it.
Having a phoneline NEVER lowers the total cost, its lower compared to the idividual cost.

EG 10Mb BB on its owns is £22.50 and the basic phone on its own is £13.90 total cost over £36 but bundle them together its £28.40. Its always cheaper to have 1 product on its own but adding another service induces a bundle discount. But still increases the total price.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2012, 06:46   #17
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Having a phoneline NEVER lowers the total cost, its lower compared to the idividual cost.

EG 10Mb BB on its owns is £22.50 and the basic phone on its own is £13.90 total cost over £36 but bundle them together its £28.40. Its always cheaper to have 1 product on its own but adding another service induces a bundle discount. But still increases the total price.
If you want to believe that then that is your prerogative but you are wrong.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:38   #18
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If you want to believe that then that is your prerogative but you are wrong.
I have to agree with Peter. There are many package deals where it works out cheaper to have a phone line.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:28   #19
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I enquired today about removing the phone line and just having broadband and television. The line loss would save me £13.90, but I would lose the bundle discount of £20. The viable alternative I looked at was Vonage which would cost £8.99 per month calls inclusive.
So remove the phone line and I have to make at least £15.09 to break even.
I've decided to go on Pay As You Go with Skype.
A 7 min call peak time to USA on Skype cost me 14p.
An 8 min call in Jan to the same number on VirginMedia cost me £2.16

So it's it worth ditching the line,but certainly worth looking at alternatives.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 22:06   #20
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
I enquired today about removing the phone line and just having broadband and television. The line loss would save me £13.90, but I would lose the bundle discount of £20. The viable alternative I looked at was Vonage which would cost £8.99 per month calls inclusive.
So remove the phone line and I have to make at least £15.09 to break even.
I've decided to go on Pay As You Go with Skype.
A 7 min call peak time to USA on Skype cost me 14p.
An 8 min call in Jan to the same number on VirginMedia cost me £2.16

So it's it worth ditching the line,but certainly worth looking at alternatives.
So if it costs more to ditch the land line, then why don't you just keep that for UK calls, and use Skype for international. That's what I do. I wouldn't use Skype all the time because the service isn't reliable enough.
Old 16-02-2012, 22:11   #21
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Of course if your broadband goes down you have no phone line and are unable to contact technical support for free, plus if you are on SKYPE and you call technical support over some issue the agent could remotely reboot your modem therefore causing the call to drop and just think you have hung up.

The are many pro's to keeping the phone line even if you do not use it as a house phone.
Old 16-02-2012, 23:08   #22
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Of course if your broadband goes down you have no phone line and are unable to contact technical support for free, plus if you are on SKYPE and you call technical support over some issue the agent could remotely reboot your modem therefore causing the call to drop and just think you have hung up.

The are many pro's to keeping the phone line even if you do not use it as a house phone.
A couple of good points there Peter. After all you wouldn't want to be stuck waiting in a queue for technical support on your mobile.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:18   #23
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I get £8 a month off two mobile phone packages through being on XL phone
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:21   #24
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
So if it costs more to ditch the land line, then why don't you just keep that for UK calls, and use Skype for international. That's what I do. I wouldn't use Skype all the time because the service isn't reliable enough.
Just use the VM line for incoming calls, and calls to VM faults. I have a 3 mobile phone which has virtually limitless UK calls anyway.
VM UK domestic tariff on the M package is still relatively high cost overall.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:43   #25
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Just use the VM line for incoming calls, and calls to VM faults. I have a 3 mobile phone which has virtually limitless UK calls anyway.
VM UK domestic tariff on the M package is still relatively high cost overall.
That is exactly how it can be used to your own advantage and it usually includes a discount.
Old 18-02-2012, 22:24   #26
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Apart from possibly getting your package at a lower the price the best reason to keep the phone line is because any call to Virgin Media will cost you nothing whereas using a BT line or a mobile will cost you money.
ever heard of http://www.saynoto0870.com/ ?
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 08:09   #27
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite-man View Post
Try using any of those numbers out of office hours say after 6pm, now if you get through to someone in office hours they are under no obligation to transfer you or they may not even have that facility and you will be told to try the correct numbers.

As in most cases having a phone line and even the basic tv package can lower your price significantly and you do not even have to use it.