Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 06-05-2022, 09:27   #1231
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That would be a reasonable assumption, except for the fact that Disney made this very error when it launched in late 2019 (spring 2020 in the UK). They traded on their back catalogue for far too long and I’m not convinced the Star branded stream within the main Disney+ app was part of the original plan - it really doesn’t fit the branding it has otherwise used, which is based on established feature film production company brands, and looks very much bolted on, as if they felt they needed to add a lot of new and original material quickly, and the very modest pipeline of TV shows based mostly on movies out of their Marvel and Star Wars properties wasn’t going to produce enough content, quickly enough.
It was originally going to be Hulu
https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/05/di...nally-in-2021/

But They choose Star as the brand rather than Hulu for financial reasons.

With NBC Universal owning 33% of Hulu, so launching the new service as Star, it wouldn’t increase the value of Hulu, resulting in Disney having to pay more to Comcast when it buys out their existing contract In 2024

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 06-05-2022 at 09:39.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2022, 09:47   #1232
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

In contrast to Netflix's recent downturn in subscribers, Disney+ continues to grow at a phenomenal rate:

Quote:
Disney’s flagship streamer gained 7.9 million paid customers in the first three months of 2022, to stand at 137.7 million, up 33 year over year. Analysts on average expected Disney+ to net 5.2 million new subscribers, per FactSet.

The results stand in contrast to streaming rival Netflix, which reported a loss of 200,000 streaming subscribers for the same period and forecast a 2 million drop for Q2.
https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...gs-1235264311/
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:06   #1233
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
In contrast to Netflix's recent downturn in subscribers, Disney+ continues to grow at a phenomenal rate:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...gs-1235264311/
There is bound to be a saturation point for any streamer where everyone that wants it has it, for me all that above means is Disney+ hasn't got there yet.

Considering the age difference between Netflix and Disney+ it's not yet clear for me whether there is any long term difference or if that at some point what's currently happening with Netflix will happen to Disney+
Old 12-05-2022, 10:12   #1234
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Yeah, i would think it would be higher than Netflix though. Between Disney, Star Wars and Marvel you would think 80% of people would want it. I think they could easily hit 300 million.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:17   #1235
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

They are still very much in loss leader mode. With mobile networks and others offering heavily discounted subscription options. While they do have the benefit that Netflix doesn’t of a massive back catalogue, and aren’t likely to drown under the weight of hundreds of billions of debt, it’s not really representative of the market as a whole.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 16:45   #1236
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

911 Lone Star is moving from Sky UK to Disney+

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2022/05/1...-disney-in-uk/
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 16:50   #1237
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

It won't be the last time something moves I suspect, Disney are taking back as much of their content as possible , Godfather Of Harlem S3 - StarzPlay acquired the first 2 seasons before Star launched and the existing FX shows on the BBC are other possibilities - Disney didn’t renew the FX deal with the BBC.

Family Guy and Bob Burgers now premiere on Disney+ aswell.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 12-05-2022 at 16:55.
Old 12-05-2022, 17:08   #1238
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
and the existing FX shows on the BBC are other possibilities - Disney didn’t renew the FX deal with the BBC.
S3 of What We Do In The Shadows is still only on iPlayer and in HD. Disney+ has S1/S2 in 4K
Old 12-05-2022, 22:25   #1239
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Ending License Deals early has cost Disney $1 billion apparently
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/ending...ney-1-billion/
Old 12-05-2022, 22:35   #1240
General Maximus
Ran Away

Wow. I wondered how that worked when Netflix presumably paid to have the Marvel series for a certain amount of time and they are a big enough company to not let themselves be bullied into giving them back.
Old 13-05-2022, 09:55   #1241
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
911 Lone Star is moving from Sky UK to Disney+

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2022/05/1...-disney-in-uk/
It's now followed The Resident in recent months. I wouldn't be surprised if 9-1-1, Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 follow suit in the next 12 months. Breeders is also rumoured to follow suit, too.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Quote:
Godfather Of Harlem S3 - StarzPlay acquired the first 2 seasons before Star launched
I knew Starz acquired the show, but not just S1+2. Have you got a source for this, TimeLord?
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 13:35   #1242
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 follow suit in the next 12 months.
I thought they were on ABC and Sky already had an ABC equivalent channel (Sky Witness) in the UK. I don't see how or why Disney+ would have influence over that or want those series. It is like Asda saying they are putting a Sainsbury's carwash in their car park.
Old 13-05-2022, 13:40   #1243
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
It's now followed The Resident in recent months. I wouldn't be surprised if 9-1-1, Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 follow suit in the next 12 months. Breeders is also rumoured to follow suit, too.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

I knew Starz acquired the show, but not just S1+2. Have you got a source for this, TimeLord?
No but it's unlikely they have a lifetime deal, they acquired it about 8 months after season 2 had been commissioned

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Quote:
I thought they were on ABC and Sky already had an ABC equivalent channel (Sky Witness) in the UK. I don't see how or why Disney+ would have influence over that or want those series. It is like Asda saying they are putting a Sainsbury's carwash in their car park.
Of course they have influence Disney own the shows , it depends what their contract with Sky actually is , Disney strategy is taking back their own content and making it exclusive to Disney+ like what their just done with 911:Lone Star, most ABC Studios (now known as ABC Signature) content has now gone from Amazon Prime , all seasons of Criminal Minds , Lost , Scandal , Greys Anatomy amongst others were removed from Amazon Prime in April.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 13-05-2022 at 15:32.
Old 13-05-2022, 15:28   #1244
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
ABC is a Disney-owned channel, not a Comcast-owned channel. The days of when Sky was the first choice UK broadcaster for US content seem to be diminishing since the launch of Disney+. I suspect the difference will become more stark if as expected, HBO Max launches in the UK in 2025.

Providing the licence with Sky has ended or Disney is happy to pay Sky compensation for early termination, then Disney can move its content to Disney +. Apparently, it paid TV platforms $1bn as early termination compensation in its latest accounts.

I imagine all box series from Fox/Hulu/Disney will move to Disney+ in time with only films and pay-per-episode available on other platforms.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 13-05-2022 at 15:36.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 16:04   #1245
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Criminal Minds , Lost , Scandal , Greys Anatomy amongst others were removed from Amazon Prime in April.
for the traditional viewer which is non-Disney and non-scifi having quality series like those is a great way to provide quality content and a bit of something for everyone outside of Lucasfilm and Marvel.