Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:16   #5911
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroma View Post
Im aware its scaremongering, but is that any worse than Phorm spin?
I figure if it gets even 3 people to look further into the matter then nope.
Excellent posts to MSE - it isn't scaremongering IMHO. It would also be worth letting people on their know about the content theft angle, I'd guess some will be business owners (or investors in business that have a web site).

Also from the privacy policy on MSE "The information derived from use of cookies will be aggregated to provide statistical information about the usage of our site. However, we do not use any information derived from cookies, nor any IP addresses we collect, to identify any individual user of our site."

Whereas Phorm will impose a Phorged cookie to gather information specific to that user.

And of course - perhaps let Martin Lewis all his content will be used by Phorm to promote other web sites, and his consent is assumed.

Also from the T&Cs "You are allowed to use our content for personal, non-commercial use only". Which would mean people opting in to Phorm/Webwise and BT are clearly violating the terms of use, even if consent could be assumed

Pete.
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 09:52   #5912
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Strange but the thinkbroadband forums seem to not have any threads on phorm either.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/threads.php?Cat=
I've had a bit of a go on there:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=
Old 07-05-2008, 10:01   #5913
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Firth View Post
When did you first coin the phrase and how does it relate to whois on webspies.org.uk? - I've genuinely no idea where it came from but I registered it thus:

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Domain name:
webspies.org.uk

Registrant:
JD Firth

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:
GX Networks Ltd t/a 123-Reg.co.uk [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 04-Apr-2008
Renewal date: 04-Apr-2010
I posted it HERE..
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16   #5914
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Had a reply from Amazon.

Quote:
Dear *****************

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

I have received a response from our legal department regarding your
concerns with Phorm. In relation to your specific questions, I
cannot comment on whether the use of Phorm or other devices by your
ISP breaches our Terms and Conditions as this would be a matter
between us and the relevant ISP.

You can be assured that we take the security and privacy of our
customers' information very seriously. We do not use Phorm's
services and will not communicate our customers' information to
Phorm or to Internet service providers.

We are however not in a position to control the software or other
devices used by your Internet service provider. If you are concerned
by the use of Phorm or other devices by your Internet service
provider we can only encourage you to contact your Internet service
provider directly to solve the issue.

I hope this has clarified the situation. As previously advised if
you require further assistance in relation to this issue please use
the following link to contact us again:
Wonder what next I did take my concerns to my ISP and never had response then what arrived wasn't the type you expected so I moved to a phorm phree ISP..
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24   #5915
Mesmer
Inactive

Mesmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning PhormUKPRteam

Here’s a constructive suggestion. Why not persuade Kent to engineer in “dangerously addictive” to add to Phorm’s list of other undesirable, unwanted and unwelcome qualities? It worked for the tobacco industry!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:41   #5916
James_Firth
Inactive

James_Firth is on a distinguished roadJames_Firth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
I posted it HERE..
Then you beat me to it by one day! I only started reading this thread a couple of weeks ago but you are welcome to the domain if you want it in recognition of your post. Just set up a 123-reg account and PM me and I'll transfer it to you for zippo.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:47   #5917
jelv
Inactive

There's a new post on the thinkbroadband forums: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=

It's either tin hats time or VM are up to something very naughty.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02   #5918
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Most of us I am sure have been mentioning to friends the Phorm link up with ISP's and its illegal interception of data and attempt to make people aware, but is it just me or do any others find it difficult at times to talk to friends who are a little 'technophobic'.

Although we do our bit and complain to the powers that be that make high level decisions and can also make 'waves' I think that education of the masses is very important aspect of the campaign. I wonder if anybody has a 'good' but simple method that works I can use with most people and doesn't make the person delivering the educational sermon (myself) seem like a person with a fanatical cause. I think I bore myself also too easily at times
Yes, I've noticed this too. Even on forums where people are 'in-the-know' and tech-friendly, some folk seem to think that "I'll block the ads then, thats easy enough, it won't be a problem for me" .. completely missing the point!! .. very frustrating ..

I think the best analogy to use is comparing Phorm to 'wire-tapping' .. people snooping on your phone listening to everything you say, that might shake people up a bit ..

Great news on the sticky by the way ..
Old 07-05-2008, 11:03   #5919
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
There's a new post on the thinkbroadband forums: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=

I can't be a member on there due to my ISPreview post can someone ask them to do a check on cookies for any from webwise or phorm plus a few tracerts to websites they visited. The information is needed to prove if VM are now doing secret trials without Informed consent.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12   #5920
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post

Can you Post this link on the Forum Above, I've already got too many Forums in my list.

https://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

This particular User or Malware may have enabled the Windows Messenger Service.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:14   #5921
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I can't be a member on there due to my ISPreview post can someone ask them to do a check on cookies for any from webwise or phorm plus a few tracerts to websites they visited. The information is needed to prove if VM are now doing secret trials without Informed consent.
Done
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16   #5922
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Steve Gibson at grc.com is heavily into web security, I wonder what he thinks about all this?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16   #5923
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Can you Post this link on the Forum Above, I've already got too many Forums in my list.

https://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

This particular User or Malware may have enabled the Windows Messenger Service.
Also done
Old 07-05-2008, 11:30   #5924
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

How Google currently responds to suspected spyware;

http://sorry.google.com/sorry/

We're sorry... ... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. ... if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
Old 07-05-2008, 11:43   #5925
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
How Google currently responds to suspected spyware;

http://sorry.google.com/sorry/

We're sorry... ... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. ... if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
wonder if that is there way to protect the searches from phorm nice if it is.

Thank you jelv will monitor it for the replies.
Closed Thread