Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 03-03-2007, 17:49   #301
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
If you like Peter Hamilton (and I assume you've read the "Night's Dawn" trilogy), I can recommend Richard Morgan books, especially the Takeshi Kovacs series (they are linked, but not a trilogy) -Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.

I am more into "hard" SF, so my favourite authors are -
Larry Niven
Allen Steele
John Varley
Charlie Stross
Ken McLeod
Joe Haldeman
and a few others, but I have gone one for long enough now....
A SFER after my own heart.Love Richard Morgan to bits but not McLeod.

How about Iain Banks?C J Cherryh?L R Modesitt Jnr? They write hard SF but primarily about people.
Old 03-03-2007, 19:14   #302
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
A SFER after my own heart.Love Richard Morgan to bits but not McLeod.

How about Iain Banks?C J Cherryh?L R Modesitt Jnr? They write hard SF but primarily about people.
Yup - like those as well; the ones I gave were just my top couple of authors, but I have about two thousand books (paperback and hardback), and I keep re-reading them (as well as buying new stuff).

I would really recommend John Scalzi (Old Man's War, Ghost Brigades, Agent to the Stars, and a few others) - like an modern Robert Heinlein (imho), without his late-life obsession with badly written sex scenes. His website is http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/, but he also wrote a great piece on what it means to be poor - here is the first couple of lines:-
Being poor is knowing exactly how much everything costs.
Being poor is getting angry at your kids for asking for all the crap they see on TV.
Being poor is having to keep buying $800 cars because they're what you can afford, and then having the cars break down on you, because there's not an $800 car in America that's worth a damn.
Being poor is hoping the toothache goes away.
Being poor is knowing your kid goes to friends' houses but never has friends over to yours.
Being poor is going to the restroom before you get in the school lunch line so your friends will be ahead of you and won't hear you say "I get free lunch" when you get to the cashier.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 18:34   #303
dragondottie
Inactive

dragondottie is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago I liked to read Frederick Pohl. and one that I remember was called "Way Station", I used to read a lot of Sci-Fi then, and in the sixties and seventies they were quite scarce, I'd go to the library and look for that special yellow jacket, it wasn't until I was working in Manchester, that I got to have a look in the "book" stores and to me, it was like being in a sweet shop, all these wonderful authors, writing what I wanted to read, and of course Heinlen was the top man followed by Theodore Sturgeon, and there were a load of others as well, Aszimov, Arthur C Clarke, Ray Bradbury, and a load I can't remember, but at the time they were wonderful and 'I can't remember what I've forgotten'....lets put it like this, over the years, the local school fete's have made plenty out of my book clear outs, but it was either that or me moving into my garden shed, just today my Mag has arrived from the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Club, and I always think, no don't buy any more, but, there is "The Forest Mage" by Robin Hobb and "Shadow Play by Tad Williams" also "The Blood Knight" by Greg Keyes there is loads of stuff in it, I'm wondering if I should buy "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch, I believe they are going to make a film of it, and I would prefer to read it first, and Tom Holt's new one "Barking" I think that title give it away, but perhaps I'm wrong, here we go again, that's annoying "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" only £3.99, I should have waited, must get my order in, looks like five more to order, have I got the room?
dragondottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 23:24   #304
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Reading Wilt in Nowhere at the moment...Tom Sharpe is up to his usual humorous standards

Whilst I enjoy Sci-Fi for reading a change is well worth it
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 00:04   #305
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Currently reading 'The Husband' by Dean Koontz - it's not rocket science, but it does what it says on the tin...

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
I can recommend Richard Morgan books, especially the Takeshi Kovacs series (they are linked, but not a trilogy) -Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.
I liked Altered Carbon, but was disappointed with the other two, especially Woken Furies....
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 17:22   #306
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Bit of a Seems like nobody has been reading lately!

I've just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon. Extremely good book... one of those that you just can't put down (mmm two nights of sleep deprivation while i tried to finish it).

I've now started Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich for bedtime reading, seems good so far. And The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman for daytime reading. Has some very interesting views on globalisation and the emergence of Indian/ Chinese call centres, but far too heavy for bedtime reading!
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 18:14   #307
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

I have started reading "the hard way" by lee child. Not a bad book really. I dont normally read much but have decided to get more into it and hopefully it will improve my poor grammer and spelling.

Has any1 else read any of the lee child jack reacher novels ? I only started reading this one but I am liking it. I know there are more in the series about 6 or 7 I think and might go back and read them to.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 18:39   #308
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
Bit of a Seems like nobody has been reading lately!

I've just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon. Extremely good book... one of those that you just can't put down (mmm two nights of sleep deprivation while i tried to finish it).
I have read that book!!!
Currently I am reading economics notes/books for my exam tomorrow lol.........
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 18:49   #309
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Richard Morgan's latest, Black Man.A new character but as good as his first book thus far.
Old 20-05-2007, 20:06   #310
wilkie2
Inactive

wilkie2 will become famous soon enoughwilkie2 will become famous soon enoughwilkie2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
I have started reading "the hard way" by lee child. Not a bad book really. I dont normally read much but have decided to get more into it and hopefully it will improve my poor grammer and spelling.

Has any1 else read any of the lee child jack reacher novels ? I only started reading this one but I am liking it. I know there are more in the series about 6 or 7 I think and might go back and read them to.

i have started reading lee child too

i have started 'the visitor' and i have just finished 'one shot' both good reads,i have tripwire,killing floor and without fail all waiting to be read,our local cancer relief shop had gotten someones collection so i snapped them up

another good 'series' is the DCI banks novels by peter robinson
wilkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 20:38   #311
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post

I've read them all - I would recommend them.

Also try (imho) Nelson DeMille and Harlan Coben - both cracking authors and good story tellers.
Old 25-05-2007, 11:52   #312
wilkie2
Inactive

wilkie2 will become famous soon enoughwilkie2 will become famous soon enoughwilkie2 will become famous soon enough

i picked up 4 or 5 demille books from our local flea market,going to give em a go after i run out of reachers
wilkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 11:55   #313
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I finally got hold of The Day of the Triffids so I have started to listen to that

Not sure what to go for next. Still trying to find a good reading of War of the Worlds.

I have Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption to listen to so I may go for that I think
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 20:35   #314
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Just started Good Omens by TP and Neil Gaiman (well I say started, I mean read the fist two pages ) I hope it's good.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 12:00   #315
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Just started Good Omens by TP and Neil Gaiman (well I say started, I mean read the fist two pages ) I hope it's good.
I liked it - it's a bit darker than the early TP books.