Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 22-11-2005, 18:26   #196
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
Re: What are you reading?

Just finished The Orchard On Fire by Shena Mackay:
When Percy and Betty Harlency abandon their seedy Streatham pub for the Copper Kettle Tearoom in Kent, life for their daughter, April, changes dramatically. She is befriended by the wonderfully dangerous Ruby, whose red hair and brutal home life emphasize her love of fire, and by the creepy but immaculately dressed Mr Greedridge, who likes to follow her around the village.

Mingling the innocent with the sinister and laced with the tragic and the bizarre, this is a true evocation on a 1950s childhood.
Excellent novel: great characters who you really empathise with, really well written with wit & compassion - definitely recommend it
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2005, 14:36   #197
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
I'm just nearing the end of 'The Big Over Easy' by Jasper Fforde - the blurb says:<snip>

I'm a big fan of his books anyway, but this one is top class - thoroughly recommended
I picked up Something Rotten in the airport bookshop yesterday while I was waiting to fly home. I bought it after being hit smack between the eyes by the most unbelievably surreal opening I've ever read in any book.

A pair of special detectives are on the trail of a minotaur who has escaped from his own novel and has gone to ground in the back-story of a third-rate western. And it gets a whole lot wierder than that. I bought it and am now reading avidly.

I just finished Ben Bova's latest 'tour of the solar system' novel, Mercury. It is by far the weakest of the four I've read so far (already finished Mars, Return to Mars and Venus). Mercury suffers from a disappointingly thin plot and a series of increasingly unlikely coincidences about two-thirds of the way through a flash-back that itself occupies about three quarters of the entire book. The whole thing reads like he knew he had to write Mercury to add to the series but didn't have much in the way of ideas for an actual story. Unless you're particularly a fan of the series (and so are interested in how the characters and events fit into the overall back story he's created) I wouldn't bother.

Hey, I used 'back story' twice in one post. Does that make me a real critic?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 17:57   #198
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just finished The Stand again - The Complete uncut version.

One of my most read books, I definately have a hankering for an apocolyptic story and this delivers on so many levels.

I bought 'IT' by the same author today, which is one of the few books by King that I've not read.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 18:00   #199
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's newest creation: Prey. I only have one word to describe it: SUPERB. This book is really great. The plot gives us an insight on what would become of nanotechnology when it is incorporated with genetic engineering and computer engineering. It also shows us what happens when our own creations become our own enemies. I really recommend it to those who love science fiction books, but beware of the jargon. Those who are not familliar with modern physics and some biology terms might not find this book easy to understand.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:55   #200
shuzt
Inactive

shuzt is on a distinguished roadshuzt is on a distinguished road

I've posted about "Always A Marine" previously, but have just clocked this link to a newspaper article about the author. Cool I thought.

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co...16/214137.html
shuzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 12:03   #201
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I' currently reading: Comm Check...: The Final Flight of Shuttle Columbia

...and then after I have: Space Race

...got both for Christmas!
Old 22-01-2006, 12:20   #202
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Velocity by Dean Koontz - prolly the best thriller I've ever read.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 16:09   #203
Orior
Permanently Banned

Orior has reached the bronze age
Orior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze ageOrior has reached the bronze age

Last 5 books I read:-

1) Life and time of Oscar Wilde
2) Uncle Toms Cabin
3) Catcher in the Rye
4) Playboy Annual
5) The Shankill Butchers
Orior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 16:14   #204
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The Chronicles of Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 13:10   #205
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Bit of a bump:

I am reading "The Golden Compass", part of Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

TBH, I don't know if I can be bothered to finish it. Seems pointless so far.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 13:19   #206
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Schon, D.A. 1987 Educating the reflective practitioner
Old 30-03-2006, 14:19   #207
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Thud... Terry Pratchett

As the last (so far) of the Guards series of Discworld books, having read the previous ones in order one after the other.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 14:33   #208
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Bit of a bump:

I am reading "The Golden Compass", part of Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Well theorectically you are reading a children's book...so you can't be blamed for not enjoying it.

By the way folks if anyone suggests you read Historian don't bother..All you are getting is a mishmash remake of Bram Stokes Dracula in the typically stodgy way that Stoker wrote.I had to force myself to finish it because it was a present.

Now the present giver is rising to the challenge of reading it all the way through..with any luck he'll never buy me a book again.When I say I want perfume I mean it...
Old 30-03-2006, 15:09   #209
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
Thud... Terry Pratchett

As the last (so far) of the Guards series of Discworld books, having read the previous ones in order one after the other.
Excellent, if a little confusing towards the end....
Old 30-03-2006, 15:13   #210
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Bit of a bump:

Well theorectically you are reading a children's book...so you can't be blamed for not enjoying it.
The reason I am reading it is several adult friends did, and said it was very enjoyable..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote