Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2018, 22:31   #2041
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
700,000 ?? A good turn out I'd say.. Peaceful protest shouldn't be ridiculed.

Would riots get more of an audience as Brexiters have threatened if they don't get the 'pure' Brexit they want ? Suspect most of them would just post rants on the Daily Fail/Torygraph rather than get off their elderly backsides.

All words and no action is the Brexit modus operandi.. Boris/ the Moggster are perfect examples. TM is safe if those wet blankets are her main rivals.
All back home now moaning about universal credit.
Old 21-10-2018, 22:58   #2042
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
All back home now moaning about universal credit.
I know I shouldn't, but . . .

*goes to sit on the naughty step before being told to*
Old 21-10-2018, 23:18   #2043
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
You forgot: -

5) Those who voted leave and realise what a huge mistake they made.
Nope, bollocks. I voted leave and STILL very glad to leave. So that is not a correct statement.

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I know some wanted it to rain yesterday but it was glorious sunshine. Maybe the sun shines on the righteous?

Here are some pictures to prove I actually did get off my arse, travelled to London and exercised my right to protest:

Attachment 27604
Attachment 27603

I like this one especially:

Attachment 27605

We met a few other protesters there .. which was nice .. over half a million I think.

Government starting to take this more seriously:

Civil servants ‘war-gaming a second Brexit referendum’ amid impasse fears

Next step writing to our MPs .. game on!
Wtf for?

The MPs gave parliament the mandate to give the people a vote already, that occurred in 2016 and significantly more people voted leave.

There will be no second referendum and rightly so as we don’t keep having votes because you don’t get the result you want.

Glad to know the march was all in vain.
Old 21-10-2018, 23:25   #2044
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Nope, bollocks. I voted leave and STILL very glad to leave. So that is not a correct statement.

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Wtf for?

The MPs gave parliament the mandate to give the people a vote already, that occurred in 2016 and significantly more people voted leave.

There will be no second referendum and rightly so as we don’t keep having votes because you don’t get the result you want.

Glad to know the march was all in vain.
You cannot lump everyone who voted leave into one bunch which is what the post I was responding to was claiming.

Odd how plans are being looked at by civil servants for the possibility of another vote.
Old 21-10-2018, 23:36   #2045
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Would riots get more of an audience as Brexiters have threatened if they don't get the 'pure' Brexit they want ? Suspect most of them would just post rants on the Daily Fail/Torygraph rather than get off their elderly backsides.

All words and no action is the Brexit modus operandi.. Boris/ the Moggster are perfect examples. TM is safe if those wet blankets are her main rivals.
700K ?

Is that all?

I’ve heard several estimates but Remainers would over inflate the numbers especially if Diane Abbott did the counting, does not matter. Doesn’t come close to 17.4 Million who voted to leave. Come back when it does FFS.

All the money People’s Vote put in and they could only muster up a few hundred thousand protesters. Over 1.5 million marched against the Iraq war, so less than half that amount yesterday, obviously means the country doesn’t feel the need for a second referendum.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
You cannot lump everyone who voted leave into one bunch which is what the post I was responding to was claiming.

Odd how plans are being looked at by civil servants for the possibility of another vote.
They will not succeed.

So nothing odd about it at all.
Old 21-10-2018, 23:37   #2046
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
700K ?

Is that all?

I’ve heard several estimates but Remainers would over inflate the numbers especially if Diane Abbott did the counting, does not matter. Doesn’t come close to 17.4 Million who voted to leave. Come back when it does FFS.

All the money People’s Vote put in and they could only muster up a few hundred thousand protesters. Over 1.5 million marched against the Iraq war, so less than half that amount yesterday, obviously means the country doesn’t feel the need for a second referendum.
I doubt she would do the counting. She voted for Article 50.
Old 22-10-2018, 06:34   #2047
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The Iraq War protest was about 1 million. The march on Saturday is the largest protest since then even if the numbers are probably inflated up from 600,000
Old 22-10-2018, 08:32   #2048
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The Iraq War protest was about 1 million. The march on Saturday is the largest protest since then even if the numbers are probably inflated up from 600,000
So the Iraq was a protest was way bigger and the government of the day, that’s Labour, completely ignored the protest and the war raged on. So quite rightly the Losers vote March should also be rightfully be ignored.

There is absolutely no justification to hold another referendum, that the losers want to have a chance to stop Brexit. But say Remain wins this time, why the hell should this referendum be the deciding factor, why should we listen to the results of the second referendum when the first was ignored?

Let’s make it the best of it 5 FFS just to be sure.

The people in U.K. had a vote, in 2016, leave won the majority vote, thus deciding that the U.K. should leave the EU in its entirety. That meant to me, leave every aspect of the EU. No staying in the corrupted union via the back door. It was very clear to me what I was voting for and I do not regret my vote to leave the corrupted EU. We need to get on with leaving.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:38   #2049
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
So the Iraq was a protest was way bigger and the government of the day, that’s Labour, completely ignored the protest and the war raged on. So quite rightly the Losers vote March should also be rightfully be ignored.
People can't expect a second referendum to happen just because of one protest. That would be absurd and protests are not an accurate representation of the feeling of the entire country.

What it does do is maintain the pressure reminding the government, if they had somehow forgotten, how divided the country is. It's a further sign of the strength of feeling around Brexit and that once we leave in March that the division and anger won't go away.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:40   #2050
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Certainly dwarfs anything Leave could assemble when they were trying to change the status quo. Dark money paying for Metro newspaper advertising and social media can only go so far.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:50   #2051
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
People can't expect a second referendum to happen just because of one protest. That would be absurd and protests are not an accurate representation of the feeling of the entire country.

What it does do is maintain the pressure reminding the government, if they had somehow forgotten, how divided the country is. It's a further sign of the strength of feeling around Brexit and that once we leave in March that the division and anger won't go away.
And you agree if the protesters get their way, democracy will be abused in the sense that a precedent will be set, that if future votes don’t go the way of the side that lost, the losers can protest and demand another vote?

It’s not a true democracy when there are demands to hold the same vote, again and again. It’s the EU way but UK needs to say no way, we had a vote and it’s all that is required.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:52   #2052
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are you trying to drum up support for the beleaguered Theresa May? If so, I think it's the likes of mutinous Rees-Mogg and treacherous BoJo whom you should be turning your attention too as unlike Dave, they have a vote in Parliament.
No, Andrew, I'm just stating fact. Without an EU deal, we have a hard Brexit. Go figure.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:54   #2053
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Certainly dwarfs anything Leave could assemble when they were trying to change the status quo. Dark money paying for Metro newspaper advertising and social media can only go so far.
Are you joking?

Leave won by 17.4 million people- we were victorious in winning the Democratic vote, we showed up at the ballot box, you tell me why the victors should assemble to march when we bloody won?

Such absurd thing for you to say Andrew. It’s complete bollocks.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:12   #2054
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Leavers knew that the consequences of a leave vote would mean years of uncertainty and an ongoing debate about the relationship with the EU. So why they're complaining about a situation of their own making is somewhat bewildering.
The leavers are add odds with one another because some want a clean break and others want a deal with the EU.

The 'hard Brexiteers', for want of a better term, are fearful that Theresa May's Chequers plan will ruin our ability to forge new trade deals and tie us into the EU rules so that we are not truly independent. However, I think there are misunderstandings about that, and when the full details of this deal are released shortly, the vast majority of leavers will see that this is a sensible arrangement that TM has negotiated.

Dominic Raab on the Andrew Marr Show yesterday was a breath of fresh air.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Quote:

700,000? How many do you think would join a protest by the Brexiteers, who are in a majority? No amount of protesting by a vocal minority, even if it is a large minority, is going to change this decision.

We will leave, almost certainly with a deal. I am sure Parliament will have taken notice of the protest and opt to accept the deal rather than go for a complete break. It's the only compromise on offer.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

Quote:
Imagine the Leave campaign in the event of a second referendum? Will they be in televised debates claiming how easy it will be to get a trade deal with the EU, how easy it will be to sign trade deals around the world, how leaving won't harm the economy. Who will now believe what they're saying?
When they line up their illegal money for Facebook ads, Nick Clegg will be watching and stop them.
For all the reasons above, Leave doesn't want a People's Vote. They know they can't win any vote without lying and cheating and enlisting the aid of foreign governments that are hostile to this great country of ours.
You really do live in a different world, don't you, Andrew? Why waste taxpayers' money as well as valuable time on another vote if Theresa May has delivered on the referendum decision? It's typical EU tactics to keep asking until they get the decision they want, following which no further votes will be entertained.

The EU is not democratic. They don't allow the wishes of the majority their say and they don't care. I, for one, no longer wish to be part of such a repressive institution, and frankly I am amazed that you should be raging against leaving it. I can only explain this by assuming it's the result of the Stockholm syndrome. Nothing else makes sense.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 22-10-2018 at 09:16.
Old 22-10-2018, 09:21   #2055
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
First, it actually isn't undemocratic. We don't directly vote for it, but then we don't directly vote for anyone in the cabinet.
This flaccid argument has been tried before.......

The Cabinet is made up of "democratically elected" MPs, appointed by the PM.

The EU Commission is made up of "appointed" representatives.

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Quote:
For all the reasons above, Leave doesn't want a People's Vote. They know they can't win any vote without lying and cheating and enlisting the aid of foreign governments that are hostile to this great country of ours.
we had a peoples vote, it was called the General Election. The Lib-dems, SNP and Greens all stood on a platform to reverse the referendum.

Nobody voted for them.