Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-11-2013, 22:53   #3916
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
BT customers across the board are going to pay for what is a ridiculously ott payment for the Champions League...[COLOR="Silver"]
Was it OTT?

as someone pointed out - for the 3 year deal it's only 4 months of BT profit.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2013, 23:16   #3917
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Was it OTT?
Over The Top!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 23:26   #3918
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

It was a question asking if it was OTT not what is OTT lol
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57   #3919
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
The ITV story was quite misleading, it said the sport had moved away from FTA TV and BT would charge for the matches. Well they already do as part of a monthly subscription or free to XL Virgin customers. ITV who were obviously a bit bitter from losing the rights chose to try and spin the story to make it sound like something it was not.

As for channels and new BT sport channels, what we have to remember is VM is not run by the morons who sold Bravo to Sky and then let them move some of the content to a channel they did not have the rights to. Being such a large player would LG really let a deal be negotiated for the BT channels that did not include any future channel launches?
I don't think that's misleading. BT said the matches would be "chargeable", and the interpretation of that word by ITV is the same as widely reported elsewhere.

The more I consider this deal the more I think it very unlikely it's included in the current Virgin deal. We shall see.

---------- Post added at 03:57 ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Was it OTT?

That's profit from the entire business, presumably? It is difficult to see how it can make any money directly from the deal if Sky felt even they couldn't, and it's also ensured that the next Premier League rights auction will again be record breaking. Was it ott? I'd say yes. It can't pay for itself, it's more than double the previous cycle for nothing more and it has probably set us on a path of years of rights inflation that just cannot be sustainable.

Bust follows boom.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:05   #3920
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I don't think that's misleading. BT said the matches would be "chargeable", and the interpretation of that word by ITV is the same as widely reported elsewhere.

The more I consider this deal the more I think it very unlikely it's included in the current Virgin deal. We shall see.

---------- Post added at 03:57 ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 ----------

That's profit from the entire business, presumably? It is difficult to see how it can make any money directly from the deal if Sky felt even they couldn't, and it's also ensured that the next Premier League rights auction will again be record breaking. Was it ott? I'd say yes. It can't pay for itself, it's more than double the previous cycle for nothing more and it has probably set us on a path of years of rights inflation that just cannot be sustainable.

Bust follows boom.
I think more so as the fees charged to punters is near saturation.

I had already decided (pre-BT) to drop espn, when I was only charged 10 pounds per month, as I didn't think it was worth it, as I was also paying sky.

I decided to try bt broadband, so bt sport was free.

Anything that dilutes this, or increases prices, means i will likely drop something.

I could afford to keep paying, but there is a point when i start thinking, is it worth it.

Worst case scenario, I follow online, and watch BBC highlights. Save myself a fortune, to waste elsewhere
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:06   #3921
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Does anyone know what the next big set of sporting rights are that will be up for grabs? Football and non-football?
BT set to go after more sports rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/104...er-sports.html
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18   #3922
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I want to see if BT will go for the F1 rights when the deal ends in 2018
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22   #3923
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
BT set to go after more sports rights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/104...er-sports.html
The board is set now and Sky better prepare itself for a army of tanks to drive onto its lawn as the battle intensifies.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:23   #3924
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The board is set now and Sky better prepare itself for a army of tanks to drive onto its lawn as the battle intensifies.
I am hoping both spend big.

More money to spend
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29   #3925
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Was it OTT?

£81 per customer. Yes it is OTT. Bordering on obscene. Compare it to the price rises BT customers will get and the charge for the games when they come not the percentage of BT profits.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30   #3926
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

With the comments about BT paying too much for sports rights does anyone remember when Sky moved into profit? They certainly weren't in profit from the get go.

I don't think they made a profit during the first few years of the PL rights?
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30   #3927
Doug P
Inactive

Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I want to see if BT will go for the F1 rights when the deal ends in 2018
More channel launches to come then?

If so can our experts on here say if VM deal covers new channels?

Bet it doesn't!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33   #3928
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
With the comments about BT paying too much for sports rights does anyone remember when Sky moved into profit? They certainly weren't in profit from the get go.

I don't think they made a profit during the first few years of the PL rights?
No Sky did not make a profit in the first few years John.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
More channel launches to come then?

If so can our experts on here say if VM deal covers new channels?

Bet it doesn't!!
That's hard to say as none of us will ever see the contract details Doug so like many other things its a guessing game.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37   #3929
Doug P
Inactive

True Den but bet for example BT Sport F1 would be extra.....
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40   #3930
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
True Den but bet for example BT Sport F1 would be extra.....
Highly likely given that providers are out to grab as much money as they can.