Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2008, 18:09   #11986
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
You all missed the really meaty result of the AGM protest which was the debate about the covert trials in HoL today!!!

http://www.publications.parliament.u...ldtoday/02.htm

BRAVO BARONESS MILLER AND EARL OF NORTHESK (PLUS VARIOUS OTHER PEERS).

Furthermore, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARONESS MILLER!

Alexander Hanff
Superb

Btw, we might need to be more cautious about the strategy of protest by physical attendance if we're to avoid the possibility of gifting the opposition with PR opportunities. There are a multitude of very valid reasons why people cannot attend events and we wouldn't want any correlation implied between turn out and the true opposition to webwise.

It might be better to describe attendees at future events as a delegation that represents thousands of internet users?
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2008, 18:12   #11987
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Its very rare for a war to be won on the first battle. We have come a long way and made a big impact. The petition, home office, ICO, EU, BT shareholders, BT Directors, VM, TT and loads more I am sure we could all add to represent people who would not know if not for us.
The emotional and personal attacts on us by inversters and others shows we have made a difference.
The next target I suggest is the mainstream press.
Maybe we can get some of the big retailers concerned. I have written to Tesco's & Sainsbury's many more to choose from.
Retailers have a vested interest in keeping their customers their customers, not in allowing their customers browsing habits being passed to their compeditors.

Just a few thoughts.

Also it was good to put faces to people yesterday, hope to see you all again.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-07-2008, 18:14   #11988
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Phorm can try and spin the protest any way they wish, it won't change the fact that over a thousand new people are now aware and angry about BT's plans. It won't change the fact that the EU Commission are very likely to use the EU Court if the UK Authorities don't act against Phorm and BT for the covert trials. It won't change the fact that 65% of British broadband users would leave their ISP if they deploy Phorm or similar behavioural advertising methods. And it certainly won't change the fact that Phorm are $850 million USD worse off as a result of their lies and actions.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-07-2008, 18:20   #11989
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Strictly speaking, from a non technical understanding of the previous 800 pages and other things I have read while Safari is compatible, Safari screams and shouts and warns the user of all the 307 redirects going on (after all they could be phishing attacks) and makes Phormed browsing such an unpleasant and intrusive experience that Phorm decided to not intercept flow with x-safari or whatever it is in the browser description.
I suppose again, strictly speaking , (and correct me again if I am wrong) while Phorm may have decided at the time not to intercept flow, initially to avoid the redirect issues for Safari browsers and therefore not serve the adverts, the data itself is still intercepted (as it effectively still in-line).

The difference being is that they are inasmuch simulating an opt out scenario.

It is my understanding that there is still nothing theoretically and technically speaking that could stop Phorm copying everything that is going on in that particular browsing session for whatever reason. Unless Opt out totally avoids Phorm's equipment altogether at account level we are relying purely on trust that this does not and will not occur.
Old 17-07-2008, 18:28   #11990
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Firstly, Happy Birthday to Baroness Miller. We thank you for your interest and support!

Secondly, can someone please refer/remind me of the statement by the ICO(?) that Phorm needs to 'allay customer concerns' and 'engage with the public' regarding its technology?
Old 17-07-2008, 18:34   #11991
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

We do indeed thank Baroness Miller et al. If we are going by the HOL proceedings, however, it is Baroness Gardner of Parkes who has a birthday today.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who attended the gathering, everyone who supported it with posters etc, and everyone who donated to the costs.

Old 17-07-2008, 18:39   #11992
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
We do indeed thank Baroness Miller et al. If we are going by the HOL proceedings, however, it is Baroness Gardner of Parkes who has a birthday today.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who attended the gathering, everyone who supported it with posters etc, and everyone who donated to the costs.
Ahhhhh my mistake, I just totally confused Richard her researcher on that too lol.

Well happy birthday to Baroness Gardner then

I just got off the phone with Baroness Miller's researcher and asked him relay the thanks of everyone who attended the event and also the wider public group campaigning against this technology.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-07-2008, 18:42   #11993
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

There are possibly a lot of persons such as myself who witnessed their browser hijack and the clicking as it was redirected and complained to BT as I did even got PIN num for tech help in UK but ended up formatting PC's for fear of virus that could not be removed but as the help desk new nothing we did not know that this was BT carrying out covert trials with Phorm/Webwise.We are the agrieved here where is our protection from BT and Phorm thuggery even now My surfing habits have changed and the enjoyment of the net has been taken from myself and many others,Isnt it a wonder we are very angry with our ISP's,so why are we continualy painted as the bad guys in this ,remeber Kent data collection stores your past record and not one person here put you up to your data theft and previous Rootkits Etc Etc. Come on ICO and Police protect the public from serial offenders all we want is privacy and justice.

from a very unhappy BT customer Bob aka Tarquin G Loombreaker-smythe
Old 17-07-2008, 18:42   #11994
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

did i read the HOL right they need a test case in court?
Old 17-07-2008, 18:42   #11995
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Same here - is it only BT users who get bt.phorm.com?
I don't get bt.phorm.com and I'm on BT
Old 17-07-2008, 18:42   #11996
Hank

Smile Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
You all missed the really meaty result of the AGM protest which was the debate about the covert trials in HoL today!!!

Alexander Hanff
D'you know I feel moved. I might even write to the Baroness again since she has gone far further than I asked of her. And hats off to those who made the London event and to Alexander again... That Lord's record above is truly recognition of the efforts of you and all.

Much still to do! I'll report on our chief constable's response to my report of the bt activity soon I hope. Sent recorded delivery to ensure if understands I consider it important enough.

To echo what's been said already... And for the record, anyone pro Phorm / Webwise who thinks my lack of adding to the numbers in London is a sign of disinterest: wrong!

Old 17-07-2008, 18:50   #11997
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
I'm in a rush - but does what the HO minister said about no contacts prior to... pan out with what is in Dephormation's FOI bundles on Counter Terrorism unit contacts about Phorm?
Old 17-07-2008, 18:51   #11998
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
did i read the HOL right they need a test case in court?
It would appear to be the case yes.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-07-2008, 18:56   #11999
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
Just tried the Windows version of Safari with a "simulation" of a triple 307 redirect via webwise.net, it didn't complain and happily accepted the webwise.net UID cookie.
My bad, someone else corrected earlier, it is to do with Safari handling of third party cookies.
Old 17-07-2008, 18:58   #12000
Hank

A test case in court Alexander? I wonder if anyone has given the police enough evidence to hand to the CPS and get that going already. Either in London or in a county elsewhere. Interesting.

Closed Thread