Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 21:31   #11851
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
The problem with using a cookie is that the system has to be able to read it. To read it, the system has to intercept the data stream.

The problem with the current system is that the OIX scripts hosted by partner sites is looking for the opt-in/out cookie to decide which advert to display. It reads as though the OIX will be targeting all visitors in some way - using a tracking cookie like the other ad networks? - so the current system relies on finding either a 'webwise cookie' or an 'oix cookie'.

The talk has been of providing a cookie-less variant for the final implementation. The technical details of this will make for some interesting reading. [The same code injection displayed by the 2006/7 trials? - similar to the NebuAd method]
Only problem with a cookie variant is my router blocks tracking cookies, therefore the cookie system will make phorm fall foul of the law as i wont agree with opting in.
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2008, 21:40   #11852
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

welcome to the 65 guests looking and listening, please log in an make yourself and your opinions known, as well as adding your voice to the debate

there also seems to be a few members i do not recognize, come on speak up
peter

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

i have been trying to make sense of the share price movement today, i can only come to one conclusion

shares seem to be like women, nothing about either of them makes sense O(:-)

peter
Old 16-07-2008, 22:26   #11853
Xerxes
Inactive

Xerxes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Long time lurker, but, pretty much a permanent nagger of friends & colleagues. Well done on raising the profile of Phorm at the demo.

I've got 7 Virgin customers plus myself who have informed Virgin that we are leaving the second they have anything to do with Phorm.

Cheers
Old 16-07-2008, 22:31   #11854
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Hi,

Long time lurker, but, pretty much a permanent nagger of friends & colleagues. Well done on raising the profile of Phorm at the demo.

I've got 7 Virgin customers plus myself who have informed Virgin that we are leaving the second they have anything to do with Phorm.

Cheers
welcome Xerxes, keep going, the only way the ISP's will listen is when they lose revenue

peter
Old 16-07-2008, 22:35   #11855
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Hi,

Cheers
Xerxes, Keep up the nagging its exactly that attitude that will win the day
Old 16-07-2008, 22:39   #11856
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Welcome Xerxes! Nice of you to join us.
Old 16-07-2008, 22:45   #11857
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

off topic oops wrong thread oops thank you.
Old 16-07-2008, 22:54   #11858
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
on a side note if you got a ebay a/c they are opting in all users for ad`s and what not heres what i found opted in by default.

Yes, please use my information to show me relevant ads from eBay's ad network partners.
Yes, please use my information to show me relevant eBay ads on other sites.

so check it if you have a A/C
The ebay adchoice system is for this thread. Please see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25...ng-system.html thank you.
Old 16-07-2008, 23:06   #11859
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Further examples of "more relevant" advertising from BT: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ne...cerns-403.html
Old 16-07-2008, 23:12   #11860
bluecar1
Inactive

alex how did the evidence go down with the police??

how many flyers did you have to take home, or did you get through the lot?

peter
Old 16-07-2008, 23:20   #11861
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Just got home will post an article on NoDPI in the next hour.

Alexander Hanff
Old 16-07-2008, 23:30   #11862
Capt Pugwash
Inactive

Capt Pugwash is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone understand the connection between Phorms major invester, Gestrust SA and it's prime mover Marc Angst (good name), his other strange company Arxiel, and their collection of dubious penny stocks like Identica Holdings Corporation?

I'm still wondering if Phorm was ever meant to be a serious company, or just a penny stock scam.

Odd that Phorm says that it hasn't issued a press release since 15 Apr 08?
Old 16-07-2008, 23:30   #11863
bluecar1
Inactive

just found this on ico website, not seen it before

Q: I’ve heard that the ICO has gained new powers. When will they come into force? Will you be producing guidance?
The Criminal Justice and Immigration Act has received Royal Assent creating tough new sanctions for the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).This new legislation gives us the power to impose substantial fines on organisations that deliberately or recklessly commit serious breaches of the Data Protection Act.

The finer details including time scales and amounts to be fined still have to go back to Parliament to be signed off.

We will then be producing guidance on the new powers. Unfortunately, we have not been provided with a timescale. However, we will place more information on our website as matters progress.
does this mean the ICO "MAY" be given a set of dentures to deal with the likes of BT and phorm

peter
Old 16-07-2008, 23:34   #11864
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

Great job by all the people who turned up and informed more people about Phorm and the isp's, im one of the people who couldnt go due to commitments but have to say thank you for everything you guys did today.
Old 16-07-2008, 23:34   #11865
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pugwash View Post
Does anyone understand the connection between Phorms major invester, Gestrust SA and it's prime mover Marc Angst (good name), his other strange company Arxiel, and their collection of dubious penny stocks like Identica Holdings Corporation?

I'm still wondering if Phorm was ever meant to be a serious company, or just a penny stock scam.

Odd that Phorm says that it hasn't issued a press release since 15 Apr 08?
to work that out you need to find out what is happening to all the cash sloshing around in phorm, what purpose is it being used for or is it just sitting gaining interest?, is it being siphoned offf as directors drawings or bonuses?

the next set of interim accounts will be interesting to see out goings and what headings they put what amounts under

the rate of usage of the cash will also give an idea of how long phorm can survive with no income

peter
Closed Thread