Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky +

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky +

Old 05-01-2011, 22:02   #1
jimboo
Inactive

jimboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky +

Simple question , what is the best deal i can hope to get from sky if i get rid of my 16 year old Panasonic box and upgrade it to sky+

I do not have a telephone line (£25.00) is charged by sky because of this??? i do not want multiroom or any fancy hd package. I will pay for installation but i do not want to have a phone line. Have any of you managed to negotiate a good deal from Sky?
jimboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2011, 22:04   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Sky +

Try this thread as he got his offer through live chat which must be on the SKY website http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92...ffered-me.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 22:41   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You are being charged £25 because you are not connecting the line to your box, the box is subsidised for new customers and the agreement is that it is connected to your telephone line for the first 12 months. If you have no line or do not want it connected to the line you can pay a one off fee to not have to plug it in.
Current cost for a new Sky+ box is £99 plus installation (and in your case an additional £25 for not having it on a phone line)
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:05   #4
jimboo
Inactive

Why does the box need the telephone line and where is the £25.00 figure from?
Old 06-01-2011, 18:32   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/tv/

Quote:
2. Interactive Discount

(a) We will pay the Interactive Discount provided that you keep to the Conditions of this Contract.

(b) You agree that, at all times from installation to the end of the Minimum Term, your Box will be fully and effectively connected to a Minidish and to a fixed and operational telephone line in the Territory which is capable of making outgoing calls. If before the end of the Minimum Term, you disconnect your Box from your telephone line and fail to reconnect it after being notified by us that you need to do so, you must reimburse us for an amount equal to the Interactive Discount we paid for the free supply of your Digital Satellite System. This amount shall not exceed £25. If you become liable to pay this amount, we shall notify you in writing
Old 06-01-2011, 20:31   #6
jimboo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Thank you for the reply , however it doesn't answer the question. Interactive discount lol , so the box does not need the telephone line and you can have a box without a telephone line as long as you pay £25.00 , sorry that is <deleted - please do not bypass the profanity filter> a la la land creative rip off .

After a minimum period they do not care if it is connected or not!! however you are in breach of a contract unless you pay £25.00 then the clause becomes redundant.

I am sure the interactive discount could be wavered. After all exactly what changes after the minimum contract?
Old 06-01-2011, 22:38   #7
Paul K
Inactive

After minimum contract the box belongs to you. You can have the box without a telephone line attached for a one off fee, after 12 months the equipment ownership passes to you and they then do not care if it's on the line or not as you have then completed the 12 month period needed to cover the "Interactive Discount".
As to fees being waived that will come down to who you speak to on the day and if they have a target to hit for the week/ month.
Also it does answer your question as that is the best price for the change of equipment, any deals handed out are agreed on the call and it's rare that 2 deals are identical so no one knows "the best deal".
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03   #8
jimboo
Inactive

Thanks again Paul. It is all a little uneccessery and (alas) typically un-customer friendly. There is a real need for Sky to clean their web page , ordering system and package deals up. Their customers should neet feel as though they are walking through a minefield of hidden costs and contracts. I would be cheaper buying a box on e-bay and using a local chap to install the cabling req.
Old 07-01-2011, 18:12   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Quite probably but then if the box fails you have to sort it out yourself. If you go the DIY route you will still need to get a viewing card paired to it.

Personally if you want to try Sky I would suggest making it clear from the start you are unhappy about the costs and might leave if an agreement isn't reached but like I said it will depend on the agent you get and how far you are willing to push it. With a bit of luck the agent will need to hit their target and will bend a bit, if you are unlucky though you will hit one that has made their targets and are happy to play hardball.

Sky have the fee or line set up as someone can take a free or cheap box and sell it on for a massive gain if there is no way of making sure you know the box is where it is supposed to be.