Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

Old 12-08-2023, 13:05   #46
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, these are not the points I’m arguing. Yes, clearly the law has been broken and that should carry consequences.

My point is that this obsession we have to list buildings has gone too far and the law needs to change. There will be those buildings we wish to preserve, of course, but if nobody wants to buy it and preserve it, it should be bought by the government.
Total red herring here, OB. You wished them luck ffs.

If you want to go away and campaign for the destruction of anything meaningful and our national heritage knock yourself out. If the pub/land in the current legal framework had no value it should have been sold on that basis - not to someone to burn it down.

If you follow such a flawed logic one could reasonably say the asylum system is failing so “good luck” to make those who wish to make the crossing on small boats.

Last edited by jfman; 12-08-2023 at 13:12.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2023, 13:10   #47
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
And no doubt the same comment could be made of leaning tower of Pisa. Both buildings have undergone some "stabilization". The pub had huge internal steel beams, some of which were clearly visible after the fire. I visited the place back in 2010 & was very impressed with how they were maintaining it.
Working closely with someone who is in building control I know councils take safety very seriously.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 21:17   #48
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-66514759

I can only assume when OB nods to the entrepreneurial spirit of this couple that’s a euphemism for the accelerant they use.
Old 16-08-2023, 08:16   #49
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

I can only assume when OB nods to the entrepreneurial spirit of this couple that’s a euphemism for the accelerant they use.
They really have had bad luck with things they own burning to ashes in catastrophic fires, haven’t they.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 17:21   #50
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Crooked House: Arson arrests in wonky pub fire probe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-66608279
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 16:30   #51
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

While I disagree with the restrictive planning laws on so many buildings ‘of interest’, because I believe it’s your own business if you want to pull an old building down on your own land, I accept that legal action must be taken to enforce the law as it stands.

Obviously, there will be some buildings that the government might want to preserve, but I think far too many are being added to the list.
Old 25-08-2023, 16:51   #52
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
While I disagree with the restrictive planning laws on so many buildings ‘of interest’, because I believe it’s your own business if you want to pull an old building down on your own land, I accept that legal action must be taken to enforce the law as it stands.

Obviously, there will be some buildings that the government might want to preserve, but I think far too many are being added to the list.
The law of the land is the law of the land, whether you agree with it or not.

It’s not for the Government to have to purchase perfectly acceptable historic buildings to save them from criminal vultures.
Old 25-08-2023, 16:56   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The law of the land is the law of the land, whether you agree with it or not.
I don’t disagree. I said as much.

Quote:

It’s not for the Government to have to purchase perfectly acceptable historic buildings to save them from criminal vultures.
If they want to list them, they should buy them if the owner disagrees.
Old 25-08-2023, 17:23   #54
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I don’t disagree. I said as much.

If they want to list them, they should buy them if the owner disagrees.
And if they’re already listed, presumably buyers shouldn’t purchase them to burn them down.
Old 26-08-2023, 13:02   #55
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And if they’re already listed, presumably buyers shouldn’t purchase them to burn them down.
I would just gently point out that the pub wasn’t listed.
Old 26-08-2023, 13:17   #56
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not listed but listing.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 13:42   #57
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You are the one banging on about the Government having to buy listed buildings.
Old 26-08-2023, 13:55   #58
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
My point is that this obsession we have to list buildings has gone too far and the law needs to change.
The building wasnt listed, so you have no point thats relevant to this topic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 14:41   #59
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

The OP mentioned listing in his first post, and it has been raised on several occasions on here by various posters. I was addressing those points.

Yes, it wasn’t listed, but there were moves to do so prior to the fire.
Old 27-02-2024, 13:17   #60
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-68414524

A welcome development - they’ve been ordered to rebuild it.

Hopefully some kind of deterrent for future arsonist property developers.