Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN may lose EPL Football(Update)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN may lose EPL Football(Update)
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 00:54   #361
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ESPN may lose EPL Football(Update)

Social unrest and Armageddon! Not just a game then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...el-Walker.html
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34   #362
Emel
Inactive

Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-23904506/

Rangers fans want to start again in Division 3. I will be a bit gutted after many years as a big TV fan of Rangers Celtic games but maybe this is right and the games will be even better when Rangers are back, in the right way, in a few years time.
Old 13-07-2012, 14:48   #363
Emel
Inactive

So it is SFL Division 3 for Rangers next season! It will be at least three years before they are back in the premier league competing with Celtic (assuming Scottish football doesn't reorganise).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18813407

This makes ESPN's sports offering, after they lose the English Premier League, look a bit weaker. Will ESPN still merit a place in the XL pack after next season, could the XL pack money be better spent? I am all for sports channels; perhaps a compromise position would be to keep ESPN but with Virgin playing considerably less for a less attractive package.
Old 13-07-2012, 15:29   #364
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emel View Post
So it is SFL Division 3 for Rangers next season! It will be at least three years before they are back in the premier league competing with Celtic (assuming Scottish football doesn't reorganise).

This makes ESPN's sports offering, after they lose the English Premier League, look a bit weaker. Will ESPN still merit a place in the XL pack after next season, could the XL pack money be better spent? I am all for sports channels; perhaps a compromise position would be to keep ESPN but with Virgin playing considerably less for a less attractive package.
hopefully on the new bt football channel
Old 13-07-2012, 17:32   #365
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

As a Rangers fan I would love this to be the end of the story...... but I don't think it will be. I've always said Division 3 is the only place Rangers should go. Reports today however suggest SPL2 will now be hastily rushed through prior to the start of the season with Rangers and other Division clubs invited to make up the "breakaway" league. If this is true, I'm totally disgusted.

Rangers had the following on their website very soon after the outcome of the vote:

"Rangers' future remains uncertain after the Scottish Football League clubs voted against the Light Blues playing in the First Division next season.

"At a meeting at Hampden today, the 30 member clubs agreed to accept Rangers into the SFL but voted against the SFL board being allowed to broker a deal with the SPL and SFA over new structures and procedures which would also include Rangers playing in Division One.

"It is now understood that on the back of a briefing SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFA counterpart Stewart Regan gave to clubs last week that the SPL will introduce a plan for SPL 2 - which would include Rangers - and invite existing Division One members to join."
Old 13-07-2012, 18:59   #366
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

i wish people would stop calling them Rangers
Rangers are no more the club they are trying to get in the SFL is a new club born from the assets that use to be Rangers.
they have not even choosen a name for the new club yet.
Old 13-07-2012, 19:52   #367
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
Rangers are no more the club they are trying to get in the SFL is a new club born from the assets that use to be Rangers.
Nobody's child

Are we guessing new names?
Relegated Already Now, Get Exquisite Revenge Someday Football Club?
Old 13-07-2012, 22:42   #368
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
You are correct however the SFA, SPL, SFL, newspapers, radio stations, TV channels, websites, Rangers fans and the vast majority of Scottish football fans still recognise this newco as Rangers. You'll be fighting a losing battle trying to change peoples minds on this.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Nobody's child

Are we guessing new names?
Relegated Already Now, Get Exquisite Revenge Someday Football Club?
I quite liked the very catchy "The Rangers Football Club" that Charles Green came up with a few weeks back

I really hope the SFA and Stewart Regan accept todays ruling but the statement on the BBC website suggests more messing with the leagues due next week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18838183

"Ultimately, there must be an outcome that enables Scottish football to move on with consensus, clarity and confidence into a new era for the national game."

We do have a very clear outcome. 10 of 12 SPL clubs voted against Rangers entering into the SPL. 25 of 30 SLF clubs voted for Rangers to join the 3rd division. Scottish football fans are happy. Rangers fans are happy. Ally McCoist stated "I fully supported the fans' views that starting again in Division Three maintains the sporting integrity that the SPL clubs were so keen on." Charles Green stated ""We are a football club and we just want to get back to playing football. Now is the time to move on and start afresh."

The SFA and Stewart Regan need to stop this now! Lets move forward and try and keep what very little diginity Scottish football has left in tact.
Old 14-07-2012, 06:24   #369
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
You are correct however the SFA, SPL, SFL, newspapers, radio stations, TV channels, websites, Rangers fans and the vast majority of Scottish football fans still recognise this newco as Rangers. You'll be fighting a losing battle trying to change peoples minds on this.[COLOR="Silver"]
What's in a name? Are you going to support the newco? Are they going to play in blue and at Ibrox? I understand that this is a new club which until recently didn't exist, but it is Rangers.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:54   #370
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

When a company goes bust, is it not possible to purchase the company name? When Woolworths went under someone bought the name and turned it into a bargain website. When Newco bought the Rangers assets was the Company name Rangers football club not also up for sale? Also why has no one suggested AFC Rangers or Glasgow Rangers AFC or even FC Rangers of Glasgow, it all works.
Old 14-07-2012, 15:43   #371
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
When a company goes bust, is it not possible to purchase the company name? When Woolworths went under someone bought the name and turned it into a bargain website. When Newco bought the Rangers assets was the Company name Rangers football club not also up for sale? Also why has no one suggested AFC Rangers or Glasgow Rangers AFC or even FC Rangers of Glasgow, it all works.
When Rangers were bought by Charles Green's consortium it was an asset purchase all intellectual property rights etc. transferred.

It is the controlling PLC that is being liquidated not the club.
Old 14-07-2012, 16:05   #372
sebastion
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Talk and BB.
sebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Sorry m8, but i had to laugh at AFC Rangers. You do realise, Rangers fans detest the Sheep from up North..... baaaah.

We will always be Rangers.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:41   #373
Emel
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
As a Rangers fan I would love this to be the end of the story...... but I don't think it will be. I've always said Division 3 is the only place Rangers should go. Reports today however suggest SPL2 will now be hastily rushed through prior to the start of the season with Rangers and other Division clubs invited to make up the "breakaway" league. If this is true, I'm totally disgusted.

Rangers had the following on their website very soon after the outcome of the vote:

"Rangers' future remains uncertain after the Scottish Football League clubs voted against the Light Blues playing in the First Division next season.

"At a meeting at Hampden today, the 30 member clubs agreed to accept Rangers into the SFL but voted against the SFL board being allowed to broker a deal with the SPL and SFA over new structures and procedures which would also include Rangers playing in Division One.

"It is now understood that on the back of a briefing SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFA counterpart Stewart Regan gave to clubs last week that the SPL will introduce a plan for SPL 2 - which would include Rangers - and invite existing Division One members to join."
There seems to be a strong feeling against the Doncaster/Regan scheming.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-23908629/

I wonder just how bad the loss of TV money will really be. TV broadcasters will still want Scottish Football and ESPN will have to look at their priorities without the EPL. BT also need more content for their sports channel. Maybe the gloom merchants are overplaying their hand.

On the subject of BT (or ESPN even). I hope they make a play for Premier Sport's NRL coverage. At least I would be able to watch it on Virgin then!
Old 15-07-2012, 11:09   #374
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There seems to be a strong feeling against the Doncaster/Regan scheming.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-23908629/

I wonder just how bad the loss of TV money will really be. TV broadcasters will still want Scottish Football and ESPN will have to look at their priorities without the EPL. BT also need more content for their sports channel. Maybe the gloom merchants are overplaying their hand.

On the subject of BT (or ESPN even). I hope they make a play for Premier Sport's NRL coverage. At least I would be able to watch it on Virgin then!
Another publication has suggested that a vote of no confidence is on the cards for Regan from SFL clubs. The man needs to go.

I'm still going to go and watch Rangers. Still no idea how much a season ticket will be. Still no tickets for the first home game on sale via their website. I'll also be going to some of the away games too. Clyde, East Stirling and Stirling Albion are about 15 minutes away in the car. Queens Park at Hampden should be fun too.

Now that the "worst case scenario" has happened I'm surprised that neither SKY or ESPN have officially confirmed or reiterated their stance.
Old 15-07-2012, 15:29   #375
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

When will the anouncment be on the restructuring, ie promotion or saved from relegation for all the divisions?
Closed Thread