Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 14-02-2024, 23:22   #2296
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Once they get control they’ll just price gouge us worse than Sky or any of the cable operators did since there will be virtually zero regulatory oversight.
Well, they're already doing it and it will get worse, once there are only a few left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Don't worry you've always got the British Broadcasting Corporation. Until the licence fee goes, then you can expect the same crap everywhere.
As someone who doesn't exactly rate the quality of the BBC these days, I have mixed feelings on the licence fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Its not just broadcasting, we're allowing American big business to take over many aspects of our corporate, cultural and sporting economy, with nearly all takeovers being unmitigated disasters for consumers and fans, but that's a subject for a completely different thread.
Oh, I agree, but this isn't the place for that. Otherwise, I'll rant for ages on this.
Old 14-02-2024, 23:50   #2297
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

i'm still not getting adverts on prime?

it renewed on the 5th February for 8.99? no option to go ad free either? Any ideas?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 04:01   #2298
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Any ideas?
Make the most of it while you can ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 05:42   #2299
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Does this work for you? https://arcus-www.amazon.co.uk/gp/he...YJIUGQMY13QQdi

I think they will add more and more ads - and it seems Dolbly picture and audio has been downgraded too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
i'm still not getting adverts on prime?

it renewed on the 5th February for 8.99? no option to go ad free either? Any ideas?
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 12:02   #2300
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

I’ve started buying 4K Blu rays and feel so much better actually holding something for my money. I can watch it when I want and I can share it with my family.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 12:14   #2301
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
I’ve started buying 4K Blu rays and feel so much better actually holding something for my money. I can watch it when I want and I can share it with my family.
I can do that with digital media and my plex server hahaha
Old 15-02-2024, 17:02   #2302
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That cuts both ways. Your ability to sell your content is dented if potential distributors start to doubt you’ll actually deliver what you say you will.

It’s also unlikely ITV would just accept an initial offer, because the producer’s interest is in minimising its financial exposure whilst the distributor’s interest is in talking up how much it could have made by selling the rights on. Sure, it might not get to court, but it would result in lawyers. Lots of lawyers. Much simpler for the producer to negotiate a delay releasing the rights to ITV rather than actually trying to withdraw them.
Total agree
Old 20-02-2024, 00:29   #2303
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Make the most of it while you can ?
haha i will. i click the link and it just takes me to my payment details and then i click edit it justs goes to my card details and nothing else is showing as an option.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 16:15   #2304
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Amazon to Shut Down Freevee (Report)

https://tvline.com/news/amazon-shutt...ce-1235171533/

Oh dear...
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 16:18   #2305
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

The reported strategy
Quote:
But when Amazon introduced advertising to Prime Video in January, the decision threw the fate of Freevee into question. With both services already sharing certain titles, Amazon is essentially hosting a similar slate of ad-supported programming on two separate apps.

This redundancy, combined with several other factors, compelled Amazon to wind down Freevee, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The decision could let Prime Video market itself more clearly as a three-tiered service, with Freevee rebranded as its free, ad-supported version, an ad-supported subscription product and an ad-free premium tier with new perks still to come, according to two people familiar with the strategy.
https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv...unset-freevee/

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 21-02-2024 at 16:45.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 17:08   #2306
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

In fairness, it all seems very speculative with unnamed sources and, what could be, 2+2=5 assumptions. I'm not sure how much sense it makes as a strategy for a streaming business although I can see how it would make things easier for ad sales agencies. Freevee is an AVOD / FAST channel service. All that bringing ads to Prime Video has done is to increase the price of an SVOD service. Offering an ad-supported option to mitigate the price increase, albeit with a reduction in service quality.
Old 21-02-2024, 17:11   #2307
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

Shows have moved though including shows in development and the latest season of Judy Justice is on both Prime Video and Freevee, a new spin Bosch spin off was ordered back in November despite Bosch: Legacy airing on Freevee.

In other Amazon news Lionsgate+ continues via Prime Video Channels for 'a bit longer' after 29th February which is strange.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 21-02-2024 at 17:17.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 18:35   #2308
epsilon
cf.geek

Just to clear the mystery up.

Amazon Insists “No Changes” Coming To Freevee Despite Reports Of Potential Shutdown

https://deadline.com/2024/02/amazon-...ng-1235832878/

Probably several more versions will surface over the next few days as the speculation continues.
Old 21-02-2024, 18:53   #2309
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
Shows have moved though including shows in development and the latest season of Judy Justice is on both Prime Video and Freevee, a new spin Bosch spin off was ordered back in November despite Bosch: Legacy airing on Freevee.

In other Amazon news Lionsgate+ continues via Prime Video Channels for 'a bit longer' after 29th February which is strange.
As you may be aware, Lionsgate is to split into two companies soon. The studio and the streamer. Whether that means Amazon will buy the studio bit, is unknown at the moment, but with its James Bond fronted MGM+ offshoot, I expect all Lionsgate stuff will be on Prime to bolster that.
Old 23-02-2024, 12:10   #2310
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As you may be aware, Lionsgate is to split into two companies soon. The studio and the streamer. Whether that means Amazon will buy the studio bit, is unknown at the moment, but with its James Bond fronted MGM+ offshoot, I expect all Lionsgate stuff will be on Prime to bolster that.
MGM+ is 100% Amazon owned these days. So why would Lionsgate sell its content to MGM+ and not to the highest bidder?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote