Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Services Chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Services Chat

Old 22-01-2013, 21:25   #226
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Sky Services Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Me too! When a new channel launches 99% of the time it's on SKY right from the start. When SKY launch a new product they either give a launch date up front or keep customers updated as things develop.
Well put Chad & that's just the way it should be in my opinion.

VM are infuriating at times when it comes to customer communication!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2013, 09:51   #227
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Me too! When a new channel launches 99% of the time it's on SKY right from the start. When SKY launch a new product they either give a launch date up front or keep customers updated as things develop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Well put Chad & that's just the way it should be in my opinion.

VM are infuriating at times when it comes to customer communication!
I agree with you both
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26   #228
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Is there a way to select which of my boxes I want to connect to & control on the Sky+ iPad app?
Old 03-02-2013, 13:42   #229
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Is there a way to select which of my boxes I want to connect to & control on the Sky+ iPad app?
Yes go into settings then Sky+HD boxes and they should be listed.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:09   #230
Doz007
cf.geek

Sorted it now, cheers MM - I knew that I'd seen the option somewhere.
Old 04-02-2013, 22:12   #231
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ge?INTCMP=SRCH

A decent read about SKY's plans over the next 12 months or so
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41   #232
Doz007
cf.geek

Thanks for posting that Chad, a very good read indeed.

Targeted advertising is going to be very big for Sky over the next couple of years if they implement it correctly.
Old 05-02-2013, 16:30   #233
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree with you it is , the problem is too many devices would probably result in people giving friends their Sky id allowing them to watch movies and sport without subscribing. I use Sky Go on my iPad and iPhone 4S , you can change devices month to month but can only have two registered at once.
No it has not - I have one - never used it ( on PC ). Not sure why my son put it on. In fact no idea what is does. Guess he thought he was being kind. Questions could I send it to my TV & does it show live TV if so think I may know why he did
Old 15-02-2013, 11:13   #234
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for posting that Chad, a very good read indeed.

Targeted advertising is going to be very big for Sky over the next couple of years if they implement it correctly.
More info on targeted advertising ,
Quote:
Sky will rollout AdSmart, allowing UK TV advertisers to personalise ads on linear TV for the first time. Specially targeted ads will be sent to Sky+HD set-top boxes and, based on subscriber information, ads will be inserted into live broadcast streams.
Quote:
This technological advancement potentially propels TV advertising into the modern age, where people are targeted geographically and demographically – previously impossible with TV, but now expected in online and direct marketing.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media-netw...tv-advertising
Old 15-02-2013, 12:33   #235
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
More info on targeted advertising ,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media-netw...tv-advertising
An interesting quote from Nigel Walley, managing director of digital TV consultancy, Decipher:

So with Sky's first-mover advantage in the UK, what will Virgin do? "The difficult truth for Virgin is, it's already launched its version and no one is talking about it," says Walley. "There are targeted ads on Virgin in On Demand. Sky is taking it to broadcast which is technically much harder. It would be a lot easier if they agreed to launch together."
Old 16-02-2013, 00:02   #236
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Not sure about it being a Sky first, Telewest used to insert their own adverts on the Viacom channels during an ad break.

It's clear why Sky have been recently pushing their 'on demand', it's because they have no other way to see in on viewers' habits and having a customer's box hooked up to the internet allows them to secretly store ads on the customers hard drive ready to play when they want it to play. Of course VM doesn't have that problem.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 00:20   #237
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

There is nothing secret about it Sky wrote to customers a while back in the Sky magazine informing them of their plans to start targeted advertising , you can also opt out in 'My Sky' on their website.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/1063028/

Also they don't need to send ads to customers boxes via the Internet , it can be done in the same way showcase content is sent now via satellite.
Old 16-02-2013, 00:28   #238
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
It's clear why Sky have been recently pushing their 'on demand', it's because they have no other way to see in on viewers' habits and having a customer's box hooked up to the internet allows them to secretly store ads on the customers hard drive ready to play when they want it to play. Of course VM doesn't have that problem.
The only problem Virgin have is it's going to take them another 24 to 48 months to get a TiVo box into every TV customers home. Until their 3.8 million or so TV customers are hooked up, targeted adverts is a revenue stream Virgin won't be able to exploit to it's full potential.
Old 16-02-2013, 06:43   #239
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Personally, targeted advertising seems flawed. I rarely buy from any advertisement, generally I search for something I need, or buy something i heard about. But the source is never advertisements, I have a rule to not use ]places that use adverts I compare for best deal. Frugal nature inbred
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:07   #240
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

For anyone that has Sky Go on a Android device DO NOT update to 4.2.2 at moment as Sky Go doesnt work at moment
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote