Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Articles - The Cable Forum Knowledgebase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network Printer

Old 03-12-2005, 23:57   #1
Dar
Inactive

Dar is an unknown quantity at this point
Network Printer

Anyone know how to make a printer work for more than one PC?

I have it connected to my router and everything, but for some reason both PC's don't seem to find it.

Any help!?
Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2005, 00:00   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Network Printer

Are the other PCs using a firewall?

I have a USB printer that I connected to my router Via a print server. I had to install the software on all the PCs. You may have to do this as well.
Old 04-12-2005, 00:01   #3
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Control Panel > Printers - right click, select Sharing and Security
then click "Share this Printer" and it should work.

If it doesn't then go Control Panel > Network connections, right click the connection, go to properties and then make sure File and Printer Sharing is ticked.

If it doesn't work still check your workgroup settings and IP range.

(Which reminds me. Must share new AIO.)

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 00:08   #4
Tuftus

Does the printer (what is it?) have a network port?

Or are you using a network print server?
Old 04-12-2005, 00:46   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I connect my printer to my Pc and then other computers print to it via that PC. Obviously that PC has to be switched on.
If you have a print server connected to the router, you dont need to go via the PC.
As has been said, make sure you allow the IP addresses in your firewall settings so the other PC can see the print server / or other PC acting as the print server.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28   #6
Dar
Inactive

How do I allow my firewalls to let the Printer connection through?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:59   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Can you say what printer you have, does it have a ethernet connector, or does it have a parallel / USB port

It appears that you have connected it to the router what cable are you using is it a straight thru cable or cross-over?

have you installed the printers s/w on each printer? (when I installed my HP 1320 which had only a usb port I connected it to my router via a print server, I then had to install s/w for the print server on each PC to allow it to see the printer then I had to install the printer s/w.)
Old 04-12-2005, 12:01   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

What firewall are you using ?
In Zone Alarm for example, you go to Firewall, and then Add and input the site address / I.P. of the other machine, setting it to "trusted".

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 23:57   #9
Dar
Inactive

Can you say what printer you have, does it have a ethernet connector, or does it have a parallel / USB port

It appears that you have connected it to the router what cable are you using is it a straight thru cable or cross-over?

have you installed the printers s/w on each printer? (when I installed my HP 1320 which had only a usb port I connected it to my router via a print server, I then had to install s/w for the print server on each PC to allow it to see the printer then I had to install the printer s/w.)

I have an HP PSC 2175 All-In-One with a USB port (And a USB port on the router for printers) and the cable is a straight through.
Old 11-12-2005, 20:59   #10
Dar
Inactive

Whoops.

Only read the last line that I wrote.
Old 11-12-2005, 21:22   #11
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Sure the USB port's for printers? they're usually for configuring the router via usb pens, etc etc.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 21:24   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Whoops.

Only read the last line that I wrote.
What router do you have (Make & Model)?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 21:47   #13
Dar
Inactive

SAFECOM 4-Port Cable/DSL Broadband Router
Old 11-12-2005, 22:16   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Assuming it's this one, try the following:

Windows has support for TCP/IP network printing built in as standard. To enable it, do the following.

If the printer is not installed, add it using the "Add printer" wizard.

Click "Ports", then "Add port".

Windows will display a list of available port types. Select "Standard TCP/IP port". Follow the instructions on the wizard that follows. Type the IP address of the printer into the "Printer name or IP address" box. Windows will fill in the port name correctly.

If windows asks you for the kind of network card (note this is the printer server, not your own network card), select "Generic" and click "Next".

You can now select this IP in the Ports dialog box.

Not sure, however, if your printer will work as it is an all in one printer. If it does, I doubt the scanner part will.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 21:19   #15
Dar
Inactive

When you said 'If the printer is not installed, click add printer', What port do I select for it to find it?
It doesn't automatically find it.