Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?
View Poll Results: Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?
Yes 25 58.14%
No 2 4.65%
Do not care 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 17:23   #46
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Do the Virgin Media UK need an "tidy up"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's the Govt. who got rid of the free licence fee. It was funded by the Govt. who withdrew the funding. The alternative was cutting services and channels. Tbh can't see anything wrong with affluent pensioners paying, they watch TV more than anyone else.
The government did not withdraw funding, they transferred responsibility for it to the BBC.

The BBC has decided that rather than reduce their high salaries and create efficiencies, they would rather choose to concentrate on soft targets to allow them to carry on regardless. Only a subscription model will stop the waste at the Beeb.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well worth £150..
Not so if you don't use it. £150 for naff all..
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2020, 17:27   #47
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well that is your opinion but l very much beg to differ...
Old 01-09-2020, 17:30   #48
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
With Broadcasting going HD only or closing channels down is the time right for Virgin to do some tidy up?

You can see it with the following channels and areas.

214. DMAX +1
216. Blaze
222. C&I +1
226. Drama +1

536. Racing TV HD
544. LFC HD
546. Box Nation
551. Premier Sports 1 HD

But Virgin has only got two free channels left before the shopping channels start at channel 740. With the Kids channels having only 23 channels out of 39 EPG slots.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

This is just an fun poll so what is your views on Virgin Media UK's hit or miss EPG Channels numbers.
Personally, I don't see the point in constantly changing the channel numbers. You can find the programme you are looking for from the EPG relatively easily. I don't really care what numbers they give them.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well that is your opinion but l very much beg to differ...
So you think it is worth £150 per year if you don't use it? How curious (or maybe you didn't read my post properly!).
Old 01-09-2020, 18:27   #49
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The government did not withdraw funding, they transferred responsibility for it to the BBC.

Yes, well, that's a another way of putting it !
Old 01-09-2020, 18:29   #50
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I fund many things through my taxes that I'll never use. Others in turn with be paying for things I may use, if not now then at least in the future, that they themselves may not need. Scale of payment helps subsidise things for everyone.
Old 01-09-2020, 18:35   #51
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

How much are you paying VM each year, for mostly repeats, a lot of it stuff the BBC made in the first place?

New innovative British programmes, some of them commercial broadcasters wouldn't take a risk with, needs to be funded. Sky do a little, VM.sod all. Be careful what you wish for or it will be loads more of those UKTV type channels which I know you love
Old 01-09-2020, 18:42   #52
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

That’s £150 a year those plucky upstarts at Amazon or Netflix could hoover up, along with talent, content, and maybe even kill off linear television dontcha know?
Old 01-09-2020, 19:34   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
How much are you paying VM each year, for mostly repeats, a lot of it stuff the BBC made in the first place?

New innovative British programmes, some of them commercial broadcasters wouldn't take a risk with, needs to be funded. Sky do a little, VM.sod all. Be careful what you wish for or it will be loads more of those UKTV type channels which I know you love
Yes, I do, but I'm not speaking for myself here. I am simply drawing attention to the unfairness of some people paying for an entertainment service they don't use.

I would be happy to pay a sub for the Beeb, personally.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That’s £150 a year those plucky upstarts at Amazon or Netflix could hoover up, along with talent, content, and maybe even kill off linear television dontcha know?
Nobody here is discussing terminating the BBC.
Old 01-09-2020, 20:51   #54
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I must have misunderstood your post:

Quote:
Only a subscription model will stop the waste at the Beeb.
More money in the pot for streamers etc. Weaker linear television. It flows through that your irrational aspiration to reduce consumer choice is assisted by a weakened BBC.
Old 01-09-2020, 20:57   #55
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I must have misunderstood your post:

More money in the pot for streamers etc. Weaker linear television. It flows through that your irrational aspiration to reduce consumer choice is assisted by a weakened BBC.
I don’t get where you are coming from here, jfman. If the BBC offered a TV service with commercials and a world-wide streaming service with a subscription, why would it be weakened?

What is in that post that you did not understand?
Old 01-09-2020, 21:28   #56
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I don’t get where you are coming from here, jfman. If the BBC offered a TV service with commercials and a world-wide streaming service with a subscription, why would it be weakened?

What is in that post that you did not understand?
Because it’d get fewer than 23 million subscribers in the UK, plus weaken an already fragile market for selling commercials.

I understand what you are saying, it just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.
Old 01-09-2020, 22:16   #57
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It seems the original, fairly technical reason for starting this thread has been exhausted. As we are discussing the TV licence, the BBC and streaming providers in multiple other locations there’s really no need to go over the same ground here.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread