Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 and Bluetooth

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 and Bluetooth

Old 25-08-2020, 13:57   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V6 and Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
My TV is a five-year-old B&O Beovision 11 and although it has a bewildering array of HDMI, Ethernet, USB and other connections at the back I am sure it does not have Bluetooth. That's why I think I might need a dongle.
With that TV you actually have some interesting options. Found this which is worth a read - it uses the built in 'Speaker Group' settings to define a Headphone output option.

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/13476.aspx
Old 25-08-2020, 14:35   #17
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
With that TV you actually have some interesting options. Found this which is worth a read - it uses the built in 'Speaker Group' settings to define a Headphone output option.

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/13476.aspx
Thanks, Ben. When you buy a B&O TV they send a couple of technicians with it to install and set it all up. At the back of the TV there are many connections - most of them propriety to B&O - including speaker groups. It's baffling to a mere mortal such as myself. Even the remote control has a tiny screen with access to layer upon layer of options. Being a plug-and-play sort of person I would not know where to start.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:23   #18
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I've found Bluetooth dongles work quite well, admittedly not tried one plugged into the V6 though, only my TV.

I picked one up from Amazon years ago, had a built in battery charged by USB and plugged into a 3.5mm audio jack. Battery wasn't great but as already discussd, you could use the USB port on the V6 to power it permanently.

Most TV's have their 3.5mm audio jack at the back so can be fiddly to keep connecting if not required all the time, especially if wall mounted. Therefore plugging into the V6 may be easier.

As a tester you could always plug a regular wired set of headphones into the V6 and see what happens. If that works as expected then no reason why a dongle wouldn't do the trick
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:47   #19
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I've found Bluetooth dongles work quite well, admittedly not tried one plugged into the V6 though, only my TV.

I picked one up from Amazon years ago, had a built in battery charged by USB and plugged into a 3.5mm audio jack. Battery wasn't great but as already discussd, you could use the USB port on the V6 to power it permanently.

Most TV's have their 3.5mm audio jack at the back so can be fiddly to keep connecting if not required all the time, especially if wall mounted. Therefore plugging into the V6 may be easier.

As a tester you could always plug a regular wired set of headphones into the V6 and see what happens. If that works as expected then no reason why a dongle wouldn't do the trick
Thanks, I will try that before taking it further and investing in a dongle.
Old 26-08-2020, 14:10   #20
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

You can plug headphones directly into the V6, but it's "line level" so the volume is a bit low on most headphones. And you don't have any control over the volume.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:59   #21
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You can plug headphones directly into the V6, but it's "line level" so the volume is a bit low on most headphones. And you don't have any control over the volume.
Good to know. Glad mine have adjustable volume via V6's optical.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 15:54   #22
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

OK, I plugged some wired headphones into the standard jack socket at the rear of the V6. The sound from the TV speaker remained on but there was a noticeable delay in the sound through the headphones and lipsync problems as a result. It was a very short delay but enough to spoil anything being watched. I don't know if connecting via the D Audio socket (is this the same as Optical?) would fix this.

There is no common-or-garden jack socket on the TV. I assume you can only connect up B&O headphones to it via one of their proprietary sockets.
Old 26-08-2020, 16:03   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There is no common-or-garden jack socket on the TV. I assume you can only connect up B&O headphones to it via one of their proprietary sockets.
You need this apparently

https://soundsheavenly.com/televisio...#/9-length-18m
Old 26-08-2020, 16:17   #24
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Nice find. Thanks. My idea was to use Bluetooth headphones so I would still need a dongle of some kind.
Old 26-08-2020, 17:13   #25
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
OK, I plugged some wired headphones into the standard jack socket at the rear of the V6. The sound from the TV speaker remained on but there was a noticeable delay in the sound through the headphones and lipsync problems as a result. It was a very short delay but enough to spoil anything being watched. I don't know if connecting via the D Audio socket (is this the same as Optical?) would fix this.
Are you sure the delay was in the sound? I would expect the sound to be ahead as the TV takes a while to display the picture. Often you can change the TV picture settings to reduce the delay - experiment with film and game mode; also the contrast.

The "D" socket is optical, but I'd expect the timing to be the same as the jack socket, or maybe even earlier.
Old 26-08-2020, 22:18   #26
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

i was literally about to ask this question. i keep people up in my house as i'm a night owl. i have a samsung tv from around 2011. Only two HDMI sockets sadly all used and the v6. what are the options for me? i've got sony wireless headphones and have bought a cheap dongle before which did nothing....

can anyone help so i dont have to listen to tv at volume 3 or 4 all night? haha thanks
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 22:36   #27
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
i was literally about to ask this question. i keep people up in my house as i'm a night owl. i have a samsung tv from around 2011. Only two HDMI sockets sadly all used and the v6. what are the options for me? i've got sony wireless headphones and have bought a cheap dongle before which did nothing....

can anyone help so i dont have to listen to tv at volume 3 or 4 all night? haha thanks
Post the model of Sony headphones Vince. We can be more specific that way
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 23:36   #28
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Post the model of Sony headphones Vince. We can be more specific that way
Sony WH-CH500 Wireless Bluetooth NFC On-Ear Headphones with 20 hours Battery Life - Blue

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sams...0090625155.htm - thats my tv too! currently HDMI cable with ps4 and v6.

i need a new tv to be honest but i have a 32 inch tv and apparently there is no point getting another tv that size as it wont be proper 4k

haha thanks for any advice angus!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 07:11   #29
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Are you sure the delay was in the sound? I would expect the sound to be ahead as the TV takes a while to display the picture. Often you can change the TV picture settings to reduce the delay - experiment with film and game mode; also the contrast.

The "D" socket is optical, but I'd expect the timing to be the same as the jack socket, or maybe even earlier.
It could have been the other way around. The net effect was like a pronounced echo with the TV audio lagging behind that through the headphones - or vice versa.

I didn't foresee it being this complicated to pair my Bluetooth headphones up with the V6 or TV. I was hoping for a plug and play solution or a simple and inexpensive dongle. And then there is the factor of latency which, I understand, is a frequent problem with Bluetooth headphones designed for listening to music where latency isn't a problem. I'm rapidly going off the whole idea.
Old 27-08-2020, 09:43   #30
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Subtitles?

Or Google for "Audio Bluetooth Transmitter". Anything with a 3.5mm jack plug ill plug into the back of the V6, or you could connect via the phono "audio out" sockets on the back of your TV.