Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 10-09-2020, 06:58   #1261
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
I notice when doing a search on the V6 for some Sky Originals they are marked as UHD but they do say HD on the info bar.

Example

Code 404
The Twilight Zone

A few movies on Sky Cinema has this also

Hopefully a sign
Last night the info bar on the Home screen was advertising the Liverpool v Leeds match in UHD on the Virgin ULTRA HD Channel 999 for this Sat 12th at 5.30pm.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41   #1262
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Last night the info bar on the Home screen was advertising the Liverpool v Leeds match in UHD on the Virgin ULTRA HD Channel 999 for this Sat 12th at 5.30pm.
This morning its just advertising the match in HD on the info bar on the Home screen.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:55   #1263
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
This morning its just advertising the match in HD on the info bar on the Home screen.
Indeed, the UHD advert last night was all in red. They've obviously switched it overnight to just say HD on the normal Sky Sports channel now, and there is nothing listed on 999 in the epg either. Maybe there was some midnight hour negotiations still going on with Sky and VM jumped the gun? But it WAS there.
Very strange.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:39   #1264
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Is it really such a big deal? HD imo is perfectly fine for sport.
UHD is made for sport - HD is perfectly fine for Films and general programming
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:24   #1265
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I love sport, but for me it's the other way around. Films in particular can have so much going on on the screen, and often put so much effort into adding all the small flourishes, things you can miss with lower resolutions. Nature documentaries arguably benefit the most of the real life, non-SFX programming, they certainly get used to sell the picture detail in shops.

The sports that have benefitted from HD the most, in my experience, are tennis, golf and cycling, but HD is enough for the wide variety of sports I watch. I find frame rate more important, and that's only really an issue when it comes to streaming. I've had to stream my football club's matches and mirror them to my TV over the last month or two and the smoothness, or lack thereof, was noticeable even though the picture quality was fine.

I'm getting off topic though, and everyone's preferences and entertainment priorities are different.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:07   #1266
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I hope it happens but as with all things Virgin I’m not optimistic...
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:29   #1267
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I hope it happens but as with all things Virgin I’m not optimistic...
l have to sadly agree with your sentiments.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:55   #1268
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed, the UHD advert last night was all in red. They've obviously switched it overnight to just say HD on the normal Sky Sports channel now, and there is nothing listed on 999 in the epg either. Maybe there was some midnight hour negotiations still going on with Sky and VM jumped the gun? But it WAS there.
Very strange.
The deal was done last year, so I doubt there were any more negotiations at this late stage. I think they are just waiting for the go-ahead now.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
But UHD is better overall with a bigger screen. It doesn't matter what you are watching.

The smaller the screen, the less noticeable the difference is.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 13:24   #1269
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
I notice when doing a search on the V6 for some Sky Originals they are marked as UHD but they do say HD on the info bar.

Example

Code 404
The Twilight Zone

A few movies on Sky Cinema has this also

Hopefully a sign
Is it still now?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 13:27   #1270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Isn't the first UHD match covered by Sky on Friday 11th? That, to my mind, would be the most appropriate time to get Sky UHD on Virgin Media.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 13:41   #1271
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The deal was done last year, so I doubt there were any more negotiations at this late stage. I think they are just waiting for the go-ahead now.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

But UHD is better overall with a bigger screen. It doesn't matter what you are watching.

The smaller the screen, the less noticeable the difference is.
That's totally incorrect. If all other variables are the same, 4k is 4k. It doesn't magically get better because the screen is bigger. Screen size has nothing to do with resolution alone, it's screen size and viewing distance that matters. 4k at 24" is just as good as it is at 80" if both are viewed at the correct distance.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 14:06   #1272
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
Is it still now?
Yes still comes up as UHD on the search but not on the info when its clicked
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 14:08   #1273
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

In fairness to Old Boy, which I wouldn’t ordinarily do, I’m sure he means for the average viewer at average distance with the telly over in the corner or on the wall.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 14:19   #1274
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
In fairness to Old Boy, which I wouldn’t ordinarily do, I’m sure he means for the average viewer at average distance with the telly over in the corner or on the wall.
Which has so many variables and outcomes that it's pointless meaning that by saying "
The smaller the screen, the less noticeable the difference is." Which is incorrect.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 16:13   #1275
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Isn't the first UHD match covered by Sky on Friday 11th? That, to my mind, would be the most appropriate time to get Sky UHD on Virgin Media.
No - the first premiership mTch of the season is on Saturday 12th September
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote