Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Backlash as BBC teaches NINE year olds there is 100 Genders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Backlash as BBC teaches NINE year olds there is 100 Genders

Old 28-02-2021, 10:33   #151
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Backlash as BBC teaches NINE year olds there is 100 Genders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I must say this is all incredibly fascinating....

Just be nice to each other is never a bad start. Gender(s) are irrelevant in comparison and a matter for you alone.
That's easy for you/them/their/him/her/ms/Mr/none/ to say but will it be enough.
Old 28-02-2021, 11:29   #152
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Heard something the other day which makes sense. The right have largely won the economic arguments (market economy) and the left have largely won the cultural arguments (equality, inclusion, etc).
What use can be made of that information when taken together?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:45   #153
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What use can be made of that information when taken together?
Make the right messages on culture wars to keep the right-of-centre happy. You can't gain votes by pushing the market economy any more as no one is proposing otherwise, so culture wars is your sweet spot.

Do a small bit of old-fashioned state intervention on industry to keep the left-of-centre happy whilst keeping a largely market economy.

With such an approach, your electoral chances are increased.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 28-02-2021 at 12:55.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:12   #154
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Just be nice to each other is never a bad start. Gender(s) are irrelevant in comparison and a matter for you alone.
Good advice that I agree with, but some want to make it matter for everyone else, and/or get very offended if you don’t bend to their will.
Old 28-02-2021, 19:05   #155
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Being polite to others, and using the terms they prefer, is a long way from bending to someone’s will...

ymmv
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 19:20   #156
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Being polite to others, and using the terms they prefer, is a long way from bending to someone’s will...

ymmv
Ymmv, not an abbreviation I was familiar with, and not one that I assign any relevance to.

I have chosen not to participate in the culture war or any post-modernist machinations.........because they are illogical and a waste of my valuable time.

I remain polite.
Old 28-02-2021, 19:23   #157
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:

ymmv
Nope it'll be polite, he or she, him or her, anything other it's their them they, or themselves problem.
Old 28-02-2021, 23:31   #158
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Only a problem if you think it is...

---------- Post added at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ymmv, not an abbreviation I was familiar with, and not one that I assign any relevance to.

I have chosen not to participate in the culture war or any post-modernist machinations.........because they are illogical and a waste of my valuable time.

I remain polite.
Your postings on the subject would evidence otherwise...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:41   #159
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

ymmv
Yep it would seem so but sometimes one can find oneself under attack for not obeying a person's preferred term of address when you have no idea what that form of address is..because they haven't informed you what they prefer.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:41   #160
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Yep it would seem so but sometimes one can find oneself under attack for not obeying a person's preferred term of address when you have no idea what that form of address is..because they haven't informed you what they prefer.
Has this ever happened to you? I've been corrected on a personal pronoun use before but I didn't think of myself as being under attack.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:13   #161
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There's a huge difference between accepted usage and forced usage through the woke campaign.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:30   #162
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There's a huge difference between accepted usage and forced usage through the woke campaign.
Can you give me an example of where you've had usage forced upon you by this mysterious woke campaign?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03   #163
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Has this ever happened to you? I've been corrected on a personal pronoun use before but I didn't think of myself as being under attack.
Yes or I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:16   #164
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Many years ago I was accused of degendering someone when I referred to them as "they". This was on an anonymous forum with no actually indication of what gender they were. I think it was to provoke a response so I just ignored it.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24   #165
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Yes or I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Are you able to share the context? I appreciate that you may prefer not to.

The tricky thing I find is that ten years ago, you could work someone's pronouns out from their name, although some names could be both male and female. Now, unless you check beforehand on their Twitter, bio etc, you can't. Fine if you have that information but if it's someone in an audience, it's harder.