Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 13:08   #2746
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
No change there then.
So why not give me an explanation?
Old 10-01-2021, 13:14   #2747
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Do you mean like there was on the BBC news yesterday?

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

The two don’t have to be interlinked.

I don’t think there is a conspiracy, but the government have an issue with population adherence therefore it suits to keep them scared, scared enough to stay at home.
Old 10-01-2021, 13:20   #2748
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Up to now, I still don't know of anyone in family, friends or work that have been hospitalised by the virus.

I know of people at work who have taken time off (with pay) after testing positive (asymptomatic)*, or have been in contact with those who have tested positive.

I do however, hear lots of gossip about who has what where and when, including the death of a chap at the end of our road, who I saw miraculously walking his dog later that day.

I'm not a Covid denier, I just happen to not live in a large city, which I think makes a huge difference on your experience of it.

*at a time when only those displaying symptoms were supposedly tested.
Old 10-01-2021, 13:54   #2749
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Up to now, I still don't know of anyone in family, friends or work that have been hospitalised by the virus.

I know of people at work who have taken time off (with pay) after testing positive (asymptomatic)*, or have been in contact with those who have tested positive.

I do however, hear lots of gossip about who has what where and when, including the death of a chap at the end of our road, who I saw miraculously walking his dog later that day.

I'm not a Covid denier, I just happen to not live in a large city, which I think makes a huge difference on your experience of it.

*at a time when only those displaying symptoms were supposedly tested.
Likewise, but as I’ve mentioned on here before I only know of two people that have had it and that was in March 2020.

Mrs Pierres friend is a teacher in Bradford and it’s a different story over there, the large Asian population has been hit very hard with nearly all children in her school losing a family member.

So I think where you are makes a massive difference to your experience.
Old 10-01-2021, 14:15   #2750
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
The Manchester Evening News has published an article to-day written by David Oliver who is an experienced NHS Consultant Physician and medical writer from Manchester.

It's quite a long article but having closely followed this thread from its first post through to the this morning's posts I I have a good idea which of oiur members will bother to read it and which will dismiss it immediatly because for various reasons they consider that what they are being told is either downright lies meant o scare the "poor gulible fools who cower away behind the barracades" or the "I know better than all the experts and I refuse to accept that there is a problem or worse still the " well if I don't actually know any one who died and everyone I know who got wasn't that ill" so why do I have follow any guidelines.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s-who-19584621
The article is a quality argument that should actually go into a national quality newspaper (if not all).

I have, in the past, been a "let it rip" advocate. I no longer need to be of that persuasion because it is "ripping" and when you combine this with lockdown and vaccination, then we ought to be on an end game path.

The economy, let alone people's mental health, would not have withstood the 1 year + waiting game for the vaccine by way of a rigidly enforce lockdown.

One more thing to say - the Guvmin & press etc are awfully quiet about the facts around infection. Who and how? Clusters by postcode? Somebody must be doing the analysis.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 10-01-2021, 15:47   #2751
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Likewise, but as I’ve mentioned on here before I only know of two people that have had it and that was in March 2020.

Mrs Pierres friend is a teacher in Bradford and it’s a different story over there, the large Asian population has been hit very hard with nearly all children in her school losing a family member.

So I think where you are makes a massive difference to your experience.
This lengthy but very interesting read in the (gritted teeth) Guardian is well worth a look:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...d-combat-covid

Despite institutional resistance to properly funded studies the evidence for vitamin D supplements in reducing Covid-19 mortality is mounting. Vitamin D deficiency is a particular winter problem above 40° latitude and especially those living at these latitudes with darker skin pigmentation as this makes natural synthesis of vitamin D more difficult.

Last edited by Chris; 10-01-2021 at 15:51.
Old 10-01-2021, 16:15   #2752
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I can't quarrel with the general case for Vitamin D supplements in sunlight deficient countries.

The Guardian article doesn't say much about studies in relation to CV being carried out elsewhere in the world, which would have justified the article's length. Still, a UK initiative on exactly what Vitamin D can do seems sensible.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 10-01-2021, 16:30   #2753
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I can't quarrel with the general case for Vitamin D supplements in sunlight deficient countries.

The Guardian article doesn't say much about studies in relation to CV being carried out elsewhere in the world, which would have justified the article's length. Still, a UK initiative on exactly what Vitamin D can do seems sensible.
The link between Vitamin D and Covid-19 is covered in the following article, which I am sure I posted a link to in late December, which also gives details of some of the trials and studies that have been done.

https://healthinsightuk.org/2020/10/...covid-fighter/
Old 10-01-2021, 16:35   #2754
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I wonder if that means that those who were slathering themselves with SPF50 all last summer are more likely to go down with covid?
Old 10-01-2021, 17:34   #2755
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

No social distancing taking place in Crosby as hundreds of football fans throng on the streets.

Old 10-01-2021, 17:38   #2756
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's because the Spurs team bus took the dock road exit out of the Mersey Tunnel and just kept driving
Old 10-01-2021, 17:45   #2757
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
No social distancing taking place in Crosby as hundreds of football fans throng on the streets.

My home town team. I used to go there every once in a while (usually when Everton reserves were playing against them, or in pre-season friendlies)

Dream result is for Marine to win and tie Everton in the next round.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:47   #2758
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

VitD - I am participating in the CovitD survey and my Vit D was low so have been given 6 month supplement - must be working no sign of Covid yet :P

I've had reports of how some store keepers in some areas are keeping open by converting their shops into food stores that also stock whatever they want to sell. This was less recent so I think should be being dealt with by now.

Hoping I can still travel to my dental appointment later this week and in 2 weeks for followup. Have a tooth that is fracturing needing a crown. Dentist is still open and I've been with practice over 30 years paying into their scheme. Can't see much additional risk in driving in my metal box for hour or so and entering controlled environment and driving in my metal box for 15 mins and entering controlled environment. Better for me to get it sorted BEFORE it breaks up and I need to find emergency treatment somewhere.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:04   #2759
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Private Eye have printed a spoof article, written as if Christopher Hitchens (an avid anti-lockdowner and downplayer of the impact of COVID) was writing articles in 1940...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5B647F26-544A-4664-A502-CC4F01C74EC9.jpeg (152.2 KB, 93 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:13   #2760
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Private Eye have printed a spoof article, written as if Christopher Hitchens (an avid anti-lockdowner and downplayer of the impact of COVID) was writing articles in 1940...

Never been a fan or Private Eye, I see I'm not missing much.