Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Simplification required

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Simplification required

Old 25-12-2018, 15:46   #1
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough
Simplification required

Another topic that doesn't fit in very well with General IT...

Radio reception round here is poor. Only solution I found was to pay for a SECOND Tivo box which I use exclusively as a Radio device - programming, recording, playing back, etc. Radio reception via cable is of course excellent.

But it is physically cumbersome, and I was wondering whether I could get a smaller central unit. This is what I've got in my kitchen (where we use the radio most).

A Tivo Box.
A 19" TV to monitor what's going on
A big old Sony amp
Separate Speakers (TV speakers being crap)
plus (as it happens) a big old Sony CD player

So, I have to have cable going in to the Tivo;
I have to have something (HDMI) coming out of the Tivo into the television;
I have to have something (simple headphone out socket) coming out of the television to take sound to the speaker system;
I 'have' to have RCA input into the amp from the CD player.

I would like to simplify this.

It's not so much for me, as I'm happy enough, but supposing I was ill (dead even), my partner would have problems with all the connections...

Or is this too soon after Christmas dinner to think about?

Allen.
stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2018, 16:08   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Simplification required

I think by then you'd have upgraded to a newer amp/av where everything is HDMI, then it's just a case of using a bit of common sense.

I take the amp is a music amp and not an AV amp. It also depends on the age of the equipment. But it does looks like you've got it right as it is.

Otherwise if you use an AV it is, all speaker to AV, Tivo to AV, CD/DVD/Bluray/etc to AV, then AV to TV.
Old 25-12-2018, 16:32   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I gifted my wife a radio today: FM, DAB, DAB+, but most importantly, internet radio connected via our home wifi. So many stations preloaded, and countless others you can access by entering the site address.

So her old LW radio is now defunct and we won't be plagued in this home by her listening to French radio stations with all the pops, whistles, fading, and loud interference noise whenever the microwave oven is in use.

And this new one sounds great! Plus she can plug in her CD Walkman, USB sticks full of music, or stream from her phone via bluetooth.

https://majorityonline.co.uk/products/pembroke/

She has now learned to listen online using https://www.mediayou.net/web/

Last edited by Taf; 25-12-2018 at 16:35.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 17:11   #4
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough

Thanks peanut, taff.

No (peanut) it’s all old gear the Sonys are 1990s.

Taf - can you program that radio? It’s one of the benefits of using a Tivo.

A
Old 25-12-2018, 19:07   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Program as in record? No. But program as in set up other stations that are not included in the inbuilt app, yes.

The missus is loving the remote control, and is setting one of the alarms to wake her up to French news in the morning.

I paid under £80 on the official a couple of months ago. The ones on the official site are now £180!!! But I just spotted some on ebay for £49.95. Whether they will have the same 3 year warranty isn't clear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Majority-...~sfp:rk:5:pf:0
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 19:43   #6
stripes
cf.addict

Yes program as in advance recording. Some DAB machines have the function, but it’s the reception quality I’m after, hence cable. Is there an alternative?
Old 25-12-2018, 21:31   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Another topic that doesn't fit in very well with General IT...

Radio reception round here is poor. Only solution I found was to pay for a SECOND Tivo box which I use exclusively as a Radio device - programming, recording, playing back, etc. Radio reception via cable is of course excellent.

But it is physically cumbersome, and I was wondering whether I could get a smaller central unit. This is what I've got in my kitchen (where we use the radio most).

A Tivo Box.
A 19" TV to monitor what's going on
A big old Sony amp
Separate Speakers (TV speakers being crap)
plus (as it happens) a big old Sony CD player

So, I have to have cable going in to the Tivo;
I have to have something (HDMI) coming out of the Tivo into the television;
I have to have something (simple headphone out socket) coming out of the television to take sound to the speaker system;
I 'have' to have RCA input into the amp from the CD player.

I would like to simplify this.

It's not so much for me, as I'm happy enough, but supposing I was ill (dead even), my partner would have problems with all the connections...

Or is this too soon after Christmas dinner to think about?

Allen.
So, (and correct me if wrong) your partner is going to worried about connections of equipment if/when you die.

I suggest you get a life.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 21:35   #8
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

What would women do without us men eh.....
Old 26-12-2018, 14:38   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Buy something like a Amazon Echo Show and install the TuneIn radio Skill.
Old 26-12-2018, 16:06   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Off topic nonsense removed.

Seriously people, grow up.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 20:29   #11
stripes
cf.addict

paul M. You missed a bit I suggest you get a life.

Allen