Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why promise something you can't keep?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Why promise something you can't keep?

Old 23-12-2017, 17:15   #1
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon
Why promise something you can't keep?

I am seriously getting more and more angry with Virgin Mobile. Obviously, as my Nan died in October I can't do anything with my phone. I have been promised callback after callback to get the mobile put into my name, but every single time they don't bother. As I now can't even use the phone to make phone calls unless I have it on loudspeaker (and at work I don't want people knowing my personal business), I want to have it in my name so I can get rid of it and upgrade. However, I can't do that because they won't call me back.

Can I send a letter into them, and say because of XYZ issues I want the contract cancelled? I'm assuming it would be like her TV package, etc the cancellation would happen within 24 hours of them getting the notice. Or do I call them up and say I want to cancel the contract because of XYZ issues?
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2017, 17:28   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Why promise something you can't keep?

Um, so "your" phone was in her name ?

Why dont you just cancel it and get your own ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 17:44   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Can't you just stop paying it and get your own. Sadly your nan passed away but that means it will be her debt
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 17:57   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Can't you just stop paying it and get your own. Sadly your nan passed away but that means it will be her debt
Debt can be against an address as well as an individual (on the credit checking agencies), so if he is still resident there, that could be an issue.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 19:00   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
I am seriously getting more and more angry with Virgin Mobile. Obviously, as my Nan died in October I can't do anything with my phone. I have been promised callback after callback to get the mobile put into my name, but every single time they don't bother. As I now can't even use the phone to make phone calls unless I have it on loudspeaker (and at work I don't want people knowing my personal business), I want to have it in my name so I can get rid of it and upgrade. However, I can't do that because they won't call me back.

Can I send a letter into them, and say because of XYZ issues I want the contract cancelled? I'm assuming it would be like her TV package, etc the cancellation would happen within 24 hours of them getting the notice. Or do I call them up and say I want to cancel the contract because of XYZ issues?
Just to warn you, if they're anything like the TV side of VM they'll want to make a meal out of reporting a death, including wanting a copy of of the death certificate.

This is what they did to me when I reported a death, every other organisation contacted was kind and helpful.

I would advise you not to do it via the foreign call centre, but I don't think I've ever had any UK based staff answer the phone. Hopefully they won't start being idiotic with you and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 21:44   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
...... they'll want to make a meal out of reporting a death, including wanting a copy of of the death certificate.
Errrr, requiring proof is not "making a meal out of it".

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 23:32   #7
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Pretty standard asking for proof as the bank account that was set up for my youngest son by my Mum and naturally this needed to be signed over to me and that is it just sorted now. It is upsetting but I found the building society to show the up most respect in this matter. I have now signed this account over to my son with the understanding he does not get his bank book until he is 21.

My father wanted the account to be transferred to him but on my eldest son's advice he said no get it in your name now, which I did
Old 24-12-2017, 00:39   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Errrr, requiring proof is not "making a meal out of it".
Indeed when my Father died i had to produce the death certificate to a few different company's as proof when dealing with his affairs Including British Gas, BT, Sky and his bank. I agree its not making a meal of it at all.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 01:49   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, they refused to close his account until they had proof of his death, none of the others eg Council Tax, utilities, benefits etc wanted sight of the death certificate.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-12-2017 at 01:53.
Old 24-12-2017, 10:56   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Richard,if that is your experience then many have not been doing their job.
One of the main purposes of a death certificate is for an executor to prove that the person has, in fact, died. People lie.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:10   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

After VM wanted a copy of the death certificate, I started asking future organisations that I contacted if they also needed one whilst I was at it. Some said that this wouldn't be necessary and offered their condolences and a fair few said that they would check directly with the registrar to save me going to any more trouble at a difficult time. VM focused more on the fact that he was still in a contract!!

Just seems that VM would rather put bereaved people out rather than take their word for it or verify the death themselves.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-12-2017 at 11:15.
Old 24-12-2017, 11:42   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
After VM wanted a copy of the death certificate, I started asking future organisations that I contacted if they also needed one whilst I was at it. Some said that this wouldn't be necessary and offered their condolences and a fair few said that they would check directly with the registrar to save me going to any more trouble at a difficult time. VM focused more on the fact that he was still in a contract!!

Just seems that VM would rather put bereaved people out rather than take their word for it or verify the death themselves.
Would there not be a data protection issue with that. Would the registrar give that information out to anyone who contacted them?

Old 24-12-2017, 12:18   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Would there not be a data protection issue with that. Would the registrar give that information out to anyone who contacted them?
No, the register of births, deaths and marriage is public knowledge.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:20   #14
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
No, the register of births, deaths and marriage is public knowledge.

Old 24-12-2017, 12:31   #15
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, they refused to close his account until they had proof of his death, none of the others eg Council Tax, utilities, benefits etc wanted sight of the death certificate.
When my parents died as part of registering the death the registry office offered the 'Tel Us Once' service, so this could be why certain organisations didn't need sight of the certificate.

https://bereavementadvice.org/topics...s-once-service

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote