Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to access email accounts on desktop?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

How to access email accounts on desktop?

Old 17-01-2020, 15:16   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: How to access email accounts on desktop?

The good thing is these days is most desktop email clients and email services will default to IMAP, so it's a synchronised copy on your computer from the server, rather than the old POP experience which is a local copy downloaded only to your desktop.

So a desktop email client is now no different than an email app on a mobile device.
Old 17-01-2020, 16:55   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Each to their own.
Old 17-01-2020, 19:17   #18
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Question? is it really necessary to have an email client on one's PC?
Yes.

I have multiple email accounts and accessing them all by browser would be a royal pain.

I can also access my [existing] emails when the network is down.

Printing also works better.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The good thing is these days is most desktop email clients and email services will default to IMAP, so it's a synchronised copy on your computer from the server, rather than the old POP experience which is a local copy downloaded only to your desktop.
Not true with VM.
I pull them using POP, but they remain on the server as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 20:56   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Not true with VM.
I pull them using POP, but they remain on the server as well.
Yes, although that's not standard POP behaviour

When VM moved their mail service to Google, that then followed Google's version of POP which Gmail still does - https://www.limilabs.com/blog/gmail-pop3-behavior

So as that then by default built up an archive of mail in the inbox on the server, when VM moved to their own solution they couldn't turn on the standard POP deletion commands and follow the email client as there was a risk that it would delete the archive that customers expected to see.

So at present that amended POP behaviour still applies.

Ideally VM will change it back to align to POP standards, but it's going to be tricky thing to do without disruption.