Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2019, 11:21   #6646
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to be patronising! But I do think there comes a point when many of us no longer want to see films like this. They are designed for a younger audience but they put stuff in there that adults will also appreciate, to encourage them to bring their kids to watch the films!

I do agree that the quality of this material can be very good, but it is also true to say that people can grow out of it.
Lose interest in, yes, “grow out of” ... no. If it has anything to do with age, it’s likely down to the rigidity of thinking that more often afflicts older people than younger (though by no means exclusively). In the case of complex, multi-layered sci-fi/fantasy of the kind being made for Disney by Lucasfilm and Marvel, it is certainly the case that a lack of imagination would hinder their enjoyment.
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2019, 13:01   #6647
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Lose interest in, yes, “grow out of” ... no. If it has anything to do with age, it’s likely down to the rigidity of thinking that more often afflicts older people than younger (though by no means exclusively). In the case of complex, multi-layered sci-fi/fantasy of the kind being made for Disney by Lucasfilm and Marvel, it is certainly the case that a lack of imagination would hinder their enjoyment.
Ha ha, that's funny! I was into Star Trek - Voyager and Deep Space 9 until about 20 years ago, but they look tired and dated now. I still enjoy well-made modern films about space. So rigidity of thinking it certainly isn't!

Cartoons I used to love when I was younger, but again, watching stuff like Tom and Jerry is like going back a very long way - it is such a tired format now.

I still see modern animations such as Coco with my grandsons, and they are very well done and quite entertaining. But I wouldn't watch them on my own. I have, literaaly, 'grown out' of that type of entertainment, which is, after all, aimed at children and young adults.
Old 28-10-2019, 16:29   #6648
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Ha ha, that's funny! I was into Star Trek - Voyager and Deep Space 9 until about 20 years ago, but they look tired and dated now. I still enjoy well-made modern films about space. So rigidity of thinking it certainly isn't!

Cartoons I used to love when I was younger, but again, watching stuff like Tom and Jerry is like going back a very long way - it is such a tired format now.

I still see modern animations such as Coco with my grandsons, and they are very well done and quite entertaining. But I wouldn't watch them on my own. I have, literaaly, 'grown out' of that type of entertainment, which is, after all, aimed at children and young adults.
In other words you watched DS9 and Voyager until they were cancelled anyway.

Actually I think the stories hold up rather well, especially Next Generation. And they look very good too, so long as you make allowances for the capabilities of the time (caveat ... the remastered NexGen episodes look great except on a UHD, high frame rate TV, which for my taste tends to make the picture contrast and colour space look like a 1980s tv soap opera, shot on video, which is a shame as it was actually all shot on 35mm film.)

Are you sure you’re just not very good at allowing your imagination to fill in the gaps where any modern sci fi or fantasy series would jam the screen with CG and faux handheld camera shake?
Old 28-10-2019, 18:34   #6649
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
In other words you watched DS9 and Voyager until they were cancelled anyway.

Actually I think the stories hold up rather well, especially Next Generation. And they look very good too, so long as you make allowances for the capabilities of the time (caveat ... the remastered NexGen episodes look great except on a UHD, high frame rate TV, which for my taste tends to make the picture contrast and colour space look like a 1980s tv soap opera, shot on video, which is a shame as it was actually all shot on 35mm film.)

Are you sure you’re just not very good at allowing your imagination to fill in the gaps where any modern sci fi or fantasy series would jam the screen with CG and faux handheld camera shake?
I watched those programmes until the end of the series. They are repeated ad nauseum now, but as I say, they appear very dated.

Given your complete denial of my views on the future of TV, I thought you would believe that I had a vivid imagination!
Old 28-10-2019, 20:27   #6650
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Actually, I think your predictions of the future of TV betray rigid thinking, not imagination - you have always fancied that everyone must, sooner or later, develop the same preferences as yourself, and you tend to go trawling the internet looking for articles that affirm the view you already hold.
Old 28-10-2019, 22:24   #6651
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

TV Player is a shell of its former self. They have a cheek charging the same price after losing so many channels.

https://tvplayer.com/channels
Old 28-10-2019, 22:33   #6652
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think you know they do.

No, I don't, Den, I have no clue as to what will be shown on Disney that will be of interest to me.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:09   #6653
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Actually, I think your predictions of the future of TV betray rigid thinking, not imagination - you have always fancied that everyone must, sooner or later, develop the same preferences as yourself, and you tend to go trawling the internet looking for articles that affirm the view you already hold.
Ooh, ouch!

In fact the prediction I made in respect of linear TV is based on viewing trends, TV industry views and common sense, but some on here won't believe what I say until it happens. Just a waiting game now.

---------- Post added at 08:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
No, I don't, Den, I have no clue as to what will be shown on Disney that will be of interest to me.
I think you have made the right call for your viewing preferences, Max. Unless you are into Star Wars, Harry Potter and the like, this is unlikely to appeal to either of us, unless we ever get the Hulu strand, which is unlikely in the short term.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:13   #6654
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

How long has Disney made Harry Potter ?
Old 29-10-2019, 08:19   #6655
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It would help if he got many of his facts right for starters as he certainly does have quite a penchant for getting it wrong that is for sure.
Old 29-10-2019, 08:31   #6656
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
HP was just an example of the kind of material that appeals more to younger people. I know it isn't Disney!

---------- Post added at 08:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It would help if he got many of his facts right for starters as he certainly does have quite a penchant for getting it wrong that is for sure.
I'm afraid, Den, that you have a penchant for misremembering.
Old 29-10-2019, 14:24   #6657
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

HBO , Sky nearing output deal renewal

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...enewal-1250682

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...deal-with-hbo/
Old 29-10-2019, 15:06   #6658
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
HBO , Sky nearing output deal renewal

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...enewal-1250682

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...deal-with-hbo/
Yes, looks like HBO Max is not going to launch in the UK for the time being.
Old 29-10-2019, 15:10   #6659
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, looks like HBO Max is not going to launch in the UK for the time being.
If this is correct it could also be a good sign for Sky Cinema keeping the first run rights to Warner Bros movies.
Old 29-10-2019, 16:06   #6660
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If this is correct it could also be a good sign for Sky Cinema keeping the first run rights to Warner Bros movies.
It's certainly very fluid at the moment, with some going down the direct to customer route and others selling the rights to others. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the next few years.
Closed Thread