Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 12-11-2019, 17:45   #2446
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What an absolute minefield. You must have to approach this like some military strategist to stay on top of it all.
I am ex-military and ex-civil service, so I have got the habit of keeping perfect records, or as best as the situation allows.

Failure to do so can open you to comebacks, even years later.

The DWP has the habit of asking "On what date did you first become a Carer?" or something equally memory-blasting.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2019, 15:16   #2447
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

From the benefits and work website:

TRIBUNALS SERVICE OVERWHELMED BY PIP APPEALS

A report by the Tribunals Service admits that they can’t keep pace with the number of PIP appeals.

The ‘Senior President of Tribunals’ Annual Report’ admits that “the rapid rise in appeal numbers has outstripped our ability to recruit and train sufficient numbers of panel members to keep pace”.

Appeal numbers plummeted in 2013, from a high of over half a million, after the DWP introduced its cynical mandatory reconsideration hurdle.

However, numbers are on the rise again, more than doubling from 112,000 in 2014 to 238,000 in 2018.

To try to cope, the Tribunals Service appointed 130 new judges, 225 medically qualified members and 125 disability qualified members last year.

They are also trying other methods to reduce the backlog, including cramming more PIP appeals into each session and trying to resolve more cases before they reach a hearing.

But the one thing that would really cut their workload - the DWP getting more decisions right - is unlikely to happen any time soon.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 15:25   #2448
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
From the benefits and work website:

TRIBUNALS SERVICE OVERWHELMED BY PIP APPEALS

A report by the Tribunals Service admits that they can’t keep pace with the number of PIP appeals.

The ‘Senior President of Tribunals’ Annual Report’ admits that “the rapid rise in appeal numbers has outstripped our ability to recruit and train sufficient numbers of panel members to keep pace”.

Appeal numbers plummeted in 2013, from a high of over half a million, after the DWP introduced its cynical mandatory reconsideration hurdle.

However, numbers are on the rise again, more than doubling from 112,000 in 2014 to 238,000 in 2018.

To try to cope, the Tribunals Service appointed 130 new judges, 225 medically qualified members and 125 disability qualified members last year.

They are also trying other methods to reduce the backlog, including cramming more PIP appeals into each session and trying to resolve more cases before they reach a hearing.

But the one thing that would really cut their workload - the DWP getting more decisions right - is unlikely to happen any time soon.
More appeals doesn't necessarily mean more wrong decisions taking place.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 15:36   #2449
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
More appeals doesn't necessarily mean more wrong decisions taking place.
This would tell you otherwise...

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...-in-two-years/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42862904

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...-back-payments
Old 13-11-2019, 15:46   #2450
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

That's all due to changes made to the rules and law. Not really "wrong" has such. Mainly down to interpretation of a few words/terms. Same sort of thing happens with other newly introduced benefits.

Still nothing to do with new demand for Tribunals.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 18:24   #2451
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The DWP announced ages ago that it wanted to move all Tribunals online "to save money".
Old 13-11-2019, 22:45   #2452
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I dropped in and gave them the docs to copy. The guy who dealt with it said the DWP have often failed to send a form to them when a case is resolved by both claimant and DWP. Their giving maximum points was a ploy to ensure the case could not be contested further.

But I showed him a copy of the letter we sent stating that they had been over-generous. He suggested I should keep proof of them receiving that letter (Post Office Signed-for) in case they ever decided to claim over-payment. The Tribunals deal with that scenario a lot.

When I got home, my daughter said that someone from that office had called asking for a "reference number". She did not understand what that meant, so I hope they'll call again. I suspect they want the P.O. receipt number, to put on her records in case the DWP decides to play silly buggers.
Similar to what happened to me last year. PIP denied after missing out by 1 point. Skipped firsts steps and deaf blind Scotland rep that helped me requested tribunal right away. After a few months I got a call offering standard rate of living and mobility. I was only looking for living. Accepted the for and 4 months later I got the letter of invite to tribunal as DWP had not bothered yo contact them to advise it was settled. I had to call DWP to prompt them to send info to say it was settled.
Old 14-11-2019, 11:57   #2453
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Similar to what happened to me last year. PIP denied after missing out by 1 point. Skipped firsts steps and deaf blind Scotland rep that helped me requested tribunal right away. After a few months I got a call offering standard rate of living and mobility. I was only looking for living. Accepted the for and 4 months later I got the letter of invite to tribunal as DWP had not bothered yo contact them to advise it was settled. I had to call DWP to prompt them to send info to say it was settled.
The social security system has never been in such a mess in this country.

Some good news for those with severely disabled partners. The supreme court has unanimously ruled that applying the bedroom tax on 'spare' rooms that are used to store medical equipment is a breach of human rights:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...er-bedroom-tax
Old 14-11-2019, 12:58   #2454
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The social security system has never been in such a mess in this country.

Some good news for those with severely disabled partners. The supreme court has unanimously ruled that applying the bedroom tax on 'spare' rooms that are used to store medical equipment is a breach of human rights:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...er-bedroom-tax
Just as well we don't tax bedrooms, then.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 13:19   #2455
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Just as well we don't tax bedrooms, then.
It only affects those on Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
Old 14-11-2019, 13:24   #2456
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It only affects those on Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
So its not a tax then is it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 15:50   #2457
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Four in five appeals processed in Wales against UK government decisions to deny people disability benefits succeeded, new data shows.

Success of appeals in Cardiff, covering Wales and south-west England, rose from 51% in 2013-14, to 80% between April and December 2018.

Charities said the success rate of appeals showed benefits assessments were beset by "poor decision-making" and "obvious inaccuracies".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50378036
Old 14-11-2019, 16:25   #2458
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So its not a tax then is it.
It's a shame that you're more interested in nit picking over terminology than the plight of severely disabled people who have wrongly had their benefits reduced.

In any case, this has been covered before if you check further back in this thread.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Yes, I saw this on the 1pm BBC news. It featured a lady who was bi polar who has had the extra stress and worry to obtain her entitlement, which won't have done her state of mental health any good.

At the end, she said something poignant as in "this could all be sorted out if they began to care".
Old 14-11-2019, 16:38   #2459
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
It's a shame that you're more interested in nit picking over terminology than the plight of severely disabled people who have wrongly had their benefits reduced.

In any case, this has been covered before if you check further back in this thread.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Yes, I saw this on the 1pm BBC news. It featured a lady who was bi polar who has had the extra stress and worry to obtain her entitlement, which won't have done her state of mental health any good.

At the end, she said something poignant as in "this could all be sorted out if they began to care".
It's a shame you're more interested in using a negatively emotive term which wrongly describes something than being accurate - you would be very upset (rightly) if someone described severely disabled people as "burdens on the taxpayers"; words have power, especially if used negatively and incorrectly.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:06   #2460
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I suggest that you take it up with the newspaper then.

This issue has already been covered recently in this thread, I see no point in going over old ground again, particularly when I suspect it's being done in order to deflect from the real issue under discussion.