Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 20-08-2019, 11:24   #2251
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And one needs to have a chance to buy a house something many of the younger generation nowadays have no chance of doing now with hefty deposits and house prices well out of their range now...
And the reason for that being the case NOW, is that in the recent past it was TOO easy. They had to make the rules tougher because of the crash.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Buying houses was very popular when I was young. The fact that young people have been priced out of the market is due to the 2008 crash. Now that we are gradually emerging from the austerity measures that followed, hopefully we can start to restore that balance.
The problem is that people on zero-hour contracts, and/or on minimum wage, or just left university with a useless degree, expect and have been led to believe is their "god-given" right, to be able to buy a huge house to sell on for an easy profit.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2019, 11:25   #2252
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What he meant was that they were a drain on the economy, not on household budgets. I think you know that, though.
So household budgets being drained by private sector companies has no effect on the economy? That's a startling claim, even by your standards
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 13:40   #2253
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
And the reason for that being the case NOW, is that in the recent past it was TOO easy. They had to make the rules tougher because of the crash.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

The problem is that people on zero-hour contracts, and/or on minimum wage, or just left university with a useless degree, expect and have been led to believe is their "god-given" right, to be able to buy a huge house to sell on for an easy profit.
Rubbish!

I know a reasonable number of people aged between 20 and 335, and I don’t know one who thinks that way.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 13:52   #2254
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Rubbish!

I know a reasonable number of people aged between 20 and 335, and I don’t know one who thinks that way.
I think someones exagerating here.
Old 20-08-2019, 14:04   #2255
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Indeed. Most would just like a home of their own rather than paying unscrupulous landlords.
Old 20-08-2019, 14:11   #2256
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
AKA - The under-occupancy penalty (also known as the under occupation penalty, Spare Room Subsidy, under-occupancy charge, under-occupation charge or size criteria). - From Wiki. But come on who calls it the 'The under-occupancy penalty'.... It is the bedroom tax in all but being pedantic. It's all too easy to have an opinion when it doesn't affect those and usually it is those with the loudest voices...

Shame it wasn't extended to the oldies. That's where most of the under occupancy properties are. Anyway it's all bull.. Those with extra bedrooms that have tried to downsize only to find out they couldn't. What's fair about that?
The Government couldn't originally include pensioners when introducing the Bedroom Tax as they had promised not to cut their benefits in their manifesto.

They did put forward proposals to include pensioners whose tenancy started after April 2016, but such was the outcry that they had to backtrack.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 14:11   #2257
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Rubbish!

No shortage of them appearing on TV programmes. What else do you think the sub-prime mortgages were and are?
Link

Quote:
Lending to individuals with poor credit histories was widespread in the run up to the global financial crisis, and was also a contributing factor.
Banks lent money to ‘subprime’ borrowers: people who could not always be relied upon to repay the loans they took out, or whose loans were too big to be realistically affordable (as opposed to ‘prime’ borrowers with impeccable borrowing pasts and a clear ability to repay).
Quote:
Despite recent falls in house prices, ministers are keen to extend property ownership to more people on lower and middle incomes in the belief that capital assets are the key to social mobility

Putting assets within reach of people of moderate means — through home ownership or the child trust fund launched last week by Mr Brown — is the key to this wider offer which Ministers want to put to the electorate.
April 2010
Quote:
And it's no good blaming global crises and poor American homeowners - like a child caught out at school blaming the others. The UK's interwoven banking, property and consumer mania was our homegrown problem that put our economy in such a mess.

The period from 1997 to 2007 saw a colossal house price boom.
This led to massive imbalance in the economy, a toxically high level of mortgage debt and a huge credit binge, as Britain went on a spending spree with money borrowed against the inflated theoretical value of property.

Quote:
Outlining housing and planning bills, he said: "Putting affordable housing within the reach not just of the few but the many is vital both to meeting individual aspirations and a better future for our country."
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 14:13   #2258
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed. Most would just like a home of their own rather than paying unscrupulous landlords.
And generally with renting a place now comes high rents which themselves can take a considerable chunk of ones monthly salary.
Old 20-08-2019, 15:40   #2259
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And generally with renting a place now comes high rents which themselves can take a considerable chunk of ones monthly salary.
Ah but it means the rich get richer and can buy more houses to rent out, whilst the poor get poorer with less chance than ever of buying. All part of the Tory masterplan.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:53   #2260
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Ah but it means the rich get richer and can buy more houses to rent out, whilst the poor get poorer with less chance than ever of buying. All part of the Tory masterplan.
As it stands it not just those on average salaries who can't get on the housing ladder as even many who are on a pretty good salary cannot even get on the housing ladder.

What we need is a housing system which is fair, provides homes for everyone, and is sustainable in the long term.

This requires sensible debate among all interested parties and appropriate planning for the future.
Old 20-08-2019, 16:25   #2261
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The idea that there's a load of younger people out there "trying to make a quick profit" from property is quite ridiculous really. For a start, even if property prices soar, where will they live when they sell up?

It would be a rather shrewd and patient investor who waits all that time to sell just before the bubble bursts, rent for a few months, and buy at lower prices.
Old 20-08-2019, 16:44   #2262
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

In my humble opinion, the provision of Housing, Education, Medical, Police, Fire, Prisons etc etc should be built at a rate that reflects the ever growing population (whether by birthrate or immigration).

The alternative is to ensure population growth doesn't impact on what we already have, and can improve upon and sustain.

Anything else is a failure and will lead to . . oh hello, we're here already
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 17:23   #2263
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Rubbish!

I think it's a fallacy that most people under 35 think the world owes them a cheap home. I think they are very aware that will not happen. There *are* people that think they are owed everything, but I think they come in all ages, and come from all social backgrounds.

I think the problem here is still the property boom. I know a lot of millennials resent the way things have happened, and I can understand why. After all, to those born after the 1970s, it seems like baby boomers had a good chance of getting a relatively well-paid job, and property was relatively cheaply available, while those under 30 today are having to deal with a dwindling supply of jobs, zero hour contracts, wages that are (in a lot of cases) rising lower than inflation, and property prices that started high and were, until recently, increasing at a rate much higher than inflation.

That said, millennials are not entirely blame-free. I've met English people who moan they don't have a job, blaming the foreigners, but in reality, they aren't willing to work, preferring to get whatever they can from benefits (and, in some cases, less legal means). I've had periods where I've had no job, but I've gone for every job I could, even unskilled manual labour, just to work.

Last edited by Stuart; 20-08-2019 at 17:28.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 17:25   #2264
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Working til 75. If we are honest about the situation those born in the 1960s sold all the major state assets, built up structural debts and deficits and enjoyed the benefits placing the burden on those born after 1980.
Old 20-08-2019, 17:33   #2265
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Working til 75. If we are honest about the situation those born in the 1960s sold all the major state assets, built up structural debts and deficits and enjoyed the benefits placing the burden on those born after 1980.
That's the other complaint I think the millenials are justified in. The very same people who had access to relatively well paid jobs, relatively cheap housing are not only the ones telling them off for being lazy and entitled, but in some cases they are also the people who (because they manage large companies who have replaced UK employee with cheaper, outsourced employees or technology) have removed their chances of employment.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote