Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2008, 00:47   #9136
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post

Yes, its a bit mischievous. But I thought it was funny.
Another unconfirmed rumour. I hear that due to adverse publicity, they'll be rebranding again first.
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2008, 00:49   #9137
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
Another unconfirmed rumour. I hear that due to adverse publicity, they'll be rebranding again first.
That is simply brilliant.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:56   #9138
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
More rumour, this received from a trusted friend...

"BT recently asked all their staff from across the whole group (not just BT retail) what they thought of Phorm/Webwise. Not a single person from within BT responded with a positive comment."
If true, it would be a demonstration of the huge culture clash, when it comes to the ideas of behavioural targeting. The BBC’s Kevin Connolly highlights that it’s not just the notion of privacy that’s different on the other side of the Atlantic. The whole concept of advertising is different too.
The United States of Advertising

They are a daily reminder of the many ways in which America – superficially so similar to Western Europe – is really profoundly different.
It’s probably the combination of both of these aspects that explains why Phorm, NebuAd, Front Porch, Adzilla and Kindsight are all American. Ok, Kindsight, formerly Project Rialto, is part of Alcatel-Lucent, so that makes it only half American.
Old 17-06-2008, 01:08   #9139
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
First off it is just a layout mockup, there are no alt tags or title tags on any elements, there will be on the final version though.

There is no username or password input boxes yet, I was just laying up where they will go.

Also, what abomination of a browser are you using? What ever it is it is no-where near standards compliant. The site renders fine in Firefox2, Firefox 3, Opera, Safari, Epiphany and as far as I know IE7 (although I don't have IE to test it on). Are you using IE 6 or something?

I can't develop for IE because I don't own a single windows computers and therefore I don't have IE, but I do code to the w3c international standards so I would recommend you choose a browser which supports those standards.

I have to code to the standards because I have no way of checking in IE to add extra code to deal with IE quirks.

I am not trying to be flippant and I appreciate the feedback but I can only code to browsers I can physically use and the standards as set out by w3c.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Just had another look and judging by the fact that you don't have support for transparency in png files, I am presuming you are in IE 6? You really should upgrade to the latest version of IE to avoid security issues or better yet switch to Firefox or Opera which both comply to the relevant standards.

Alexander Hanff
Hi Alex,

Yes I use Internet Explorer v6 & no I will not move to Internet Explorer v7 it stinks, and I don't like Firefox or Opera neither one of them.

Your site is not w3c compliant go to Cynthia Says and run a test on your site, and you will see that your site Faileds the test.

HiSoftware® Cynthia Says™ - Web Content Accessibility Report
Powered by HiSoftware Content Quality Technology. If you have a question about this output please email

Verified File Name: https://nodpi.org
Date and Time: 6/16/2008 7:39:20 PM
Failed Automated Verification

Good look sorting it out, and good look with the new job.
Old 17-06-2008, 01:26   #9140
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Hi Alex,

Yes I use Internet Explorer v6 & no I will not move to Internet Explorer v7 it stinks, and I don't like Firefox or Opera neither one of them.

Your site is not w3c compliant go to Cynthia Says and run a test on your site, and you will see that your site Faileds the test.

HiSoftware® Cynthia Says™ - Web Content Accessibility Report
Powered by HiSoftware Content Quality Technology. If you have a question about this output please email

Verified File Name: https://nodpi.org
Date and Time: 6/16/2008 7:39:20 PM
Failed Automated Verification

Good look sorting it out, and good look with the new job.
I think you missed the part where I said it is just a layup not the final site. The final site will be fully compliant to w3c standards and I will probably use the strict doctype as opposed to the transitional.

So please, I only posted it to give people an idea of how it is going to be layed out, it is not even remotely close to a completed site I haven't even closed the body and html tags in the source, it was an exercise in CSS only; that is why I said it was a sneak preview at the layout.

Ands thanks for the support on the job.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-06-2008, 01:27   #9141
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
lol! That really NEEDS to go live on a website.
Old 17-06-2008, 01:37   #9142
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I think you missed the part where I said it is just a layup not the final site. The final site will be fully compliant to w3c standards and I will probably use the strict doctype as opposed to the transitional.

So please, I only posted it to give people an idea of how it is going to be layed out, it is not even remotely close to a completed site I haven't even closed the body and html tags in the source, it was an exercise in CSS only; that is why I said it was a sneak preview at the layout.

Ands thanks for the support on the job.

Alexander Hanff
Hi Alex,

I tested https://nodpi.org with Cynthia Says not that test site of yours, and as you have seen that it Failed the test.

Good look with it.
Old 17-06-2008, 01:54   #9143
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Hi Alex,

I tested https://nodpi.org with Cynthia Says not that test site of yours, and as you have seen that it Failed the test.

Good look with it.
I didn't design that site, it is a standard wordpress template which is why I am currently redesigning it which is taking a great deal of time and effort, that's time and effort on top of -everything- else I am doing. I had an incredibly difficult week last week dealing with multiple things at once, even now I have at least 16 tasks on my task list including the site which all need to be done immediately, so I would really appreciate it if you would get off this wagon you seem to be on criticising me for something I didn't develop.

The wordpress software was used to allow us to put up a site as soon as possible after Chris Williams linked to it in the article he wrote on the protest. This was all extra stuff I needed to do on top of the interviews, on top of the research, on top of the travelling to London, on top of trying to organise the protest, on top of trying to spend time with my son and family, on top of dealing with a serious problem at University in fact the list is endless.

Now I appreciate what you are saying, but criticising me for someone else's work is hardly likely to increase my morale, take some of the weight off my shoulders or illicit a positive response from me. I have given every single day of my life to this campaign since the news came out in February so instead of criticising, a little help would be nice please.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-06-2008, 02:38   #9144
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

>Now I appreciate what you are saying, but criticising me for someone else's work is hardly likely to increase my morale, take some of the weight off my shoulders or illicit a positive response from me. I have given every single day of my life to this campaign since the news came out in February so instead of criticising, a little help would be nice please.

Everyone appreciates the amount of hard work and effort you've contributed to this campaign, Alex. Without you, we wouldn't have got this far.

If you're feeling stressed out and overwhelmed, it's OK to take a break. Have a week off and do nothing but veg. Go to the beach. Lie in the sun. You'll feel refreshed and invigorated when you come back.

The last thing we need is for you to burn out.
Old 17-06-2008, 02:49   #9145
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Hi Alex,

Right first off I am not criticising you, you have done a great job with the campaign.
Quote:
I didn't design that site, it is a standard wordpress template which is why I am currently redesigning it which is taking a great deal of time and effort, that's time and effort on top of -everything- else I am doing. I had an incredibly difficult week last week dealing with multiple things at once, even now I have at least 16 tasks on my task list including the site which all need to be done immediately, so I would really appreciate it if you would get off this wagon you seem to be on criticising me for something I didn't develop.
I am not on a wagon, as I said I wish you the best of look getting it sorted out, and Alex Stop trying to be Superman, you can only do so much in a day!

Quote:
The wordpress software was used to allow us to put up a site as soon as possible after Chris Williams linked to it in the article he wrote on the protest. This was all extra stuff I needed to do on top of the interviews, on top of the research, on top of the travelling to London, on top of trying to organise the protest, on top of trying to spend time with my son and family, on top of dealing with a serious problem at University in fact the list is endless.
Gee Alex as I said Stop trying to be Superman, spend some time with your son and your family.

Quote:
Now I appreciate what you are saying, but criticising me for someone else's work is hardly likely to increase my morale, take some of the weight off my shoulders or illicit a positive response from me. I have given every single day of my life to this campaign since the news came out in February so instead of criticising, a little help would be nice please.
Sorry but you didn't appreciate what I was saying to you, you are trying to hard to be Superman, get a good night sleep, for goodness sake Alex.

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
>Now I appreciate what you are saying, but criticising me for someone else's work is hardly likely to increase my morale, take some of the weight off my shoulders or illicit a positive response from me. I have given every single day of my life to this campaign since the news came out in February so instead of criticising, a little help would be nice please.

Everyone appreciates the amount of hard work and effort you've contributed to this campaign, Alex. Without you, we wouldn't have got this far.

If you're feeling stressed out and overwhelmed, it's OK to take a break. Have a week off and do nothing but veg. Go to the beach. Lie in the sun. You'll feel refreshed and invigorated when you come back.

The last thing we need is for you to burn out.
I agree with you 100%
Old 17-06-2008, 03:30   #9146
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
H
I am not on a wagon
Gary, being totally familiar with your postings along very similar lines on the Plusnet Community forums when they were being re-skinned I'd say you are on a wagon.

By all means go after commercial sites if they don't conform to various standards, but expecting sites being run on a voluntary basis by someone who is working for the benefit of all of us every hour available (and more besides) is not on.

You have a choice, either be grateful for whatever Alex provides without nitpicking over things which don't matter, or, if the problems viewing the site with your obsolete hardware and software are such that you can't cope with it - don't visit it!
Old 17-06-2008, 05:18   #9147
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

the Fax was basicly a slightly condensed version of the comment on
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/...c=17958#c17958

Monday, June 16, 2008, 4:08:10 PM
Phorm

Dear Popper,
Thanks for your fax. I have received quite a few in a similar vein. I have never received a "Phorm fact sheet" and, as I mentioned, have a number of reservations about them. I will be following up many of the concerns you and others detail.
Yours
Sue Miller
Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer
Liberal Democrat Spokesman on Home Affairs
House of Lords
0207 219 6042
07970 411290
Old 17-06-2008, 05:56   #9148
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Hi jelv,

I did not appreciate that post of yours one bit, I appreciate everything that Alexander Hanff has done for us!

Ok down to what you sed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Gary, being totally familiar with your postings along very similar lines on the Plusnet Community forums when they were being re-skinned I'd say you are on a wagon.
Plusnet Community forums is one thing this is totally different, you have it 100% wrong

Quote:
By all means go after commercial sites if they don't conform to various standards, but expecting sites being run on a voluntary basis by someone who is working for the benefit of all of us every hour available (and more besides) is not on.
First off I am NOT GOING for Alex, Alex made a honest mistake wen Alex said that his site was w3c compliant, and yes I will be going after commercial sites, I have Phorm in my sites.

Quote:
You have a choice, either be grateful for whatever Alex provides without nitpicking over things which don't matter, or, if the problems viewing the site with your obsolete hardware and software are such that you can't cope with it - don't visit it!
As I said I am grateful for all that Alex has done for us, as for my equipment is not obsolete, my computer has:
2 Core Processor, plus 2gb RAM
C Disk: 372 GB total
D Disk: 149 GB total
TFT Monitor 17" with a Screen Resolution of: 1024x768 pixels

Still think that my computer is obsolete?
Old 17-06-2008, 06:23   #9149
bigsanta11
Inactive

bigsanta11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now ,i feel like my head is going to implode with anger;

Quote:
From virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

I have just looked through my cookies today and found webwise cookies
there. At the moment they are set to OPT OUT. But a reacking number
seems to be included

Are you going to admit that you are/have already deployed Phorm

.webwise.net TRUE / FALSE 32504284800 OPTED_OUT YES
a.webwise.net FALSE /services/ FALSE 32504284800 uid
RespectMyPrivacy852480||
.webwise.net TRUE / FALSE 32504284800 webwise_status

Replies from some of the users that are ex telewest say they don't have the cookies,but those that are ex ntl do have the cookies.
Old 17-06-2008, 06:36   #9150
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
the Fax was basicly a slightly condensed version of the comment on
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/...c=17958#c17958

Monday, June 16, 2008, 4:08:10 PM
Phorm

Dear Popper,
Thanks for your fax. I have received quite a few in a similar vein. I have never received a "Phorm fact sheet" and, as I mentioned, have a number of reservations about them. I will be following up many of the concerns you and others detail.
Yours
Sue Miller
Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer
Liberal Democrat Spokesman on Home Affairs
House of Lords
0207 219 6042
07970 411290
Great. Nice one Popper. I think we will have a new and well versed convert on this issue. Shame that she used those words in The Lords though. I have written to Nick Clegg Lib Dem leader and asked how we can get to all their members so they can be given info on the issue. I sent a copy of the fact sheet too. Perhaps we should go to the other leaders too? Hank

Closed Thread