Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Virgin.net cancellation

Old 31-01-2006, 22:37   #1
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Thumbs down Virgin.net cancellation

I was with virgin previously- chose them because of the 1month contract as i knew i would only be in the house for 6 months. Cancelled with no problems.

As i tried to get ntl at the new house i didn't migrate virgin, but on their advice signed up again at the new address. I am now moving again so need to cancel after 6 months. The 1 month contract still exists but virgin "reserve the right to charge a £50 cancellation charge within the first 12 months".

I rang to cancel and was told i would be charged £50... i tried for a while to get them to agree not to charge me, but in the end gave up, and asked in what cirurmstances do they not charge, to be told "only when you have been with us 12 months". So the "we reserve the right" actually means "we will". Nice marketing virgin. To top it all off, the women that i spoke to in retentions was bloody rude! if she's on commission she must be earning the square root of bugger all and deservedly so!

so to virgin and their 1 month contracts!
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2006, 22:52   #2
Minbu
Inactive

Services: VM TV & BB, BT phone
Minbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to all
Re: Virgin.net cancellation

ISP's (like other companies) need to remember that there are plenty of competitors out there. If they gave more effort looking after the customers they've got, they wouldn't need to keep chasing new ones!
Minbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:33   #3
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W

I rang to cancel and was told i would be charged £50... i tried for a while to get them to agree not to charge me, but in the end gave up, and asked in what cirurmstances do they not charge, to be told "only when you have been with us 12 months". So the "we reserve the right" actually means "we will". Nice marketing virgin. To top it all off, the women that i spoke to in retentions was bloody rude! if she's on commission she must be earning the square root of bugger all and deservedly so!

Given the fact that Virgin.net is operated by NTL, I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31   #4
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Question Re: Virgin.net cancellation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
I was with virgin previously- chose them because of the 1month contract as i knew i would only be in the house for 6 months. Cancelled with no problems.

As i tried to get ntl at the new house i didn't migrate virgin, but on their advice signed up again at the new address. I am now moving again so need to cancel after 6 months. The 1 month contract still exists but virgin "reserve the right to charge a £50 cancellation charge within the first 12 months".

Are you saying you didn't read the small print, or that they actually told you that you wouldn't be charged the £50.00?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I went with them because I was on dial-up with Virgin already, so moving to ADSL was a simple account upgrade, there was no line activation charge and a free modem. I saw the 'reserve the right' clause and TBH I took it to mean 'we will charge you', but as I am not planning to move ISP for the forseeable, it didn't bother me.

Is it possible ADSL was already activated on the line at your previous house, meaning they did not incur activation charges, but they have done this time and are trying to recoup them?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 18:51   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star

I was told that if i reached the 12months (evening with a house move in the middle) then i wouldn't be charged- this is what i have done, however as i agreed to a new contract when i moved, i've apparently fallen for the classic sales/ cs BS.

It was a new line at the old house, so can't have had adsl on, it may have been active at this house though but i couldn't honestly tell you!

Ah well, i don't have any choice but pay so i will and i'll just moan about it
Old 08-02-2006, 15:17   #7
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

I gloat in your general direction and hope it'll teach you for staying with ntl. You had the opportunity to try all sorts of wonderful new ISPs, the world was your oyster, but nope you went with the rebadged ntl service.

No sympathy at all
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 20:32   #8
Chris W
cf.mega poster

ntl install in my new flat on 20th feb

me = sucker for punishment